Elddis Avant'e 475

Old January 6th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kev

Default Elddis Avant'e 475

Hi all, Recently posted a message regarding my anticipated purchase of an
Elddis Avante 475.
My tow car was to be a 96 (N) Mondeo 2.0si.

Because of the towing car/van ratio it has been suggested that i do not tow
because the ratio would not have had an adequate safety margin Van = 995
car = 1280?

So.......my intention is to get a better towcar ( not sure as to what
yet)........but i would still like info on the van (2003 model) regarding
personal opinions etc.

many ta's

kev

PS....further opinions on the ratio regarding the Mondeo towing this van
would be helpful.

I am aware that once the van is laden the ratio would be a tighter margin,
but with car equally or greater laden ( obviously within law and
safety )....is this really as great a problem as suggested it might be?

I am an HGV 1 driver by occupation - and i have gleaned info from various
people that because of this, the possible lesser 85% ratio might not be as
much of a problem for me as it would be for others - having said that i
would be the first to argue that pulling a trailer/caravan with a car HAS TO
BE, by it's very nature completly different to driving an articulated
vehicle ..laden or not because of the centre of gravity on the tow hitch /
trailor king pin.

Old January 7th 04, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Personally I would have thought that the Mondeo could cope quite well with that
ratio of caravan to car. I assume that you quote the Mondeo's kerb weight and
the caravan's max loaded weight?

Cheers, Peter.

: