Towiing with 2002 CRV

Old July 14th 03, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Clinkard

Default Towiing with 2002 CRV

I have a 2002 CRV which I am very pleased with. I am hoping to tow my
1700 lb pop up caravan but wonder what other people's experiences were
towing with the CRV. Do you have electric brakes? Do you have a
transmission cooler? I would appreciate your response. Here in North
America Honda rates all their CRVS with a towing capacity of 1,500
lbs. They do not rate it if the trailer has electric brakes. Rather
odd, so that is why I am writing to you folks in the UK where Honda
rates it with electrics.
Old July 14th 03, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Clinkard

"klyne" wrote in message ...
"Andrew Clinkard" wrote in message
om...
I have a 2002 CRV which I am very pleased with. I am hoping to tow my
1700 lb pop up caravan but wonder what other people's experiences were
towing with the CRV. Do you have electric brakes? Do you have a
transmission cooler? I would appreciate your response. Here in North
America Honda rates all their CRVS with a towing capacity of 1,500
lbs. They do not rate it if the trailer has electric brakes. Rather
odd, so that is why I am writing to you folks in the UK where Honda
rates it with electrics.

Andrew

We would be breaking the law if we towed anything with a higher weight than
the manufacturers maximum towing weight. Interesting that you use lbs as we
tend to use kilos and previously use cwt (hundred weights) So the towing
capacity of a Honda CRVS in the USA is 682kgs which seems very low. By the
way are talking auto or manual? A lot of manufacturers mark down the amount
that can be towed by an auto, often because of the cooling capacity. Not
many trailers with electric brakes here, nearly all are over run. We do have
a distinction here between unbraked and braked trailers. Most unbraked
trailers are limited to 750kgs, not a lot more than your figure. Often
braked trailers (those with over run brakes) are twice that towing capacity.
I can't comment on a Honda except to say they have a good reputation for
build quality. We also use the diesel engines more than you do in the States
and of course far fewer automatic cars. Mind you the one automatic I have
owned was a really lovely car and relaxing to drive, but for towing - been
manual ever since.

David - Milton Keynes

In Canada Honda rates the CRV towing capacity at 680.4 kgs or 1,500
lbs iregardless of whether it is a manual or auto. In the United
States, Honda rates the CRV towing at 1,500 lbs, again no mention of
transmission type. By the way the engine here as in Australia is a
2.4 litre with 160 hp.

I will add after several attempts to get an answer from Honda Canada,
they admitted they did not test the CRV in Canada while towing a
trailer with electric brakes. They did not give an answer as to why.
What led me to ask on this group is that in the UK and Australia,
Honda rates the CRV with auto to have a towing capacity of 600 kgs
without and 1,200 kgs with electric brakes! The Canadian CRV is made
in Japan where the Aussie ones are as well, while the US ones come
from the UK. This has led me to believe the basic SUV in all four
countries is the same. Unlike in the UK, here in North America Honda
manufacturers and sells a minivan and two larger SUVs - one under the
Honda name plate and one under the Acura. Obviously the van and
larger SUVS have higher towing capacities and higher prices.

On this side of the Atlantic, many US states require trailers
(caravans)to have electric or surge brakes if they weigh over 1,500
lbs.

With respect to my use of imperial measure, Canada did adopt the
metric system in I think 1977. The United States however did not. I
did learn the metric system in school (I am 40), but as with I think a
lot of Canadians my age ( or of course older ), we use a combination
of both. I have to buy gas (petrol) in litres, and drive in kms/hr(my
speedometer shows both), but to figure out my gas consumption, I
convert to mpg. For weight and measurement I would never use metric.
When looking at specs on cars in Canada, the manufacturers quote
dimensions in mm! That doesn't mean a thing to me. I think besides
road speed the area where Canadians are most adapted to metric is
temperature, but again I sometimes use both interchangeably. My 12
year old son however would measure in inches and feet, weigh in pounds
but only understands temperature in Celcius. I think you can see it's
going to take a few generations yet, particularly if our only
neighbour does not switch to metric.
Old July 15th 03, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Kay

"Andrew Clinkard" wrote in message
m...

snip
In Canada Honda rates the CRV towing capacity at 680.4 kgs or 1,500
lbs iregardless of whether it is a manual or auto. In the United
States, Honda rates the CRV towing at 1,500 lbs, again no mention of
transmission type

snip
What led me to ask on this group is that in the UK and Australia,
Honda rates the CRV with auto to have a towing capacity of 600 kgs
without and 1,200 kgs with electric brakes!

snip

For vehicles sold in the UK, manufacturers specify the maximum towing weight
as the heaviest trailer that the vehicle can restart from standing on a 12%
incline (1 in 8). Is it specified differently in USA & Canada?

Cheers
Andrew

Old July 15th 03, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

[...]

I did not wish to sound rude about metric/imperial its just interesting the
way the same thing is expressed in different countries. In the UK we are in
the same strange situation where most things are expressed in kilos but
people think in pounds and ounces. or inches and feet. Unfortunately our
governments over recent years have not been brave enough to commit fully to
the metric system.

Back to your point about towing weights I seem to remember a similar problem
when someone in the states wanted to bring his car to Europe to tow a
caravan but the manufacturers quoted a very low towing weight. Unfortunately
you have no choice but to go along with their figures because otherwise they
may not honour the warranty.

David - Milton Keynes

Old July 16th 03, 01:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Clinkard

Default Towing with 2002 CRV

David, I didn't think you rude re metric. I knew at one time the UK
used the imperial system of course, but I didn't know whether it was a
similar situation to Canada's. I think the Canadian government tried
hard to promote the metric system, but we are in a unique situation
having the United States so close by. Another area we see 2 versions
of in Canada is spelling. Canada's spelling is mostly the same as
yours. I try to always use the Canadian spellings, as do the media,
but the most important rule here is is to be consistent throughout a
letter, or essay etc.

I am trying to get a good answer out of Honda Canada. Their response
today on how they rate the towing capacity in Canada met with a
standard response that the information is in the owner's manual and
that the maximum is 1,500 lbs (680 kgs), and that over 1,000 lbs (450
kilos), they recommend trailer brakes. The techie replied he did not
know how they calculated towing capacity in North America. I've
emailed them again saying they did not answer the question of how they
test the capacity. I really think either our standards are more
stringent, or more likely Honda just wants to sell larger vehicles
here. They are rumoured to be producing a pickup truck for 2005 based
on the Pilot/MDX frame. Those mid size SUVS have 3.5 litre engines
and put out 240 and 260 hp, respectively.
Old July 16th 03, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Kay

"Andrew Clinkard" wrote in message
om...

I really think either our standards are more
stringent, or more likely Honda just wants to sell larger vehicles
here.

It isn't just Honda that quote different towing capacities for different
countries.

I have an Isuzu Trooper & live in the UK. According to the owner's handbook
it has a maximum towing capacity of 3500kg. In the USA (and also in
Canada), the Trooper's towing capacity is quoted as 5000lb (2270kg). In
Australia, the Holden Jackaroo (badge engineered Isuzu Trooper) has a towing
capacity of up to 5000kg!!

I suspect that the differences are more likely to be related to national
standards than to marketing strategy.

Cheers
Andrew

Old July 16th 03, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pat Norton

Andrew Kay wrote:
According to the owner's handbook it has a maximum towing
capacity of 3500kg. [...]
I suspect that the differences are more likely to be related
to national standards than to marketing strategy.

It seems that your theory is correct. A search of the web (key: '3500
kg trailer .gov.uk') reveals that 750 kg and 3500 kg are the
thresholds for European trailer laws.

For example, you must have air brakes to tow more than 3500 kg.