Renault Scenic

Old January 12th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Watkins

Default Renault Scenic

Hi Guys and Gals
Can anyone here with experience of ownership of a Scenic give me the benefit
of their knowledge. I am considering the 1.9 diesel model.
I appreciate that this is slightly OT as I dont intend to tow the van with
it as, although the kerbweight is ok, the stated maximum braked towing limit
is too low for my van. I will be replacing our second car with something
cheap but capable for towing the van.
I would be very interested to see what owners have to say about economy,
build quality, servicing costs and general opinions on practicality and
handling. The economy figures are quite impressive for me as I currently run
a Terrano 2.7tdi which does most of it's miles around town so I get no more
than 24mpg. Costing me a bleedin fortune!
Many thanks for all advice given.
Gareth

Old January 12th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:14:15 -0000, "Gareth Watkins"
wrote:

Hi Guys and Gals
Can anyone here with experience of ownership of a Scenic give me the benefit
of their knowledge. I am considering the 1.9 diesel model.
I appreciate that this is slightly OT as I dont intend to tow the van with
it as, although the kerbweight is ok, the stated maximum braked towing limit
is too low for my van. I will be replacing our second car with something
cheap but capable for towing the van.
I would be very interested to see what owners have to say about economy,
build quality, servicing costs and general opinions on practicality and
handling. The economy figures are quite impressive for me as I currently run
a Terrano 2.7tdi which does most of it's miles around town so I get no more
than 24mpg. Costing me a bleedin fortune!
Many thanks for all advice given.
Gareth

Hi Gareth
I don't own one my self but as I work for a hire company I have driven
them on many occasions both diesel and petrol including the revised
model - they seem well built ,reliable and have given few problems in
service , customers also like them. I myself have bought a new Piccaso
the choice between the two was on price.

Roy

Old January 12th 04, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Gareth Watkins" wrote in message
[...]

The problem with Renaults is their max towing weight seems to reduce
dramatically as soon as you put a passenger in the car. Why they should have
two weights I have no idea. From memory I think the Scenic has a towing
weight of 1300 kgs with just the driver but reduces to 1000kgs with one
passenger, I am sure you don't want to go on holiday on your own!!! Please
check what I have said but this seemed to be the gist of what was said on
another forum.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old January 12th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"klyne" wrote in message

[...]

Details of our Caravan Travels in the UK and Europe with help and advice

and
site reports

Two years ago when I was looking to replace my Peugeot TD (90bhp) I test
drove a Scenic TD (110bhp) and was very diappointed. I then drove a Passat
TD (115bhp) and the difference between that and the Peugeot was noticeable.
Evenutally I settled for a 130bhp version of the VW which is very responsive
and had a good towing capability; you should be able to used version at a
reasonable price.

Old January 13th 04, 04:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lex M

"klyne" wrote in
:

The problem with Renaults is their max towing weight seems to reduce
dramatically as soon as you put a passenger in the car. Why they should
have two weights I have no idea.

The constraint is the maximum mass of the (loaden) "train".

--
Regards, Lex
http://biod.net
Old January 13th 04, 07:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Jim" wrote in message

"klyne" wrote in message

[...]

My wife has a scenic, her second both from new. The diesel engine is not

very refined and is noisy above 50 mph, we can't hear the radio at 70 mph
The engine of the second car has less poke than the first scenic we owned.
We drove the Citroen equivalent of the Scenic in Scotland over the new year.
Nice car, more refined diesel engine far less road noise from the tyres
than the Scenic. to sum up the Scenic had potential which other have used in
their versions. For us the next car will probable be a Citroen if we can
find a dealer near enough for servicing during the warranty period. You
would be better of with A Peugeot 406 with 110 bhp Hdi diesel engine. we tow
with one, it has poke and economy . Or as David suggests a VW with 130 bhp
diesel engine.
MikeS

Old January 13th 04, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

Gareth Watkins wrote:

Hi Guys and Gals
Can anyone here with experience of ownership of a Scenic give me the benefit
of their knowledge. I am considering the 1.9 diesel model.

Have you thought of a Fiat Multipla. I know they look interesting /
weird / ugly, but, as many reviews have said, if you can see past the
aforesaid exterior, they are excellent vehicles. 6 full size seats, not
four and a half. Vey spacious, though only 4m long, good driving
position, handling and ride.

I've towed with one (turbo diesel) for a couple of years, and it's
super. Loads of torque, and very stable partly because of the very short
rear overhang.

Stuart

--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old January 13th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Watkins

"Mike" wrote in message
news

"Jim" wrote in message

"klyne" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks guys.
As I said in the original posting, I don't intend to tow with it as I NEED
an MPV as I have a disabled child and need the height that they sit at for
getting him in and out. What I don't want is a huge great big MPV as the
majority of the mileage the car does is around town, doing the school run.
So, the second car will be the towcar as it doesn't need to be ultra
economical as it only occasionally gets used as I ride a motorbike during
the week normally.
Hence we have started to look at the mid size MPV's such as the Scenic,
Picasso (trouble is we still have a degree of style and taste left in us and
we both HATE the shape of the Picasso!), Mazda Premacy and Nissan Tino. I
know the Zafira is another one to look at but I just can't get past the
dreadful reliablity that Vauxhall have. I have never owned a Vauxhall but I
know many people who have and still do and they ALL have had major faults
which the dealers have been reluctant to sort. I have got used to Jap
reliability now as I have owned them for nearly ten years, but the Japs
don't seem to make good diesels the way the French do.
Anyhow, any more advice or suggestions are welcome.
Also, if anyone has any ideas on good towcars with a minimum kerbweight of
1400kg for under a grand then I would be interested to hear those too!
Again, Jap springs to mind for me, such as a high mileage Primera Estate or
Accord Aerodeck.
Cheers all.
Gareth

Old January 13th 04, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Watkins

"Stuart Bell" wrote in message
pex.com...
Gareth Watkins wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that. I had not considerd the Multipla as I thought it was in the
same bracket as the other large MPV's, but I shall go out this weekend and
have a look at one. I actually quite like the look of them! I think they are
very radical and off the wall.
Of the top of your head, do you know what the kerbweight and towing limit
was on them?
Many thanks
Gareth