Bailey poor internal 12v lights.

Old January 11th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Bailey poor internal 12v lights.

Hi,
Got a 2003 Bailey Pagent Majestic, guess the whole range will be similar in
the 12 volt lighting arrangement.
It is a great caravan completly let down by the lighting.

Anyone with one done any improvements?

Could add 2 or 3 fluorescent strip lights, but anything I can do with what
is there allready?

It as the large opening roof window which has 2 lights built in, each uses 2
ordinary 12v 10 watt festoon bulbs, the sort you find in the outside fitting
over your caravan door.

There are 4 eyeball socket lights each with 12v 10watt, (15w?) car bulbs.
At a caravan dealers noticed a halogen replacement version of this bulb, but
they were 4-99 each! Will any other sort of shop sells these at a lot
cheaper price?

All the above are at the seating/bed end of the caravan, at the end kitchen
is one fluorescent 8w strip. Think this will be changed to a longer 13W by
me, or add a second.

In the center on the roof is a round fitting which I have not looked into
but I suspect it might have 2 halagen bulbs in. With this on it makes the
settee/bed end look dimmer still.

Maybe when we caravaneers look at caravans we should do a night visit as
well as daylight.

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 11th 04, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:25:50 -0000, "David"
wrote:

| Hi,
| Got a 2003 Bailey Pagent Majestic, guess the whole range will be similar in
| the 12 volt lighting arrangement.
| It is a great caravan completly let down by the lighting.
|
| Anyone with one done any improvements?

Our 1998 Bailey Hunter lite, smaller than yours, has good lighting. Two
twin 8w Flourscents on the body 8 watt flourescent at kitchen end 8 watt
flourescent in the toilet/shower/basin. Job's a good un.

Recomendations depend on if you use a hook up, in which case a few more
lamps will make very little difference, or if you rely on your battery, in
which case take care about amps/watts.

| Could add 2 or 3 fluorescent strip lights, but anything I can do with what
| is there allready?
|
| It as the large opening roof window which has 2 lights built in, each uses 2
| ordinary 12v 10 watt festoon bulbs, the sort you find in the outside fitting
| over your caravan door.

Festoon bulbs are weak, hot and inefficient avoid adding them, replace with
flourescents.

| There are 4 eyeball socket lights each with 12v 10watt, (15w?) car bulbs.
| At a caravan dealers noticed a halogen replacement version of this bulb, but
| they were 4-99 each! Will any other sort of shop sells these at a lot
| cheaper price?

Car bulbs are weak, hot and inefficient Halogens are better for spots even
though they are very hot and cost more. We have two and they work well.

| All the above are at the seating/bed end of the caravan, at the end kitchen
| is one fluorescent 8w strip. Think this will be changed to a longer 13W by
| me, or add a second.

Good idea

| In the center on the roof is a round fitting which I have not looked into
| but I suspect it might have 2 halagen bulbs in. With this on it makes the
| settee/bed end look dimmer still.

Replace with flourescents.

Unfortunately I am among the mass of people on Davids Kill file, so he will
not see this :-(

Dave F

Old January 11th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:48:51 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Unfortunately I am among the mass of people on Davids Kill file, so he will
not see this :-(

Dave F

Seems as if he is not seeing much at all ! ! ! ! ! !

Back to topic - is it me or is the design of caravan lighting intended
not to illuminate the interior of cupboards or wardrobes. In all the
caravans I have owned, the lights are set to oneside of the wardrobe
door so when it is opened the door is between the light and the
wardrobe casting a shodow?

Roy
Old January 11th 04, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Roy" wrote in message
news
Seems as if he is not seeing much at all ! ! ! ! ! !

Back to topic - is it me or is the design of caravan lighting intended
not to illuminate the interior of cupboards or wardrobes. In all the
caravans I have owned, the lights are set to oneside of the wardrobe
door so when it is opened the door is between the light and the
wardrobe casting a shodow?

Did not see David F. post, so if it was helpfull it is my loss.

Actually the center roof light in my caravan will do a good job of lighting
the wardrobes, so not all doom and gloom.
Incidently the 2004 model is 99.9% the same as the 2003. This year the big
roof window is moved back, so probably means the wardrobe is dark inside
again as you say do they do it on purpose.

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 11th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:20:16 -0000, "David"
wrote:

| "Roy" wrote in message
| news |
| Seems as if he is not seeing much at all ! ! ! ! ! !
|
| Back to topic - is it me or is the design of caravan lighting intended
| not to illuminate the interior of cupboards or wardrobes. In all the
| caravans I have owned, the lights are set to oneside of the wardrobe
| door so when it is opened the door is between the light and the
| wardrobe casting a shodow?
|

| Did not see David F. post, so if it was helpfull it is my loss.
|
| Actually the center roof light in my caravan will do a good job of lighting
| the wardrobes, so not all doom and gloom.
| Incidently the 2004 model is 99.9% the same as the 2003. This year the big
| roof window is moved back, so probably means the wardrobe is dark inside
| again as you say do they do it on purpose.

Groups.google is your friend.
But you will not see this either LOL

Dave F

Old January 12th 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

David wrote:

Hi,
Got a 2003 Bailey Pagent Majestic, guess the whole range will be similar in
the 12 volt lighting arrangement.

snip
There are 4 eyeball socket lights each with 12v 10watt, (15w?) car bulbs.
At a caravan dealers noticed a halogen replacement version of this bulb, but
they were 4-99 each! Will any other sort of shop sells these at a lot
cheaper price?

Paid X,000 (or 1X,000?) for a 2003 van and baulking at 4.99 for some
bulbs????

Stuart
--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain

Old January 12th 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:18:52 -0000, "David"
wrote:

| Thanks for the helpfull reply Stuart.

| "Stuart Bell" wrote in message
| ipex.com...
| David wrote:
|
| Hi,
| Got a 2003 Bailey Pagent Majestic, guess the whole range will be similar
| in
| the 12 volt lighting arrangement.
| snip
| There are 4 eyeball socket lights each with 12v 10watt, (15w?) car
| bulbs.
| At a caravan dealers noticed a halogen replacement version of this bulb,
| but
| they were 4-99 each! Will any other sort of shop sells these at a lot
| cheaper price?
|
| Paid X,000 (or 1X,000?) for a 2003 van and baulking at 4.99 for some
| bulbs????

sobs bg
Old January 12th 04, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken

I have just bought some LED 12 volt lights, same fitting as the auto bulbs.
I got them from superbrightled.com an american site by mail order. They are
about 6 dollars each depending on number of LED in the cluster. They use
very little power and are great running from the battery. They are however
a bit on the blue side.

Ken

Old January 17th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
CampinGazz

"Ken" wrote in message
I have just bought some LED 12 volt lights, same fitting as the auto

bulbs.
I got them from superbrightled.com an american site by mail order. They

are
about 6 dollars each depending on number of LED in the cluster. They use
very little power and are great running from the battery. They are

however
a bit on the blue side.

Can you give us some more details on which clusters you bought??

looked on that website, but i can't seem to find the led clusters with the
bayonet type fittings to replace bulbs,

i was going to build my own bulb replacement led clusters to replace all the
bulbs in my van, but if they can be had for about 6 dollars each, i can't
build them for that, (50p per 1200mcd white led, about 5 quid for the
equipment to etch the pcb's, 30p for the bulb to butcher for the base, xxxp
for the potting compound to protect the circuit board and bond the pcb to
the bulb base and so on.