Lunar Chateau - broken water pump - HELP??

Old January 2nd 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

Default Lunar Chateau - broken water pump - HELP??

Just returned from New Year in Newark - our third trip of 2003 (and first of
2004) to the Caravan Club site at Newark.

Also, our first encounter with frost whilst caravanning.

I took the precaution of taking the pump out of the onboard water-tank
before retiring one night, as a heavy frost was expected. Sure enough, next
morning, the water tank did contain ice.

Having broken this up, and filled it with water, I decided to put the pump
back in. Unfortunately, the frost had also made the plastic more brittle,
and I managed to break it whilst getting it into the tank.

My question? What is the way forward now? I have posted pictures of the
damage and of the connection from pump to caravan through bulkhead @
http://tinyurl.com/22ob9 (for information, the caravan is a 2003 Lunar
Chateau 500, and the water tank is located in the gas locker). Is it a case
of ordering a new pump and replacing it (how do the leads connect - the
water pipe seems to go through the bulkhead via a screw fixing, but the
electric lead is fed round the side), or is it back to the dealers for a new
one to be fitted?

Information to make answering the question easier - I am not a DIY expert,
and I do have a couple of minor warranty repairs to be carried out, which I
was hoping to leave until the first service in late Spring, early Summer.
We hope to use the caravan again later in January, and in February, and
would prefer to be able to use the taps then, but could manage without if
need be.

Apologies for the length of the post - and many thanks in advance for any
advice.

Old January 3rd 04, 06:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
jo

Afraid from the pic it appears that you will require a new pump - or at
least a service kit. This will cost about 29 or 20.
The plastic from my experience is "un-glueable".

I have found that the water container can freeze, but if you cover it with a
suitable cover it can be prevented. I have also used a wrap around heating
band the sort that you put around wine fermentation containers (got from
Boots) this when connected keeps the water above freezing when used in
conjunction with a jacket.

--
(All Incoming and Outgoing Emails Scanned With Norton Antivirus 2003)

Old January 3rd 04, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

If the caravan is still under warranty take it back to the dealer, aor at
least give them a phone and see what they say.
Pumps are quite easy to come by, and most are interchangeable being on the
end of a tube.

Old January 3rd 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"jo" wrote in message
Afraid from the pic it appears that you will require a new pump - or at
least a service kit. This will cost about 29 or 20.
The plastic from my experience is "un-glueable".

I have found that the water container can freeze, but if you cover it with

suitable cover it can be prevented. I have also used a wrap around heating
band the sort that you put around wine fermentation containers (got from
Boots) this when connected keeps the water above freezing when used in
conjunction with a jacket.

Many thanks for your reply. I was just about sure that I would need a new
pump, its really a question of how to fit it, as I couldn't see any way of
detaching the old one in such a way as to enable fitting of a new one.

It wasn't the freezing of water in the tank that was the problem, simply the
plastic becoming more brittle in sub-zero temperature, and so snapping when
being replaced in the tank. Of course, if I hadn't removed the pump in the
first place, and had been able to keep the water above freezing, it would
never have happened........

Old January 3rd 04, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"M.H. Greaves." wrote in message
If the caravan is still under warranty take it back to the dealer, aor at
least give them a phone and see what they say.
Pumps are quite easy to come by, and most are interchangeable being on the
end of a tube.

Many thanks for your reply - it is still under warranty, so I will give the
dealer a call to see what they suggest.

Old January 3rd 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

You may find that the hose is a bouble chambered affair, one chamber usually
the larger one is the water hose, and the other is for the electrics, so the
electrics are kept dry, and the wiring seperate. In my pump there are only
two connections, and they can be any way around.
regards.
"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
news

Old January 3rd 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

From my experience with a Cassette Porta Potti pump, the replacement will come
with a short length of electric cable and two inline splice connectors, plus
some heatshrink sleeving. The pump should also come with a full set of
connection instructions which are foolproof (even I managed to do it!). I found
that in the absence of a heat gun my wife's 1kW hair dryer did the job on the
heatshrink sleeving perfectly.
The hosing should detach from the old bit and attach to the new pump without
much trouble.

Cheers, Peter.

:
: I have found that the water container can freeze, but if you cover it with a
: suitable cover it can be prevented. I have also used a wrap around heating
: band the sort that you put around wine fermentation containers (got from
: Boots) this when connected keeps the water above freezing when used in
: conjunction with a jacket.
:
: --
: (All Incoming and Outgoing Emails Scanned With Norton Antivirus 2003)
:
: "Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
: ...
:

Old January 4th 04, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message
From my experience with a Cassette Porta Potti pump, the replacement will

come
with a short length of electric cable and two inline splice connectors,

plus
some heatshrink sleeving. The pump should also come with a full set of
connection instructions which are foolproof (even I managed to do it!). I

found
that in the absence of a heat gun my wife's 1kW hair dryer did the job on

the
heatshrink sleeving perfectly.
The hosing should detach from the old bit and attach to the new pump

without
much trouble.

Cheers, Peter.

Very many thanks for your advice, much appreciated

Old January 4th 04, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David H Jones

I have a Lunar Chateau 500 too.
I saw your pictures ( http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/287745111 ) and
can confirm that by removing the corner piece (where the wire comes
from) there is an electrical connection just behind it.
You just terminate your new pump's connections in there. It is quite
easy.
I never had the manual for my caravan - did you get one?
Yours
Dave
Old January 4th 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"David H Jones" wrote in message
om...
I never had the manual for my caravan - did you get one?
Yours
Dave

No. I enquired at the dealer, and they said they had never seen one for a
Chateau!