mastic sealer

Old January 4th 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Camper Man

Default mastic sealer

Hi,

I am looking for a supplier of mastic sealer, in rolls, I am replacing all
the edging strips and awning rails on a coachbuilt motorhome due to leaks,
can someone point me in the right direction of a good supplier.

thanks.

Simon

Old January 4th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:28:14 -0000, "Camper Man"
wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a supplier of mastic sealer, in rolls, I am replacing all
the edging strips and awning rails on a coachbuilt motorhome due to leaks,
can someone point me in the right direction of a good supplier.

thanks.

Many caravan dealers stock it. The last time I was in Lwdhams caravans
Northern branch at Huddersfield they had lots of the stuff on the
shelves.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old January 5th 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"bill lord" wrote in message

Many caravan dealers stock it. The last time I was in Lwdhams caravans
Northern branch at Huddersfield they had lots of the stuff on the
shelves.

If Huddersfield area,

West Riding Leisure
Perseverance Mills, Lockwood Scar, Huddersfield

They do repairs etc. and have a very good accessory and parts, some salvaged
at good prices, shop upstairs over the workshops.
I bought the selant they use.

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 5th 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

you'll get it cheap enough from a caravan dealer.
Why rolls? i was going to use these when i did a reseal last spring but it
was going to be too dear, so i just did it the old fashioned way with the
tubes and the sealant gun. Worked out at about 2 a tube., yes you'll use
more on the awning rail but it'll be dearer with the rolls.

Old January 5th 04, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

What sealant DO they use? i used to use IDL99, until i found that the dealer
i usually went to had another make by Hodgsons, caled sealfix, its white and
cleaner/ easier to work with. and about the same price as IDL.

Old January 5th 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Camper Man

Thanks for the help,

I have a chevy motorhome and it leaks everywhere, so I have the insides
stripped out to tackle the damp woodwork, it is a coachbuilt, and you have
the metal trim that is screwed on and sealed, the trim covers ALL the edges
of the body!, I thought about using sikaflex in a tube instead of rolls of
mastic sealer, I am in Ireland and can't seem to find anyone stocking the
rolls!.

should I use sikaflex??, I like the idea that it bonds as well as seals!.

Simon

Old January 5th 04, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

If the sealant you have removed came away easy, then i would not use
sikaflex, its too permanent, i only use it as a glue/sealant, on critical
areas, that are prone to extremes, such as movement, if you used sika' and
you got another leak you'll find it next to impossible to remove the stuff!
Caravans are subject to a wide range of forces some of which are quite
extreme, its because theyre towd around and you cant guarantee the road
surface or the conditions the caravan is being towed in, imagine for
instance the forces on your caravan in a snake, or going around a bend, on
an uneven road surafce, even over bumps, or high wind, all these take their
toll on the caravan body. The motor home is quite similar, only its mounted
on a chassis, the same chassis as the main vehicle. At my work we have a
panel van very similar to the transit luton van, and when youre out on the
road in it it makes a hell of a noise, its even worse when its windy, you
wont hear much of this in a motor home because its padded out and panelled
inside to make it warm, and cosy, but it still takes a pounding when on the
road.
The seal strip youre after is designed to be flexible, so it moves with the
panels on the motor home/caravan, without losing the seal or the
flexibility.
Only use the sika' on construction work such as the joins between the cab
and the body, and similar, but not for the other seals.
regards.
news