When is best to bag a bargin?

Old January 11th 04, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
marsupilami

Default When is best to bag a bargin?

Hello everyone,

Can anyone offer advice on when is the best time to buy a caravan from a
dealers, such as when they are at their slowest time for sales and when they
are likely to be persuaded to offer us a good deal etc?? And while I am on,
anyone got any negatives on a fixed end bedroom??

Many thanks in advance,

Luckie

Old January 11th 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"marsupilami" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

Can anyone offer advice on when is the best time to buy a caravan from a
dealers, such as when they are at their slowest time for sales and when

they
are likely to be persuaded to offer us a good deal etc??

New?
Might be too late, many dealers sold all thier 2004 orders before Christmas.
New Baileys were hard to find. Swift group for one I was quoted June
delivery, one dealer said could be October!

Second Hand, would think to buy now as people bring thier p/x in and take
thier new caravan away. Local dealer today was doing 'make me an offer' on
s/h.

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 11th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James W. West

"marsupilami" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

Can anyone offer advice on when is the best time to buy a caravan from a
dealers, such as when they are at their slowest time for sales and when

they
are likely to be persuaded to offer us a good deal etc?? And while I am

on,
anyone got any negatives on a fixed end bedroom??

Many thanks in advance,

Luckie

It depends on what you want. If its new then I dont think there is a good
time to buy, because caravans are selling so well at the moment. We were
offered a modest discount on a Bailey in September, with a voucher for 150
to be used in the shop to buy gas etc because we were first time buyers.
Delivery wouldn't have been until April however. I believe many dealers have
sold all their allocation for next year.

If its second hand then autumn is probably the best time. A lot of people
trade in caravans in the autumn, but dont take delivery of the new one until
spring. So dealers like to turn those trade-ins into cash as soon as
possible. You then have the problem of what to do with it over the winter
though.

We regard a fixed bedroom as being totally unsuitable for us with a family,
as we need flexible space. For a couple, especially where putting up and
down beds had become a bit of a chore I think it would be great.

James

Old January 11th 04, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:40:27 GMT, "marsupilami"
wrote:

| Hello everyone,
|
| Can anyone offer advice on when is the best time to buy a caravan from a
| dealers, such as when they are at their slowest time for sales and when they
| are likely to be persuaded to offer us a good deal etc??

September, October, November, December. Sales are picking up in January
:-(

| And while I am on,
| anyone got any negatives on a fixed end bedroom??

They are big and heavy.
Would you rather spend 10 mins reorganising the van every night, or tow an
extra 6 ft of van.
I do not have one.

Dave F

Old January 11th 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

Hello everyone,

Can anyone offer advice on when is the best time to buy a caravan from a
dealers, such as when they are at their slowest time for sales and when they
are likely to be persuaded to offer us a good deal etc?? And while I am on,
anyone got any negatives on a fixed end bedroom??

Many dealers try to clear out their current years stock in the late
summer to accomodate the next years models thatare due in. So August
can be a good time providing they have what you want. Alternatively
many large dealers do their own versions of popular models that are
based around what was last years models with various bits added to
them. They are usually very well priced. Michael Jordans models and
Lowdhams models spring to mind as being very keenly priced and there
were one or two places in Scotland that I found very well priced when
I was looking.
Many people like them and others would not give them house room, it
depends on what you want, the fixed bed rather takes over the caravan
and reduces the living space inside the van.
Several of us on here have bought continental vans and found them good
value, I bought a Hymer Nova from Lowdhams last year and cannot praise
it enough but it wasn't cheap, there are frequently good deals at the
end of summer on others. I saw particularly good deals on Burstner
caravans at MG caravans in todmorden when I was looking but found the
vans just too big to fit in the space I have available. Doc will no
doubt appear before long extolling the virtues of buying Hobby
caravans abroad, at what is a very good price.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old January 11th 04, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

wrote:

And while I am on,
anyone got any negatives on a fixed end bedroom??

Hi Luckie
We have a fixed end bedroom - and it is brilliant. There are only two
of us so we use the lounge diner during the day (coats go on the fixed
bed) and then in the evening, a short crawl to bed... Loads of
storage space underneath and the same weight as a friends traditional
4 berth.
Ours is an Abbey Aventura 318.... Only drawback is a combined
toilet/shower - next van, if the towcar is big enough will be a fixed
bed WITH end bathroom!
Regards
Simon

Old January 11th 04, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

wrote:
| And while I am on,
| anyone got any negatives on a fixed end bedroom??

They are big and heavy.
Would you rather spend 10 mins reorganising the van every night, or tow an
extra 6 ft of van.
I do not have one.

Well, we 'do' have one. Big? Yes, it's a fixed double bed so it's double
bed sized. Heavy? Dunno, but probably no heavier than the fittings that
would be there if we didn't have a fixed bed. The only negative is that it
takes up space that can't be utilised for anything other than a bed - lots
of stuff can be stored under it though. But that's fine for us since there
are usually only the two of us using the 'van. We got the fixed bed 'van
because it was precisely the "10 minutes" rebuilding that was the one thing
we hated about caravanning. There's nothing worse after a pleasant evening
eating and drinking, than having to do the squashy cushion jigsaw before you
can go to bed. We think our fixed bed 'van is great and I doubt we'll
consider any other type when the time comes to change 'vans again. Caravans
used by family groups would probably not benefit from a fixed bed though,
the extra daytime space from a conventional 'van would be more use to them I
think. Oh, by the way, our 'van is the same length as our previous one, I
don't know where you get the idea that they are an "extra 6' long".

Old January 11th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill Oakes

We have a compass 534, 1135kg I think.

There are two of us, and we cant ever imagine wanting a non-fixed bed van
ever again! (we have had 3 non-fixed bed vans before)
Got nowt to do with re-arranging the seats, it means one of us can lie-in if
the other wants to get up sit up or whatever.

Bill

Old January 11th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Hawthorne

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:26:49 +0000 (UTC), "Sigmund"
wrote:

Oh, by the way, our 'van is the same length as our previous one, I
don't know where you get the idea that they are an "extra 6' long".

Yes - same here - ours is the same length as our friends 4 berth
(non-fixed bed)

S.

Regards, Simon
http://www.thehawthornes.org