Setthorns, New Forest

Old January 7th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
murray

Default Setthorns, New Forest

Hi

Anyone got any comments on the Forestry site in the New Forest called
Setthorns.Thinking of going there next week .

Thanks in Advance

Old January 7th 04, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

murray wrote:

Hi

Anyone got any comments on the Forestry site in the New Forest called
Setthorns.Thinking of going there next week .

Thanks in Advance

David

It's a nice site - been there many times, but not this time of year.

It's the only Forestry Commission site in the New Forest which is open
throughout the year. Most of the pitches are on hard standing (gravel) and
are surrounded by trees - so it's nice and secluded, and you won't get
bogged down. Many of the pitches have electric hookup. You will neeed your
own facilities since there's no toilet block.

One section of the site has so-called select pitches which are larger, with
picnic tables etc and electric hookups - but no plumbing. I've never felt
the need to pay the extra fee for one of these pitches - the standard ones
are quite ok.

Enjoy!
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old January 7th 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
SeaAce

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message
murray wrote:

Hi

Anyone got any comments on the Forestry site in the New Forest called
Setthorns.Thinking of going there next week .

Thanks in Advance

David

I agree with "Hitch Lock" - we had a good week there in late October, a nice
quiet site but near enough to Brockenhurst for stocking the larder etc.
John

Old January 7th 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Seaace wrote:

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message
murray wrote:

Hi

Anyone got any comments on the Forestry site in the New Forest
called Setthorns.Thinking of going there next week .

Thanks in Advance

David

I agree with "Hitch Lock" - we had a good week there in late October,
a nice quiet site but near enough to Brockenhurst for stocking the
larder etc. John

One extra thing I should have said is that, being out in the sticks so to
speak, there are lots of opportunities for walking from the caravan without
having to drive anywhere first. Likewise cycling, if that is your forte.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old January 7th 04, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--

"murray" wrote in message
Hi

Anyone got any comments on the Forestry site in the New Forest called
Setthorns.Thinking of going there next week .

Thanks in Advance

David

Have a look at this link which might help you
http://www.btinternet.com/~harryroge..._setthorns.htm

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old January 7th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 11:19:38 -0000, "murray"
wrote:

Hi

Anyone got any comments on the Forestry site in the New Forest called
Setthorns.Thinking of going there next week .

Thanks in Advance

Nothing much to add to what everyone else has said except that not all
the pitches have room for a full awning mainly in the 'Pine Tops'
area.

Lenny

Old January 7th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Imagine an area of woodland on the outskirts of a small traditional New
Forest village (Sway), with animals (ponies etc as well as wild ones)
wandering through. Put a few gravel tracks through it and there you have
it!!

Is it an area you know well or do you want some pointers of sights to see?

Frazer

"klyne" wrote in message

"murray" wrote in message
Hi

Anyone got any comments on the Forestry site in the New Forest called
Setthorns.Thinking of going there next week .

Thanks in Advance

David

Have a look at this link which might help you
http://www.btinternet.com/~harryroge..._setthorns.htm

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
Details of our Caravan Travels in the UK and Europe with help and advice

and
site reports

Old January 9th 04, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Rogers

Have a look at this link which might help you
http://www.btinternet.com/~harryroge..._setthorns.htm

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
Details of our Caravan Travels in the UK and Europe with help and advice

and
site reports

Thanks David.

will reciprocate as need be .