Which Tyres ??

Old January 12th 04, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
G3ROL

Default Which Tyres ??

I thought I would fit some car tyres to my caravan as I had some 173/13's.
However these car tyres are smaller than the 175/13 that are on the
caravan(Avon Supervan).
Question, should I fit another set of Avon Supervan or could I fit the
radial car tyre's that I already have???

Paul

Old January 12th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MrCheerful

"G3ROL" wrote in message
I thought I would fit some car tyres to my caravan as I had some 173/13's.
However these car tyres are smaller than the 175/13 that are on the
caravan(Avon Supervan).
Question, should I fit another set of Avon Supervan or could I fit the
radial car tyre's that I already have???

Paul

The originals are probably 8 ply tyres which are bigger than standard, they
are a commercial type tyre. If the van is light then you could probably use
ordinary tyres, but the supervan tyres will take much more load. Check the
load ability for each type and make your own mind up. Van tyres will only
be about thirty quid each, not much for peace of mind.

MrCheerful

Old January 12th 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"G3ROL" wrote in message
I thought I would fit some car tyres to my caravan

Check the caravan handbook.
Mine require commercial type heavy duty at 54psi.
That's ten pounds per square inch more than a light car tyre is rated.
DaveK.

Old January 12th 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:04:39 +0000 (UTC), "G3ROL"
wrote:

I thought I would fit some car tyres to my caravan as I had some 173/13's.
However these car tyres are smaller than the 175/13 that are on the
caravan(Avon Supervan).
Question, should I fit another set of Avon Supervan or could I fit the
radial car tyre's that I already have???

Check the load rating for the tyres, if the manufacturers fitted Avon
Supervans then it is unlikely that a car tyre would be suitable for
the weight it has to carry. Personally I would not replace with Avon
Supervans, there have been a number of occurrences of these tyres
parting company from their treads at an unusually early stage in their
lives. When I replaced the Avons on my old Award I rang up the local
national tyres depot and they found me some van tyres that did the job
perfectly adequately that were about half the price of the Avon tyres.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old January 12th 04, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane

In article ,
says...
I thought I would fit some car tyres to my caravan as I had some 173/13's.
However these car tyres are smaller than the 175/13 that are on the
caravan(Avon Supervan).
Question, should I fit another set of Avon Supervan or could I fit the
radial car tyre's that I already have???

Paul

The car radials are unlikely to be rated to take the load of the 'van.
They will probably have a rating of around 450 Kg so a pair will take
around 900 Kg. Supervans have a rating of over 600 Kgg so a pair will
support over 1200 Kg. The fact you have Supervans already suggests your
'van will be more than 1200 Kg laden.

Having said that the car tyres are not likely to be suitable, Supervans
had a history a while back of disintegrating (don't know whether they
have improved since then). I had one blow out a few years back and it
caused quite a bit of damage as it flapped and took out part of the
floor. The dealer who did the repairs would not fit Supervans. I think
what I got was called Milemaster, they were about 50 each instead of
80+ for the Supervans and had a higher speed rating.

So you should not fit the car tyres and you might prefer not to fit a
new set of Supervans either.

Your local tyre depot should be able to advise.

Ian