Headamp Convertors for Rover 600

Old January 14th 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Johnston

Default Headamp Convertors for Rover 600

Hi there,

I'm taking my 1999 Rover 600 over to the continent tomorrow and have found
it almost impossible to get suitable headlamp convertors for driving on the
other side of the road!

I was wondering if anybody on here knows the approximate size and place to
put blanking stickers on the headlights of this particular car? If I knew
this then I could hopefully make a set of convertors myself.

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,
Michael

Old January 14th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Mike Johnston" wrote in message
Hi there,

I'm taking my 1999 Rover 600 over to the continent tomorrow and have found
it almost impossible to get suitable headlamp convertors for driving on

the
other side of the road!

Don't worry about it. We go regularly and not altered the headlamps for
years.Mind you, don't do much night driving.
Modern dipped headlamps don't dazzle whichever side of the road you're on.
If you are worried about it, switch off the headlamps and run on foglamps
like all the others.
DaveK.

Old January 14th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Mike Johnston" wrote in message
Hi there,

I'm taking my 1999 Rover 600 over to the continent tomorrow and have found
it almost impossible to get suitable headlamp convertors for driving on

the
other side of the road!

I was wondering if anybody on here knows the approximate size and place to
put blanking stickers on the headlights of this particular car? If I knew
this then I could hopefully make a set of convertors myself.

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

Michael

I have used Beam Benders before and they give a long list of cars and where
to place the convertor. You can buy them on the ferry and I expect at the
Channel Tunnel. I have noticed with different cars that the deflector sits
over the part of the lens that has a different marking to the rest of the
lens but this is only an observation not fact.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old January 14th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

Mike Johnston wrote:

I was wondering if anybody on here knows the approximate size and place to
put blanking stickers on the headlights of this particular car? If I knew
this then I could hopefully make a set of convertors myself.

Look for a smooth area just below the horizontal middle line of the
glass, towards the off-side of the car. Trapezoidal in shape. Blank that
bit off with thick tape - but be warned that the heat of the light
'cooks' the tape onto the glass, making it a b****r to get off.

Stuart

--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old January 15th 04, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article ,
wrote

Hi there,
I'm taking my 1999 Rover 600 over to the continent tomorrow and have found
it almost impossible to get suitable headlamp convertors for driving on the
other side of the road!

I was wondering if anybody on here knows the approximate size and place to
put blanking stickers on the headlights of this particular car? If I knew
this then I could hopefully make a set of convertors myself.
Thanks very much in advance.
Regards,
Michael

I used to have a car with a set of continental headlights fitted and
when I discovered the fact that I did not have to have UK lights I
kept on using them and blanking them off. Did it for 5 years.

I used to park the car facing the garage door and examine the lens. It
should be easy enough for you to determine the segments that need to
be blanked. Mark a horizontal line on the garage door [best to do this
at night] and shine the lights on main beam at it from about 5 feet
away. 5 feet because you need a tight line to refer to and further
away it becomes more difficult to determine. Get some strips of black
tape and start blanking until the nearside [passenger] lamp does not
emit light above the horizontal. So long as you do not dazzle oncoming
traffic you should be ok.

Caution: keep some tape with you for repair, the heat from the lamp
will loosen the adhesive after baking it so it will weather away.
Unless you use something realy nasty.

Old January 15th 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

DaveK wrote:

Modern dipped headlamps don't dazzle whichever side of the road you're on.

Cobblers. Because manufacturers can produce more tightly cropped beams,
many are quite high on the UK near side - with obvious consequences on
the continent.

Stuart
Old January 15th 04, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Stuart Bell" wrote in message
pex.com...
DaveK wrote:

Modern dipped headlamps don't dazzle whichever side of the road you're

on.

Cobblers. Because manufacturers can produce more tightly cropped beams,
many are quite high on the UK near side - with obvious consequences on
the continent.

Been lately? Check the number of UK cars with beam deflectors.
DaveK.

Old January 15th 04, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart R

Been lately? Check the number of UK cars with beam deflectors.
DaveK.

An increasing number of modern cars have a lever on the inside of the
headlamp (usually just under the bulb) that allows you to crop the beam
for Continental driving without any external sign that you have done so.
Stewart R

Old January 16th 04, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

DaveK wrote:

Been lately? Check the number of UK cars with beam deflectors.
DaveK.

Every year since don't know when. Lack of deflectors doesn't mean it's
not a problem! ;-)

Stuart