un-welcome mice in van...a possibility?

Old January 2nd 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kev

Default un-welcome mice in van...a possibility?

Once a van is secured as far as windows and doors are concerned, are there
any ways that mice and such like are able to enter a van through warm air
ducting that runs under the body, fridge vents etc?

Old January 2nd 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

kev posted ...

Once a van is secured as far as windows and doors are concerned, are
there any ways that mice and such like are able to enter a van
through warm air ducting that runs under the body, fridge vents etc?

Anywhere with a gap larger than about a ten pence piece ..

--
Paul

Old January 2nd 04, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:24:45 +0000 (UTC), "kev"
wrote:

| Once a van is secured as far as windows and doors are concerned, are there
| any ways that mice and such like are able to enter a van through warm air
| ducting that runs under the body, fridge vents etc?

These are all *supposed* to be blocked by grids.

** A mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil **

You have been warned.

Fill *any* holes you drill with flexible silicone sealant.

Dave F

Old January 2nd 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:49:58 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

| kev posted ...
|
| Once a van is secured as far as windows and doors are concerned, are
| there any ways that mice and such like are able to enter a van
| through warm air ducting that runs under the body, fridge vents etc?
|
| Anywhere with a gap larger than about a ten pence piece ..

Sorry, a gap larger than a pencil.
I learned that on a Food Hygiene course.
The instructress knew what she was talking about.

Dave F

Old January 2nd 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
wemfish

wrote:

Once a van is secured as far as windows and doors are concerned, are there
any ways that mice and such like are able to enter a van through warm air
ducting that runs under the body, fridge vents etc?

Yes, they can chew through just about any part of a caravan exept
steel. . . don't leave any food in the van to attract them and they
will have no reason to want to get in.
Old January 2nd 04, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"kev" wrote in message
Once a van is secured as far as windows and doors are concerned, are there
any ways that mice and such like are able to enter a van through warm air
ducting that runs under the body, fridge vents etc?

Yes, we had a problem with them over winter 2002, couldn't figure out how
they were getting in. There seemed only two possibilities, either the
through-floor air vents or the blown-air piping.
1. I noticed that at one point the seal around the blown-air piping had
split at the point where it entered the caravan beneath the carver heater.
It only left a tiny gap that looked too small for a mouse but I resealed it
anyway.
2. The through-floor air vents had a mesh cover but I added more mesh to
them making the overall mesh size smaller but still allowing free flow of
air.
Since then we've had no more mouse problems though I couldn't say which of
the two 'solutions' above did the trick. I read somewhere that if a hole is
big enough to push a plastic biro into then it's big enough for a mouse to
get through - that was my yardstick when doing the anti-mouse work.

Old January 2nd 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Dave Fawthrop posted ...

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 19:49:58 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

kev posted ...

Once a van is secured as far as windows and doors are concerned, are
there any ways that mice and such like are able to enter a van
through warm air ducting that runs under the body, fridge vents etc?

Anywhere with a gap larger than about a ten pence piece ..

Sorry, a gap larger than a pencil.

I have a large pencil ..

I learned that on a Food Hygiene course.
The instructress knew what she was talking about.

Heh .. no worries .. I don't have the problem .. but thanks for the info ..

--
Paul

Old January 2nd 04, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

wrote:

Once a van is secured as far as windows and doors are concerned, are
there any ways that mice and such like are able to enter a van
through warm air ducting that runs under the body, fridge vents etc?

Yes, they can chew through just about any part of a caravan exept
steel. . . don't leave any food in the van to attract them and they
will have no reason to want to get in.

little sods like to eat soap too ...

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

http://wrexhamseals.tripod.com

Old January 2nd 04, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Funkyman

"kev" wrote in message
Once a van is secured as far as windows and doors are concerned, are there
any ways that mice and such like are able to enter a van through warm air
ducting that runs under the body, fridge vents etc?

The Senator Bailey has a nice entrance for them in the front box, the floor
of the box has a large enough hole for a cat to get in to. They then can
climb up the inside, between the outer skin and end up in the front top
cupboards.

My friend had this problem, the damned things had a party in his new van.

Dave