Gas pressure question,from 2004

« - | - »

Old January 10th 04, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Gas pressure question,from 2004

From this year new caravans have one regulator for propane and butane to
work at 30mbr.
Up to now the two gasses have had 2 different regulator pressures, one just
under this the other just over.
My question are the gas bottlers all going to change to this one pressure?

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 10th 04, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:00:20 -0000, "David"
wrote:

From this year new caravans have one regulator for propane and butane to
work at 30mbr.
Up to now the two gasses have had 2 different regulator pressures, one just
under this the other just over.
My question are the gas bottlers all going to change to this one pressure?

The pressure delivered by your regulator is of no interest to the
people who put the gas in your bottle. The pressure in the bottle is
an intrinsic property of the liquified gas concerned.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old January 10th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

The pressure delivered by your regulator is of no interest to the
people who put the gas in your bottle. The pressure in the bottle is
an intrinsic property of the liquified gas concerned.

So, as I have long suspected- either gas could be supplied via a blue or red
regulator.
As most caravanner's regulators are years old it's unlikely they control the
flow of gas as accurately as when new.
In this modern age, commercial sites advertising serviced pitches should be
providing lpg from supply pipes at each emplacement- bayonet fitting, as on
a gas cooker. Electricity by a cable reel on each site. TV aerial lead
similarly.
My main bleat re commercial sites; at the price they charge- caravan
emplacements should be level.
DaveK.

Old January 10th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:00:20 -0000, "David"
wrote:

From this year new caravans have one regulator for propane and butane to
work at 30mbr.
Up to now the two gasses have had 2 different regulator pressures, one just
under this the other just over.
My question are the gas bottlers all going to change to this one pressure?

The pressure of the gas you get is independant of the pressure in the
bottle so the gas bottlers have no need to change, also the presure in
the bottle is dependant upon the amount of liquid gas in the bottle
and , the temperature it is stored at, this is the reason we require a
regulator to give us a supply of gas at an even pressure.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old January 10th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian D

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:55:55 -0000, "DaveK"
wrote:

The pressure delivered by your regulator is of no interest to the
people who put the gas in your bottle. The pressure in the bottle is
an intrinsic property of the liquified gas concerned.

So, as I have long suspected- either gas could be supplied via a blue or red
regulator.

If you mean that you could use either regulator, and connect to either
gas at will, then the answer's no. Not safely anyway, and if there was
an accident your insurers would have a get-out, as the appliances as
fitted specify their suitability to burn butane at 28mbar and propane
at 37mbar. Swap them round and you could have problems.

The regulator change-over is of academic concern to existing van
owners though. It's been stated that retro-fitting will not be
possible - at least not easily.
It 's not something I'd like to see done anyway, personally.

Existing regulators are fitted to the bottles, so the flexible hose
delivers gas at low pressure.
The new ones are fitted to the van, so the flexibles will deliver gas
to the regulator at bottle pressure, ie high.
I'd say, given the attitude to safety checks and maintenance of many
owners I've seen, that could be a recipe for disaster, particularly as
the new high-pressure hoses will be considerably more expensive than
the old ones.

In this modern age, commercial sites advertising serviced pitches should be
providing lpg from supply pipes at each emplacement- bayonet fitting, as on
a gas cooker.

You wouldn't get me within miles of a site like that.
The potential for an accident is too great.

Electricity by a cable reel on each site. TV aerial lead
similarly.
My main bleat re commercial sites; at the price they charge- caravan
emplacements should be level.
My main bleat re commercial sites; at the price they charge- caravan
emplacements should be level.

Have you thought about buying a bungalow?

Cheers
Ian D
Old January 10th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Have you thought about buying a bungalow?

Do much caravanning?
:-))
DaveK.

Old January 10th 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:58:36 +0000, Ian D
wrote:

| On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:55:55 -0000, "DaveK"
| wrote:
|

| In this modern age, commercial sites advertising serviced pitches should be
| providing lpg from supply pipes at each emplacement- bayonet fitting, as on
| a gas cooker.
| Electricity by a cable reel on each site. TV aerial lead
| similarly.
| My main bleat re commercial sites; at the price they charge- caravan
| emplacements should be level.
| My main bleat re commercial sites; at the price they charge- caravan
| emplacements should be level.
|
| Have you thought about buying a bungalow?

A cruise on the QMII with personal butler would be more appropriate ;-)

Dave F
Old January 10th 04, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart R

"bill lord" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 07:00:20 -0000, "David"
wrote:

From this year new caravans have one regulator for propane and butane

work at 30mbr.
Up to now the two gasses have had 2 different regulator pressures,

one just
under this the other just over.
My question are the gas bottlers all going to change to this one

pressure?

The pressure of the gas you get is independant of the pressure in the
bottle so the gas bottlers have no need to change, also the presure in
the bottle is dependant upon the amount of liquid gas in the bottle
and , the temperature it is stored at, this is the reason we require a
regulator to give us a supply of gas at an even pressure.

(remove the spam to reply)

I'm wondering whether this should affect my choice of fuel. Assuming
I've understood previous postings on propane vs butane correctly, then
simply speaking, butane contains more energy than propane and that's why
you used to have a higher pressure for propane (37mbar vs 28mbar). In my
simple layman's terms, the higher pressure would force more propane
through the (same) burner and hence make up for the fact a given volume
of propane carries less energy than butane. Under the new scheme where
both gases are fed to the same burner at the same pressure, I'm,
guessing that there will be a noticeable difference in performance, with
butane being considerably quicker to boil the water for my tea and warm
my van. That may be wrong, but until others correct me, that will be my
belief.

Stewart R

Old January 10th 04, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

Existing regulators are fitted to the bottles, so the flexible hose
delivers gas at low pressure.
The new ones are fitted to the van, so the flexibles will deliver gas
to the regulator at bottle pressure, ie high.

My new system 30 mb regulator is fitted to the bottle with a low
pressure flexible hose from the regulator to the vans fixed piping. So
there is a choice in how the standard is applied.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old January 10th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 15:10:39 -0000, "Stewart R"
wrote:

Under the new scheme where
both gases are fed to the same burner at the same pressure, I'm,
guessing that there will be a noticeable difference in performance, with
butane being considerably quicker to boil the water for my tea and warm
my van. That may be wrong, but until others correct me, that will be my
belief.

I haven't noticed any difference in the performance of the gas system
using Propane on the 30mb system as opposed to using propane under the
old system In fact I had a slightly faulty regulator last May which
was tesed as giving 35mb and the effect was quite alarming with the
cooker supports on the hob glowing bright red when in use.

(remove the spam to reply)

« - | - »