Bit O.T. Discovery gearbox.

Old January 15th 04, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barleycorn

Default Bit O.T. Discovery gearbox.

Thought a recent experience of mine may help others.

The gears got very hard to engage on my Discovery, and eventually it jammed
in second. The old girl has done 125000 miles, hard ones at that as she
has been on farms all her life, so I thought it was time for an exchange
gearbox. Before committing myself I thought that it would lose nothing to
have a little dig below the gear lever.
After removing the centre console we drilled out the dozen or so pop rivets,
and found that there is a flat plate with a curled up lip at one end, that
holds the springs apart on the selector mechanism. The lip on this plate
was broken off. We replaced this plate, (cost about 3.50), and found that
this almost cured the problem. However the gear selection still wasn't
brilliant, so we dug a bit further and removed the gear lever. Here we
found that the nylon bush that the gear lever swivelled on had broken up.
We replaced this bush, (1.50 I think), and now the gears are as tight as
new.
The frightening thing was that our dealer checked his computer and said that
this was the first bush that he had sold. It has to be asked how many
people have been stung 1500 to have a new gearbox fitted, when a fiver and
a couple of hours tinkering would have solved the problem.

Barleycorn.

Old January 15th 04, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
marsupilami

"Barleycorn" wrote in message
[...]

Hi

We run a discovery, so the info is much appreciated for future reference.
It is also common knowledge that Disco`s have gearbox probs as standard,
infact the gearbox had been replaced in ours prior to purchase. Makes you
think, doesn`t it??

Old January 15th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
M.H. Greaves.

i'll bet you mechanics must be laughing up their sleeves at people, this
happened to me, with my escort, i was told the selectors were shot but on
further testing myself determined that the linkage was fine in the gearbox,
but it was just the selecting from the gear lever that was suspect, i did
much the same as you, i went to a dealer and got a new nylon bushm then went
to a scrapy and bought a complete remote gear selector unit (gear lever
assembly), i stripped it down and cleaned it out, putting on the new part,
put it back together, and back in the car and the gears were perfect after
that.
I was told by a mechanic that when i felt a judder on releasing the clutch
(only when i was towing) was the clutch collapsing, (this i thought strange
because i'd just had that done!). I set a mirror up outside my lock up, put
in rear wheel chocks, and let the clutch out a few times, and noticed that
the engine juddered about a bit more than it should, then looked at the book
for the car and noticed that there are 3 engine mounts, which can be
replaced, which i did, and hey presto (or whatever!) no judder! I do all my
own repairs now, or if i cant do it i get my bro' in law to do it ( he's a
time served mech').

Old January 16th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Barleycorn
writes
[...]

Always worth asking on alt.fan.landrover about any problems with any
model.
--
hugh