First French trip to Vendee - Advice please!

Old January 4th 04, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Westwell

Default First French trip to Vendee - Advice please!

Hi all,

We are planning our first trip to France with friends and are looking for
advice.

We are two couples both with two children who are all girls aged between 4
and 10, the adults are a little older!

The plan is to visit the Atlantic Coast and from the Caravan Club "Travel
service in Europe" brochure we were looking at the Vendee area and in
particular the "La Yole" site.

I would be interested in any comments from anyone that has visited this area
or better still this particular site. Our understanding is that it is close
to a sandy beach and also a fishing port, the kids will be more interested
in a good beach so is this a good choice site?

What is the Atlantic Coast like to surfing (bodyboarding for the kids),
previously we have visited Woolocombe in the summer holiday where the surf
is great for this sort of activity.

The other main concern is getting there! We will be travelling from
Bracknell and Hastings and would prefer a longer Ferry journey and shorter
drive so were thinking of the Portsmouth crossing. Where is the best place
to go for a good deal on a ferry crossing? is the CC the better option and
is it wise to arrange the whole trip through the CC?

We would be travelling at peak times around the beginning of the summer
holidays but wondered what we might expect to pay approximately for a
Portsmouth - Le Harve crossing if we book it now?

The facilities we would be looking for on site would be along the lines of a
super pitch (water/waste) close to the beach and shops etc so we could
lounge around with minimal driving, the duration of the stay would be two
weeks.

Any advice would be appreciated that would help us choose a holiday/location
that a family would not be disappointed with and that didn't require a
second mortgage!

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

Old January 5th 04, 06:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

Paul Westwell wrote:

The other main concern is getting there! We will be travelling from
Bracknell and Hastings and would prefer a longer Ferry journey and shorter
drive so were thinking of the Portsmouth crossing. Where is the best place
to go for a good deal on a ferry crossing? is the CC the better option and
is it wise to arrange the whole trip through the CC?

Get prices from CC and from P&O directly.

We would be travelling at peak times around the beginning of the summer
holidays but wondered what we might expect to pay approximately for a
Portsmouth - Le Harve crossing if we book it now?

Around £650 for car and van -ouch! If you have the time, sailing
off-peak saves a lorra dosh.

Stuart
--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old January 5th 04, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tony

We travel from newcastle to vendee every year and the best route is poole -
st malo, i costs a bit extra but it is only 125 mile drive on the other
side, if you like quiet beaches for surfing your going to the best place,
cant comment on la yole but look for a cheaper option away from st gilles
croix de vie, as they make your holiday really expensive,

one word of advice
your adventure starts when you leave home, so enjoy every part of it!
"Stuart Bell" wrote in message
ipex.com...

Old January 5th 04, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message
Hi all,

We are planning our first trip to France with friends and are looking for
advice.

We are two couples both with two children who are all girls aged between 4
and 10, the adults are a little older!

Paul,

We have been visiting the Vendée for many years but our needs are now very
different from yours as we are retired and the children are grown up.
Therefore I would hesitate to give advice but the young families we see
around St Jeans de Monts and St Gilles Croix de Vie appear to be having a
great time. Our delights are in the walking and cycling combined with wild
life spotting on the marshes. We always stay at the little municipal site at
Soullans which is quiet and priced for a caravan and two at about €9 a
night,
but it is about 14 km from the beaches and has no entertainment. I think
the best I could do is to refer you to Angel Bird's Vendée Pages at
http://www.the-vendee.co.uk/ This has a wealth of information and I think
her book is the best there is on the region.

Do go to the Vendée. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Regards.

Dave Dew

Old January 5th 04, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Joe R

Try this site for good crossing rates and sites, you can't get much
cheaper I've found.

http://www.select-site.co.uk/home.cfm

Joe R
Old January 5th 04, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Glynn

Our first trip abroad with our folding camper was to the Vendee about 3
years ago, people on site where surprised how far we had come for our first
stint driving abroad. We got the P&O Portsmouth to Cherbourg ferry that
leaves around lunchtime and arrives about 6.30p.m. in Cherbourg, we have
still done the same run for the last two years, we then stay at a very good
municipal site about 3/4 hr drive away at St Saveur Le Vicomte for the night
then travel at our leisure the next day.
We arrived at our site in the Vendee mid afternoon(even after getting lost
in Nantes!!) We stayed at Le Bahamas Beach at St Gilles Croix de Vie an
excellent site with a short walk to the beach, I can recommend the following
website for independent reviews http://www.campsitereviews.com/ on the site
we was at and others in the surrounding area. So far we have done all our
booking through the Camping and Caravanning Club as a complete package and
have never had any problems, apart from the municipal site which I rang
direct and luckily my lad speaks french which helped.

[...]

---

Old January 5th 04, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter R.

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 00:33:42 -0000, "Paul Westwell"
wrote:

[...]

We spent a week at la Yole last year. The site is excellently
maintained. Showers, toilets and stuff is above averagem and cleaned
twice a day. At night there was an armed guard at the entrance, that
walked patrols as well. Plots aren't extravagantly large, but well
maintained and flat. The access roads between the plots aren't very
wide, so if you'va a 'van that's 2.50m wide you'd better warn them at
the gate.
All in all I'd say it's a first rate site.

Peter R.
Old January 5th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

news
wrote:
We spent a week at la Yole last year. The site is excellently
maintained. Showers, toilets and stuff is above averagem and cleaned
twice a day. At night there was an armed guard at the entrance, that
walked patrols as well.

Peter,

Are you sure you mean an armed guard. That is someone with a gun or other
weapon. I have been visiting this region for about twenty years and have
never seen an armed guard. The area is so peaceful. The French Gendarmes
are armed and we very occasionally see some of these but have never seen
anybody else 'armed'. The Municipal Police at St Gille and St Jeans de Mont
are certainly not 'armed'.

I hope you were mistaken.

Regards.

Dave Dew

Old January 5th 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

Stephen Glynn wrote:

we then stay at a very good
municipal site about 3/4 hr drive away at St Saveur Le Vicomte for the night
then travel at our leisure the next day.

Sounds ideal for us next year! Do you reckon booking is necessary -
usually isn't for municipals.

Stuart