Towing Caravans - Test recently passed

Old January 5th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Foxhunter

Default Towing Caravans - Test recently passed

Right, lets open up another can of worms ;-) My daughter passed her driving
test for a car in November 2002. Is she or is she not allowed to tow a
trailer?

She says not, i say yes, providing it not heavier than car who is right etc.
etc

Dave

Old January 5th 04, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:26:05 -0000, "Foxhunter"
wrote:

| Right, lets open up another can of worms ;-) My daughter passed her driving
| test for a car in November 2002. Is she or is she not allowed to tow a
| trailer?
|
| She says not, i say yes, providing it not heavier than car who is right etc.
| etc

Which groups does her driving licence say she is allowed to drive?

--
Dave Fawthrop No Orange Cable(9 of 9) Wireing.
TVs etc. need as many volts as possible. Thin long wires have a high

Old January 5th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Foxhunter wrote:

Right, lets open up another can of worms ;-) My daughter passed her
driving test for a car in November 2002. Is she or is she not allowed
to tow a trailer?

She says not, i say yes, providing it not heavier than car who is
right etc. etc

Dave

Yes, assuming she has a Category B licence, she *is* allowed to tow a
trailer subject to certain weight restrictions - which are slightly more
complicated than your summary above. The definition of Category B says:

"Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500Kg having not more than 8
passenger seats with a trailer up to 750Kg. Combinations of towing vehicles
in Category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not
exceed 3500Kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of
the towing vehicle"

My interpretation of this is that if the trailer is less than 750Kg, the car
can be any weight you like up to 3500Kg - and can even be lighter than the
trailer.

Once you get above 750Kg, the whole combination must be less than 3500Kg and
the MAM of the trailer must be less than the Kerb Weight of the car. Note
that MAM is Maximum Authorised Mass (as plated on the trailer) and applies
even if the trailer is not fully loaded. In other words, if the trailer
*could* be heavier than the car, you can't tow it - even if it isn't! Also
if the MAM of the car and that of the trailer add up to more than 3500Kg,
it's no go even if they are actually loaded to less than this.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old January 5th 04, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Foxhunter

B + B1.

Dave

Old January 5th 04, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Foxhunter

That is what i read. She has read it and misunderstood it...........

Dave
"LunnBelleyetere" wrote in message
Right, lets open up another can of worms ;-) My daughter passed her

driving
| test for a car in November 2002. Is she or is she not allowed to tow a
| trailer?
|
| She says not, i say yes, providing it not heavier than car who is right

For tests passed after 1st jan 1997
According to the dvla web site if the towing vehicle does not exceed

3500kg you
can tow up to 750 kg or providing both towing vehicle and trailer combined

do
not exceed 3500kg you can tow a trailer up to the unladen weight of the

car.
cat B licence

Old January 5th 04, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

Any one who passed their test prior to 1997 is allowed to tow a caravan, but
anyone who passed their test after 1997 has to have at least 1yr experience
driving solo, then to tow a caravan must pass a towing course which i
believe is in 2 parts, i.e practical and theory, and that will allow her to
tow a caravan but i think there will be a restriction on it cant remember
exactly, but thats what the law says.
you can contact DVLA.
regards.

Old January 5th 04, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

any one who passed after 1/1/1997 will need to sit a further category, (B)
to be able to tow, any one who passed prior to 1st jan 1997 already has
this.

Old January 5th 04, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

M.H. Greaves. wrote:

any one who passed after 1/1/1997 will need to sit a further
category, (B) to be able to tow, any one who passed prior to 1st jan
1997 already has this.

This doesn't stack up with my information - or with that provided by other
posters.

Please quote the DVLA document which says that - plus the bit in your other
post about having to drive solo for a year.

What category of licence do believe new drivers get if it's not B?

[My belief is that need another test in order to get B+E if you want to tow
combinations which are not covered by B. B+E is equivalent to what those who
passed prior to 1/1/97 already have].

--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old January 5th 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:19:45 -0000, "Hitch Lock" wrote:

| In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
| M.H. Greaves. wrote:
|
| any one who passed after 1/1/1997 will need to sit a further
| category, (B) to be able to tow, any one who passed prior to 1st jan
| 1997 already has this.
|

| This doesn't stack up with my information - or with that provided by other
| posters.
|
| Please quote the DVLA document which says that - plus the bit in your other
| post about having to drive solo for a year.
|
| What category of licence do believe new drivers get if it's not B?
|
| [My belief is that need another test in order to get B+E if you want to tow
| combinations which are not covered by B. B+E is equivalent to what those who
| passed prior to 1/1/97 already have].

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/pdf/INF30_020702.pdf
Contains detailed information.

As for towing caravans, existing general guidance recommends that
the laden weight of the caravan does not exceed 85% of the unladen
weight of the car. In the majority of cases, caravans and small trailers
towed by cars should be within the new category B threshold.

Google Advance Searth is your friend.

Dave F

Old January 5th 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

Right, lets open up another can of worms ;-) My daughter passed her driving
test for a car in November 2002. Is she or is she not allowed to tow a
trailer?

She says not, i say yes, providing it not heavier than car who is right etc.
etc

Dave

The DVLA site says

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to 8 passenger seats

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) OR a trailer over

You can view the whole regulations at

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dl_towing_trailers.htm

(remove the spam to reply)