Idea ?

Old January 5th 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim Pace

Default Idea ?

Whilst away in the lake district over the holiday we had an insulated 29L
aquarol freeze up !! insulated in a hot water jacket and bin liner and
raised from the floor. Has anyone ever used a fish tank heater dropped in an
aquarol overnight to prevent this ? I thought about strapping one to a rod
to keep it away from the plastic and popping it in, in extreme weather.
Thoughts ....
--
Tim Pace
I'm not saying my wife's a bad cook,

Old January 5th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Tim Pace" wrote in message
Tim Pace
I'm not saying my wife's a bad cook,
but she uses a smoke alarm as a timer

What a splendid idea! Clever woman :-)

Mary

Old January 5th 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Tim Pace" wrote in message

Whilst away in the lake district over the holiday we had an insulated 29L
aquarol freeze up !! insulated in a hot water jacket and bin liner and
raised from the floor. Has anyone ever used a fish tank heater dropped in

an
aquarol overnight to prevent this ?

Sounds reasonable. Checkout those heated pads used in greenhouses and to
keep home brew at fermentation temperature too.
DaveK.

Old January 6th 04, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article ,
wrote

Whilst away in the lake district over the holiday we had an insulated 29L
aquarol freeze up !! insulated in a hot water jacket and bin liner and
raised from the floor. Has anyone ever used a fish tank heater dropped in an
aquarol overnight to prevent this ? I thought about strapping one to a rod
to keep it away from the plastic and popping it in, in extreme weather.
Thoughts ....

Yes I do. Points to note:

Powered from inside the van to mains socket and power cable fed
through floor vent adjacent to Carver water heater/water inlet. fitted
to a standard plug type timer so it can be switched on and off at pre
determined time. There is rarely the need to have it going all the
time so I 'guess' the point at which it should come on/off based on
the days/nights temp. Last time I used it I set it to come on at 3 am
and set to off at 6 am.

I last used it in a 'clear' container so I could see where it was. I
made sure that it was at the bottom of the can [warmed water rising
and coldest part at bottom even though insulated] and also that the
water feed assembly was not in direct contact.

Never thought of attaching it to a 'mounting strip' that could be a
good idea. I'll have to look into that one.

I have only used it once this year and I am not convinced that it was
completely necessary but just did it in case. To be honest I have
never had a frozen water container even before doing this and only do
so on an 'just in case basis' and to see if it works. All I have done
so far is just pop it in and try to be sure it is not in contact with
the inlet assy. I don't think it can cause damage to the Aquaroll but
there again I never leave it in and on anyway. Just enough to stop
freezing.

Also, I attach a A4 size piece of plastic [stiff - was part of a
'juice container'] with masking tape, to the side of the van just
above the Carver external vent to trap warmed air [relative]. On my
van the water inlet housing is adjacent and the warm air helps prevent
frost etc from affecting the inlet.

Old January 6th 04, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:48:57 -0000, "Tim Pace"
wrote:

| Whilst away in the lake district over the holiday we had an insulated 29L
| aquarol freeze up !! insulated in a hot water jacket and bin liner and
| raised from the floor. Has anyone ever used a fish tank heater dropped in an
| aquarol overnight to prevent this ? I thought about strapping one to a rod
| to keep it away from the plastic and popping it in, in extreme weather.
| Thoughts ....

25 watts is a bit much to get from a 110 Amp Hour (1320 Watt Hour) battery.
OK if you are using a Hook Up.

Dave F

Old January 6th 04, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Tim Pace" wrote in message

Whilst away in the lake district over the holiday we had an insulated 29L
aquarol freeze up !! insulated in a hot water jacket and bin liner and
raised from the floor. Has anyone ever used a fish tank heater dropped in

an
aquarol overnight to prevent this ? I thought about strapping one to a rod
to keep it away from the plastic and popping it in, in extreme weather.
Thoughts ....
--
Tim Pace
I'm not saying my wife's a bad cook,
but she uses a smoke alarm as a timer

Out of interest what was the min temp ..... Richard

---

Old January 6th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
john

I have found that a heat pad that you would use for wine making works very
well in the past.

John

Old January 6th 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim Pace

I am not certain what the temp was but it was mighty cold every tap on the
site froze solid

--
Tim Pace
When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.

Old January 7th 04, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Tim Pace
writes

Whilst away in the lake district over the holiday we had an insulated 29L
aquarol freeze up !! insulated in a hot water jacket and bin liner and
raised from the floor. Has anyone ever used a fish tank heater dropped in an
aquarol overnight to prevent this ? I thought about strapping one to a rod
to keep it away from the plastic and popping it in, in extreme weather.
Thoughts ....

Was mentioned in a recent thread.
--
hugh