Stopping overnight

Old January 14th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
PacC

Default Stopping overnight

Has anyone got experience of "just parking up" for the night in France. We
did this many years ago when we had the kids with us. We had travelled all
day and evening and just stopped on a side street and had a few hours kip,
then carried on early the next morning. I realise this can be dangerous in
this day and age but does anyone still do this?
Also, we've just joined CCC & wondered if they list the overnight stops on
main routes through France.

Thanks

Old January 14th 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

PacC wrote:

Has anyone got experience of "just parking up" for the night in France. We
did this many years ago when we had the kids with us. We had travelled all
day and evening and just stopped on a side street and had a few hours kip,
then carried on early the next morning. I realise this can be dangerous in
this day and age but does anyone still do this?

We have on autoroute 'aires' - but can be noisy with trucks arriving and
departing.

Stuart
--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old January 14th 04, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"PacC" wrote in message

Also, we've just joined CCC & wondered if they list the overnight stops

on
main routes through France.

I suggest that you ring them to ask. They really are very friendly and
helpful.

Mary

Thanks

Old January 14th 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Alcock

"PacC" wrote in message

Has anyone got experience of "just parking up" for the night in France. We
did this many years ago when we had the kids with us. We had travelled all
day and evening and just stopped on a side street and had a few hours kip,
then carried on early the next morning. I realise this can be dangerous in
this day and age but does anyone still do this?
Also, we've just joined CCC & wondered if they list the overnight stops on
main routes through France.

Thanks

stopping at major service areas is quite safe though not 100% but is
anywhere even on a british campsite
at major services you will have a cafe , shop , restaurant a good one ,
showers and toilets ,
facilities are far superior to British motorway ripoff areas, plus in
high season they have activity areas with trained people doing sports
for children
all this for free though a small charge for the activities , stopping
overnight is done all nationalities not just the brits a couple of
areas on the A75 has electric and drain points for caravans never
bothered to use them but had some very pleasant evenings with French
and Dutch families
John

Old January 14th 04, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"PacC" wrote in message
Has anyone got experience of "just parking up" for the night in France. We
did this many years ago when we had the kids with us. We had travelled all
day and evening and just stopped on a side street and had a few hours kip,
then carried on early the next morning. I realise this can be dangerous in
this day and age but does anyone still do this?
Also, we've just joined CCC & wondered if they list the overnight stops

on
main routes through France.

Thanks

We are not ones to use campsites for one night and each year for about
twenty years we have been stopping overnight on the quay at Cherbourg
and/or on the service areas on the Autoroutes. It has been completely
without incident other than making new friends. At Cherbourg there are
always a number of other happy campers doing the same thing and on the
motorways we park up with the lorry drivers. They can be of all
nationalities, but some, who have our greatest admiration have come on their
own from as far as North Africa and are on their way back to Scotland. From
my chats with some of them I can say that they are aware of the dangers in
this world but feel perfectly safe in France. Although of course they 'use
their loaves' and always park up with other trucks. I do not think that
this 'day and age' is any more dangerous than any other 'day and age'. It
is just that we get older and more careful. I have never stopped overnight
in side streets but regularly see British motor caravans overnighting in car
parks, on beaches, on quaysides and waterfronts all over France. Early one
morning, at Blaye on the Gironde last year, as I went out to get the bread,
I counted 21 campervans of various nationalities which had spent the night
parked on the quayside. There are several big signs up stating, 'Camping
Interdit' (in English - No Camping). It's France, and most of the vans
were French. If you are not upsetting anybody you can do it. I might add
that the municipal campsite that I was using, and charging the equivalent of
6 GBP a night, is only about 500 metres away.
Another story I can tell you is that all along the top of the dam across the
river Rance in Brittany are signs saying 'Peche Interdit' (No Fishing).
Propped against each sign will be a fishing rod with its line in the waters
below being watched by a Gallic looking gent with a fag in his mouth. They
do things differently.
To get back to caravanning. All along the Autoroutes there are 24 hour
service areas and there is always plenty of room to stop the night. I do
not know if there are lists but we just stop when we are ready, and you can
invariably get a decent meal at the restaurant that is at all the 24 hour
'Aires de Service', although most do close about 2130. Just go for it.

Regards.

Dave Dew.

Old January 14th 04, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"PacC" wrote in message
Has anyone got experience of "just parking up" for the night in France. We
did this many years ago when we had the kids with us. We had travelled all
day and evening and just stopped on a side street and had a few hours kip,
then carried on early the next morning. I realise this can be dangerous in
this day and age but does anyone still do this?
Also, we've just joined CCC & wondered if they list the overnight stops

on
main routes through France.

But why would you want to when there are so many lovely municipal sites at
very reasonable costs? Make the journey part of the holiday.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old January 14th 04, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HarryBurr1

In article , "klyne"
writes:

Has anyone got experience of "just parking up" for the night in France. We
did this many years ago when we had the kids with us. We had travelled all
day and evening and just stopped on a side street and had a few hours kip,
then carried on early the next morning. I realise this can be dangerous in
this day and age but does anyone still do this?
Also, we've just joined CCC & wondered if they list the overnight stops

on
main routes through France.

But why would you want to when there are so many lovely municipal sites at
very reasonable costs? Make the journey part of the holiday.

David - Milton Keynes

David,
Couldn't agree more.
A great number of municipals are just off the autoroute and are very
reasonable. Elecrtric and showers are provided and some are so good that some
people spend their entire holiday on them. Most villages have a restaurant so
if it is just for an overnight then food is available. Much more quiet than a
service area. Get CC foreign touring book for France or The Michelin Guide.

harryB

Old January 14th 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tim Pace

Have done so many times never had any bother,

--
Tim Pace
When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.

Old January 14th 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"HarryBurr1" wrote in message
In article , "klyne"

writes:
But why would you want to when there are so many lovely municipal sites

at
very reasonable costs? Make the journey part of the holiday.

David - Milton Keynes

David,
Couldn't agree more.
A great number of municipals are just off the autoroute and are very
reasonable. Elecrtric and showers are provided and some are so good that

some
people spend their entire holiday on them. Most villages have a restaurant

so
if it is just for an overnight then food is available. Much more quiet

than a
service area. Get CC foreign touring book for France or The Michelin

Guide.

harryB

David and Harry,

I could not agree more with your comments about municipal sites and we use
them consistently if stopping more than one night, but there are times when
we want to get down south a bit quick or back up to catch a ferry. That is
when we find the Aires de Service so convenient. We pull in about 2030, do
not even unhitch, legs down, have a meal, heads down and then on our way
about 0600 the next morning. We all like to do things differently, for
instance, we do not mind roughing it for one night on a service area but
would never consider a CL or simple site without toilets, showers and
electricity; but I know there are many of you that like nothing else. Vive
la difference. Before we started caravanning in France we spent many
holidays on our bikes with tents in Normandy and Brittany so we know the
north quite well and love it all. France is very close as far as we are
concerned and in 2003 we got over on five occasions. Out of season there
are some really silly deals going on the ferries for short trips to those of
us who live near the port. Whatever you do enjoy it and especially France.

Regards.

Dave Dew.