Driving through France

Old January 4th 04, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
valleyboy

Default Driving through France

Hi
I have driven in France over many years but not with a caravan. What do you
think is a sensible daily mileage to get to the south. I have a 2.8 Shogun
with a 4 metre caravan? There are two drivers and two kids aboard.

Do you think 400 miles on motorway is too much?

Thanks in advance

valleyboy

Old January 4th 04, 06:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken Fraser

"valleyboy" wrote in message
Hi
I have driven in France over many years but not with a caravan. What do

you
think is a sensible daily mileage to get to the south. I have a 2.8 Shogun
with a 4 metre caravan? There are two drivers and two kids aboard.

Do you think 400 miles on motorway is too much?

Thanks in advance

valleyboy

Hi
if you only drive a short distance in this country, then any journey of 400
miles is going to be a challenge. On the other hand, if you regularly drive
long distances, then it will take less out of you.
I have only driven in parts of France and not gone from north to south, but
the bits I have driven I found extremely relaxing in comparison to here
(even into Paris centre which was easier than geting into London) - much
less traffic on the roads which makes a big difference.
Its down to you.
Regards
Ken

Old January 4th 04, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian West

Last April I drove from Le Havre to Sorrento in 2 days. First day we
made it almost to Genoa and on to Sorrento the next. I make sure that we
have a couple of good breaks at lunch and late afternoon and when I feel
I've had enough find an Aires and stop for the night. I think that if
you do not tie yourself to a certain distance and stop when you feel
like it you'll have no problem.

In message , Ken Fraser
writes

"valleyboy" wrote in message
[...]

Bezalbub

Old January 4th 04, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I have a 2.8 Shogun with a 4 metre caravan? There are two drivers and two
kids aboard.

Do you think 400 miles on motorway is too much?

Tthe first two days from Calais I do 350 miles each day. Only one driver
and we have good rest stops. Don't use autoroutes all the way either.
Eight hours on autoroutes driving averaging 50mph is easily attainable.
Allow a couple of hours for stops. 9am to 7pm day.
DaveK.

Old January 4th 04, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 01:17:03 +0000 (UTC), "valleyboy"
wrote:

Hi
I have driven in France over many years but not with a caravan. What do you
think is a sensible daily mileage to get to the south. I have a 2.8 Shogun
with a 4 metre caravan? There are two drivers and two kids aboard.

Do you think 400 miles on motorway is too much?

If you are using motoways 400-500 miles quite easy. Last year we did
400 miles a day going down to Italy my wife drove about 100 miles each
day & we didn't set off till about 11:00 each day & have a habit of
stopping at hypermarkets a couple of times for over an hour time.
Through France we do about 50/50 Autoroute/Route National.

Lenny
Old January 4th 04, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"valleyboy" wrote in message
Hi
I have driven in France over many years but not with a caravan. What do

you
think is a sensible daily mileage to get to the south. I have a 2.8 Shogun
with a 4 metre caravan? There are two drivers and two kids aboard.

Do you think 400 miles on motorway is too much?

Thanks in advance

Valleyboy

It makes for a much more pleasurable holiday if you make the journey part of
the holiday. The journey from Calais to the South can be done in two days.
Your children might not share your enthusiasm for being in a car for two
days solid each way! It might take longer in the peak holiday times simply
because the French themselves are all on holiday. My advice would be to plan
to stop at a campsite for the night rather than on an Aire, it would allow
the kids a bit more freedom and you are likely to get a more peaceful night.
Have a look at my web site I have a fairly comprehensive list of campsites I
have stayed on en route to the South and for more info on campsites near the
autoroute have a look at this link
http://users.pandora.be/leo.huybrechts/gb-frame.htm

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old January 4th 04, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James W. West

"valleyboy" wrote in message
Hi
I have driven in France over many years but not with a caravan. What do

you
think is a sensible daily mileage to get to the south. I have a 2.8 Shogun
with a 4 metre caravan? There are two drivers and two kids aboard.

Do you think 400 miles on motorway is too much?

Thanks in advance

valleyboy

A lot depends on your children. It will have a cumulative affect on them and
may make them reluctant to repeat in subsequent years. We have holidayed in
France about 6 times (without a caravan) either a Eurocamp type holiday or a
gite.

I have tended to try and get there as quickly as I can to get a full
fortnight on site. This has meant doing 1000 miles in 24 hours on several
occasions. Last year I had real difficulty persuading my family to go, with
the journey home being cited as the main reason they were reluctant.

This year I have given up and bought a caravan, with the idea of holidaying
in Britain.

We have also caravanned a lot previously, with my fathers caravan, but have
always booked a minimum of 2-3 nights on each site. Again there has been a
reluctance to travel two days in a row. We have never felt the same pressure
to be somewhere in a caravan and have regarded it as a multisite holiday,
with some closer and some further from home, rather than a holiday with a
long journey to get there. I tend to restrict my travelling to 300 miles or
so per day with the van, although generally less than that. We will usually
stop for most of the afternoon and take in a tourist attraction of some sort
rather than travel all day, again to keep the children amused.

So to summarise I suppose- when going to France I have generally regarded
the holiday as being there, and the journey just something stuck on to each
end to get through as best as possible. For me best means quickest although
my family don't necessarily agree. When caravanning I have always regarded
the journey as an integral part of the holiday, to be enjoyed rather than
rushed.

James

Old January 4th 04, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chuck

Personally I think driving 400 miles a day in France is too much especially
with young kids. We have driven from Cherbourg to the Vendee many times that
is around 300 miles I have done it in one day, but never again. I would
split your journey up say 100 miles per day per driver.

This will make your travelling part of your holiday, the last thing you want
is to remember your holiday as a great one apart from the long journey down.

Chuck

Old January 4th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:19:53 -0000, "Chuck" , wrote:

Personally I think driving 400 miles a day in France is too much especially
with young kids. We have driven from Cherbourg to the Vendee many times that
is around 300 miles I have done it in one day, but never again. I would
split your journey up say 100 miles per day per driver.

A lot depends on the children, and on the parents!

When I was 7 and my sister 4, so it must have been the late 1970s, our
parents took us on holiday to Spain. We drove from the Channel ports,
and the journey took less than 48 hours each way. It was fine, as we
spent most of the journey asleep, and when we were awake we were kept
amused by the "passenger" parent.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old January 4th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Evans of Sprot

wrote:

Hi
I have driven in France over many years but not with a caravan. What do you
think is a sensible daily mileage to get to the south. I have a 2.8 Shogun
with a 4 metre caravan? There are two drivers and two kids aboard.

Do you think 400 miles on motorway is too much?

If you are using motoways 400-500 miles quite easy. Last year we did
400 miles a day going down to Italy my wife drove about 100 miles each
day & we didn't set off till about 11:00 each day & have a habit of
stopping at hypermarkets a couple of times for over an hour time.
Through France we do about 50/50 Autoroute/Route National.

Lenny

Unless time is very pressing I can't imagine why you'd want to try to
cover such large distances. Just think what you are passing by;
villages, towns, restaurants, rivers, historical sites etc. etc. Take
it easy man!