Norway 2004

Old January 4th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rich Gwent

Default Norway 2004

I have been looking through the various brochures and an article in Caravan
life and decided Norway is going to be my main holiday this year, stunning
scenery and a site within 100 miles of Bergen to base ourselves made up my
mind. Then my wife started working out the cost of taking the car and van
over on the ferry. Came out at close on 1000!! I have been waiting for the
club offices to reopen to see what they can do the trip for. Has anyone in
the group been over recently or know of any cost saving ideas?
Thanks in advance

Richard

Old January 4th 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

If you want to see the most magnificent scenery this side of Atlantic then
go and just accept the cost; Switzerland is next best.
Last time we went was via Gothenburg but it is a long drive north. I would
just go again to Bergen and carry as much food and drink as possible to keep
costs down. Most of the caravan sites are fairly basic.

Old January 4th 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
wemfish

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:10:19 -0000, kqr wrote:

In article ,
wrote

I have been looking through the various brochures and an article in Caravan
life and decided Norway is going to be my main holiday this year, stunning
scenery and a site within 100 miles of Bergen to base ourselves made up my
mind. Then my wife started working out the cost of taking the car and van
over on the ferry. Came out at close on 1000!! I have been waiting for the
club offices to reopen to see what they can do the trip for. Has anyone in
the group been over recently or know of any cost saving ideas?
Thanks in advance
Richard

Don't go? The only alternative is to use a CC ferry, drive to Dmark
and get a ferry there but overall the cost of fuel etc will work out
at pretty much the same. It's all sewed up.

Just checked it out on AutoRoute - 1300 mile drive, No need for a
second ferry if you go to Copenhagen + the CC ferry at this end . .(+
however many miles to dover at this end) maybe 400 total?. . .one
hell of a drive but you could break it up though. . . .

Old January 4th 04, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

"Rich Gwent" wrote in message
I have been looking through the various brochures and an article in

Caravan
life and decided Norway is going to be my main holiday this year, stunning
scenery and a site within 100 miles of Bergen to base ourselves made up my
mind. Then my wife started working out the cost of taking the car and van
over on the ferry. Came out at close on 1000!! I have been waiting for

the
club offices to reopen to see what they can do the trip for. Has anyone in
the group been over recently or know of any cost saving ideas?
Thanks in advance

Richard

Rich,

Been to Norway three times now (twice with motorcaravan).

You can't beat it for scenery (if that's what you're after).

Costs depend very much on when you can go. DFSS (Gothenburg crossing via
south tip of Norway) used to be quite competitive, but it doesn't take van's
in prime season now. If you're out of season its worth a try.

Otherwise, its a long run round via the Hook, or Denmark (bridges all the
way from there if you pick your route via Sweden).Bit of a waste if you're
looking to spend your time in Norway.

We bit the bullet last time and booked Fjord Line direct to Bergen (5% off
with C&CC I think). It has great advantages, 'cos it drops you right where
you want to be.

Worth loading up for the trip, but food for self catering is not
prohibitively expensive, but anything in restaurants etc. generally is.

If you like a drink, Beer in supermarkets is about UK price, but anything
stronger is v expensive (and being non-EU, you can't take much in - though
we didn't get any sort of check!).

I'd suggest using a couple of sites at least, in order to get variety, and
venturing a little further North, but Flam, north of Bergen is a reasonable
site, good for public transport for touring.

Bob

--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old January 4th 04, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Rich Gwent" wrote in message
I have been looking through the various brochures and an article in

Caravan
life and decided Norway is going to be my main holiday this year,

Friends living in Blankenberg we usually meet in south of France, didn't
head that way in 2001 as he always had a wish to visit Norway. Getting on in
years so they made the decision. Off they went and it rained and rained and
rained.
Believe the scenery is great when not raining.
DaveK.

Old January 5th 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rich Gwent

"Bob Douglas" wrote in message
[...]

Many thanks for all the replies. Spoke to a very helpful lady at the CC. All
booked now, travelling out on 18 August for 12 days with Fjiord line, didn't
fancy the long haul around Europe. CC brought the cost down to 756. so a
big saving. Also booked the Flam campsite for the stay, thanks Bob for the
recommendation. Just got to while away the time now 'til August

Old January 5th 04, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

Rich,

last time we went (2001) was mid August to September.

Flam site was not full at that time, and as we went further North (we went
well north of Narvik!) things got even less busy.

Hope you enjoy your stay - first time we went to Flam (20 years ago) it was
very isolated - in by train or ferry - but the opening of the road tunnel
has now made it very accessible by road. (Longest in Europe, if not the
world, I believe, and all toll free)

You'll find ferries (at least solo) surprisingly cheap compared with UK.Its
worth trying to get hold of some ferry timetables and area brochures from
the Norwegian Tourist Office, the times and fares help you plan days out!

Worthwhile doing the 'Norway in a Nutshell' tour from Flam for a good day
out.

Enjoy.

Bob

Old January 5th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

"Rich Gwent" wrote
Many thanks for all the replies. Spoke to a very helpful lady at the

CC. All
booked now, travelling out on 18 August for 12 days with Fjiord line,

didn't
fancy the long haul around Europe. CC brought the cost down to 756.

so a
big saving. Also booked the Flam campsite for the stay, thanks Bob for

the
recommendation. Just got to while away the time now 'til August

I see you're booked up now and this may seem like heresy anyway, but in
case anyone else is interested:

We took our car across for a couple of weeks touring in 2002. We found
hotel accommodation to be extremely good value, especially half board
and the food was generally good to excellent. Accommodation was one of
the few things that was inexpensive, like-for-like cheaper than the UK -
that's always providing you didn't want alcohol with your meal.
Alcohol's real expensive, if you like a nightcap, take a bottle (or two)
with you.

We sailed with Fjordline from Newcastle to Bergen, returning from
Stavanger. Fjordline provide a discounted rate hotel booking service
similar to the one Brittany Ferries offer for France so you can plan
your own tour. That way you can see more of the country and at the same
time save fuel and ferry tolls (which soon add up if you keep crossing
fjords).

I don't know if other ferry companies do this but we were able to save
the first night's hotel bill by staying overnight in our cabin on the
docked ferry. We could still get on/off and look around Bergen as we
wished. I can't remember how much it cost but it was negligible,
something like 10 irrespective of cabin class; that made us plump for a
luxury cabin for the crossing because we got to keep the same one for
the night in port. Well worth it.

We thought late May was a good time to visit, when the apple blossom's
out and there's still some snow on the roadside across the higher fjells
(we even saw cross-country skiers) but you have to watch out for opening
seasons, many attractions only fully open late May/early June and you
don't want to be too early.

The other thing about Norway is rain: even more than the Scots, the
Norwegians just don't seem to notice it; it's so common.

We only got as far north as Alesund before we headed back south but
we'll be back to do more of the north and to repeat the western fjords
where the scenery is spectacular. We didn't find the south east
particularly interesting. Well that's not quite fair. It is interesting,
green rolling hills, rivers and lakes but no comparison to the wild
rugged beauty of the western fjords.

Stewart

PS. Apologies to the existing Stewart. I've only just got interested in
caravans and I didn't realise there was already a Stewart posting in
this ng until just now - as a courtesy I'll change to Stewart R in
future.