Advice for touring from Manchester to SW Ireland

Old January 8th 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ebodski

Default Advice for touring from Manchester to SW Ireland

Hi

This query is on behalf of my parents who are finally plucking up the
courage to get go further than Eng/Scot/Wales. I'm off to the Vendee in
July/August but my old man won't drive on the wrong side of the road (
knowingley anyway )

They are mid 60's and will be taking my mentally handikapped 30 yr old
brother, and an ageing Collie dog ( what a motley crew ! ).
Vectra 2.0 DTI & Trophy 4/5b van ( can't remember precise model )
Time : Approx 3 weeks in June

My mum has done some investigative work and has definately concluded that if
they avoid the school hols periods they will be quids in.

What she is not sure about is which is the best/ most practical way to get
across the pond. They are prepared to cross at unsociable hours, but are
concerned about taking a crossing which is too long for the dog. I suggested
that they go via Mostyn, although I'm not even sure whether its still
available. However she would prefer to travel down to South Wales and get a
shorter crossing from Pembroke.

Can anyone give me any pointers about best way to go, best places to visit
and links to any sites for ferry operators & cheap ticket deals. They're not
fussy about crossings with cabins etc and would even use a HGV/commercial
ferry operator..

Pls advise
Thx

Old January 9th 04, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

that they go via Mostyn, although I'm not even sure whether its still
available.

Friends booked for the Mostyn crossing last spring and when they arrived at
the quay with plenty of time spare, the boat had left. Someone told them the
skipper decided the weather was right, the tide was right and he felt
alright so he went. They then drove to Holyhead.
I've never been and am thinking of sw Ireland for early September. It's more
expensive than channel crossings-maybe because there isn't the volume of
traffic and there's less competition.
DaveK.

Old January 9th 04, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
VivienB

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:17:24 -0000, "Ebodski"
wrote:

which is the best/ most practical way to get
across the pond. They are prepared to cross at unsociable hours, but are
concerned about taking a crossing which is too long for the dog.

The quickest way would be the high-speed P&O ferry (can't remember the
fancy name for it) that goes from Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire, but you
do have to pay extra compared to the ordinary ferry. There is also a
fast ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare, but I don't know if it takes
caravans (I know it doesn't take high vehicles).

NB suggest they get hold of the sites book from Bord Failte, if they
haven't already. It is possible to look up exactly the same sites
info. on www.camping-ireland.ie (I think that's the right one), but it
is useful to have the book with you if you are touring.

If there are more questions about touring in Ireland, do ask. I have
travelled in a motor caravan around southern and western parts of
Ireland with my disabled father twice a year for the last 5 years.

Regards, VivienB
Old January 9th 04, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

If there are more questions about touring in Ireland, do ask. I have
travelled in a motor caravan around southern and western parts of
Ireland with my disabled father twice a year for the last 5 years.

I've heard that the roads will shake a caravan to bits in twenty miles.
I'd like to visit the west coast- sea fishing, views, beaches. Is that
practical with a caravan?
Maybe better going for B&B?
DaveK.

Old January 9th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin

I traveled from Holyhead through Dublin to the village of cong (where the
quiet man was filmed) then down to Killarney. Yes roads a bit dodgy and
didn't see a lay-by at all but what an experience. Only trouble was that I
had only two weeks to do it in. The place needs at least 6 weeks to do it
justice.

Old January 9th 04, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
VivienB

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 17:57:40 -0000, "DaveK"
wrote:

I've heard that the roads will shake a caravan to bits in twenty miles.
I'd like to visit the west coast- sea fishing, views, beaches. Is that
practical with a caravan?
Maybe better going for B&B?
DaveK.

What you have heard is exaggerated - or from people who refuse to
drive at a speed suitable for the conditions. There are some roads
which it is not advisable to tow on, because of narrowness, bends or
steepness, but you can always leave a towed 'van on site and explore
in the car. We have been on some glorious routes in the motor caravan,
locals don't turn a hair when we tell them the roads we used, but some
tourists react with amazement. If you are nervous of rural lanes here
in Britain, stick to the major roads in Ireland, you will see a lot to
enjoy, but you will miss some lovely places. Go for it, you will love
the place and the people!

Regards, VivienB