Campong a la Ferme

Old January 7th 04, 06:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Kaye

Default Campong a la Ferme

Hi,

I'm taking my van to France for the first time this year. We always use CLs
in the UK because of their value for money.

Has anyone out there experience of Camping a la Ferme? Can anyone recommend
any sites which aren't going to break the bank?

Old January 7th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"David Kaye" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm taking my van to France for the first time this year. We always use

CLs
in the UK because of their value for money.

Has anyone out there experience of Camping a la Ferme? Can anyone

recommend
any sites which aren't going to break the bank?

David

David,

Get yourself Volume 1 of the Caravan Club's Caravan Europe and/or the
Michelin guide Camping France. The yellow cover Michelin maps (2km to 1cm)
show their approved sites and are very useful. The whole of France is
covered with one ringbound Michelin book at the same scale which costs about
13 at most bookshops. If you stick to Municipal sites or Camping a la Ferme
and you will not be disappointed. Almost every town or village of any size
in France has one or more sites. France has over 11,000 campsites. There is
no need to book at municipals and most will not accept bookings anyway. The
most popular sites beside the sea in the larger towns may be full between
15th July and 15th August but there will always be room somewhere close by.
I have never stayed at a Camping a la Ferme. We always use the municipals.
They will have electricity, hot showers and toilets, often more. Usually
the same toilet building is used by both sexes but this is what the French
expect. They are very decent. The costs of the municipals can vary between
5 euros and 15 euros depending on location but they are invariably of good
value. Just get your guide books, make some rough plans and go.

Regards.

Dave Dew

Old January 7th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
nospam

Default Camping a la Ferme

"David Kaye" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm taking my van to France for the first time this year. We always use

CLs
in the UK because of their value for money.

Has anyone out there experience of Camping a la Ferme? Can anyone

recommend
any sites which aren't going to break the bank?

David

Hi
I've used a la Ferme sites, they are few and far between and usually down
some awkward lane however you can get details of them and all other sites by
visiting www.campingfrance.com and searching the area you want to be in.
Make sure you select the english version on the left top.
Also there are books on french sites available at www.amazon.fr
The one we used was Le Guide Officiel, Camping Caravanning. It is
published every March by the FFCC. if you order now you will only get 2003
book.
The Camping Club have their own continental sites books the advantage of
these are they contain directions and recommendations. This is extremely
important as you could end up on a site with travellers.

Old January 7th 04, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Digger

I have spent lots of time in France and my advice would be that if its your
first trip you dont need any hassle, not that A la Ferme need be but I would
use comercial sites until you know the ropes, its not worth chasing around
after cheap sites when the ferry costs so much and the sites are generally
cheaper than the uk anyway,
"

Old January 7th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger M

Most Regional Tourist Offices offer Guide Books on farm sites. Like CL's
sites are variable and allow 6 vans in France. Most we have used have been
super with a very warm welcome.

For your first visit I can recommend a super in-expensive site owned and
operated by an English family south of the Loire near Saumur. But it is not
for children or those who need entertainment.

Ask and I will try to help further.

Roger M

Old January 7th 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Alcock

"Roger M" wrote in message

Most Regional Tourist Offices offer Guide Books on farm sites. Like CL's
sites are variable and allow 6 vans in France. Most we have used have been
super with a very warm welcome.

For your first visit I can recommend a super in-expensive site owned and
operated by an English family south of the Loire near Saumur. But it is not
for children or those who need entertainment.

Ask and I will try to help further.

Roger M

i have used camping a la ferme sites for over 15 years there are lots
about usually about six to ten pitches with the basic facilities
but usually clean and adequate, well out of the busy areas most are
sign posted off main roads
john

Old January 8th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phil

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 18:13:32 -0000, "Digger"
wrote:

its not worth chasing around
after cheap sites

But perhaps David, like me, prefers the informal ambience of a farm
site.

Another bonus with farm sites is that many remain open when the
commercial sites are closed during the very long out-of-season period
that the French have.

If you have a smattering of French, farm sites do not present a
problem.

Phil
Old January 8th 04, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 07:37:02 -0000, "David Kaye"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm taking my van to France for the first time this year. We always use CLs
in the UK because of their value for money.

Has anyone out there experience of Camping a la Ferme? Can anyone recommend
any sites which aren't going to break the bank?

As others have said the Municipal's are excellent value mostly 2 star,
I've stayed at some excellent 4 star ones for half the cost of
commercial equivalents.
Get yourself a copy 'Guide Official Camping Caravaning' produced by
the FFCC (Federation Francaise de Camping Caravaning) the equivalent
of CC&C. It lists every campsite in France.
There is a small section at the back listing 'Naturelles de Camping'
these are farm sites there's not many as there is such a good network
of Municipals. The last time we stayed at one of these the farmer had
to get his tractor out to mow an area for us to pitch, it was a few
years ago in June which is out of season in France, until recent years
it was difficult to find sites open outside of July & August.
You can get the guide from most book shops in france or in the UK both
the clubs sell it CC&C & CC.

Lenny