Drive in third in towns?

Old January 15th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Drive in third in towns?

Just before Christmas there was a publicity drive encouraging people to
drive in third gear in towns, because modern cars tend to drift above 30 in
30 limit areas.

An effect of getting cars within a lower taxation band is that they are
made aerodynamically cleaner, less engine friction, and lower rolling
friction. Compared with cars I drove ???? years ago the new ones are
very "slippery".

My car is a 1 year old 1.9 litre TDI supermini estate, bought specifically
for towing and carrying lots of junk in the back. It does both jobs very
well, but holding only myself, driving round town, it is noticably
overpowered, and does drift over 30 in fourth or fifth down even slight
hills, when there are always those speed cameras waiting to catch you.

I have recently tried driving in third gear round town, in 30mph and 40mph
and have found it much better than fourth, it no longer drifts above the
limit, and is much more controllable. On the down side it must be using
diesel, but I have never been able to measure this, so probably not much.

For overtaking, in a 30 limit, third is a great improvement on fourth, one
just puts ones foot down and away it goes, much easier than changing down
then putting your foot down. Mine pulls well up to 60mph in third so no
problem with overrevving, I tow in third at the 60mph limit when going up
steepish hills.

Why not try driving in third in towns? You might like it.

Dave F

Old January 15th 04, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

In ,
Dave Fawthrop fumbled, fiddled and
fingered:
[...]

this has been the recommendation of the AIM for years ... but of course
cos cage drivers pass their tests then never seek to update or enhance
their skills ever after they never get to read such information until it
makes the tabloids or the tv news ...

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Old January 15th 04, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Why not try driving in third in towns? You might like it.

Dave F

It is sometimes appropriate - but not always. Your engine is usually at its
most efficient when using the highest gear in which it will pull smoothly.
If you use a lower gear than this, not only will you use more fuel, but you
will also create more pollution - which is the exact opposite of what towns
need!

Couple this with speed bumps, and you've got a double wammy! You create
*far* more pollution slowing for bumps and then accelerating again than you
do when maintaining a steady speed.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old January 15th 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Funkyman

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
[...]

My car will do 120mph in third, no good for me LOL.
If I need to keep to the speed limit, which I should, I use the cruise
control.
As more cars have this feature these days, I would recommend that instead.

Dave

Old January 15th 04, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TMC

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
Just before Christmas there was a publicity drive encouraging people to
drive in third gear in towns, because modern cars tend to drift above 30

in
30 limit areas.

snip

Why not try driving in third in towns? You might like it.

Dave F

Have been doing this for a couple of years now have not noticed much

change in increase in fuel consumption

4th gear in a 40 limit works almost as well.

Apparently some modern gear boxes (e.g. Ford Astras) are not designed for
30mph in 4th or higher gear

According to my son the problem is that in the driving lessons and test you
are told to get into the highest gear possible as soon as possible. As
driving tests are frequently done all in a 30 limit the examiner would never
find out if driver knew where 4th and 5th gears were!!!

Tony

Old January 15th 04, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:08:16 -0000, "TMC" wrote:

| 4th gear in a 40 limit works almost as well.

IIRC this depends on your car. Mine does 40 in 4th like a dream, if rather
slippery.

| Apparently some modern gear boxes (e.g. Ford Astras) are not designed for
| 30mph in 4th or higher gear

Mine works fine but it is Turbo Diesel.

Dave F

Old January 15th 04, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

In ,
TMC fumbled, fiddled and fingered:
[...]

Ford Astra? I thought Astras were made by Vauxhall?

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Old January 15th 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TMC

"Steve Parry" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry I did mean Vauxhall really

Tony