Awning Pegs

Old January 15th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Carl Barratt

Default Awning Pegs

I am new to putting up awnings. Can someone tell me which pegs do you use
for hard standing pitches?

Thanks

Carl

Old January 15th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Carl Barratt" wrote in message
I am new to putting up awnings. Can someone tell me which pegs do you use
for hard standing pitches?

Thanks

Carl

I use what I think are called 'rock pegs' they look like a very large nail
with a small cross section at the top that prevents the guy rope coming off.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old January 15th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"Carl Barratt" wrote in message
I am new to putting up awnings. Can someone tell me which pegs do you use
for hard standing pitches?

You can get steel pegs. They look like big nails and are about 9 inches
long. They either have a plastic 'T' piece at the top or you can get them
with a welded cross-bar on. Cost varies depending where you buy them (in
caravan/camping shops) but expect to pay between 50p and 1 each. I use
them all the time now, regardless of the pitch type. Plastic pegs just
don't last very long.

Old January 15th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hayes

Sigmund wrote:

"Carl Barratt" wrote in message
I am new to putting up awnings. Can someone tell me which pegs do you use
for hard standing pitches?

You can get steel pegs. They look like big nails and are about 9 inches
long. They either have a plastic 'T' piece at the top or you can get them
with a welded cross-bar on. Cost varies depending where you buy them (in
caravan/camping shops) but expect to pay between 50p and 1 each. I use
them all the time now, regardless of the pitch type. Plastic pegs just
don't last very long.

I've inherited some of these. How do you get them out of hard ground when
you want to leave!?

Thanks,
Tony
Old January 16th 04, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Tony Hayes" wrote in message
t...
Sigmund wrote:

"Carl Barratt" wrote in message
I am new to putting up awnings. Can someone tell me which pegs do you

use
for hard standing pitches?

snip

I've inherited some of these. How do you get them out of hard ground when
you want to leave!?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony,
Use a claw hammer to extract them if the ground is soft use a piece of wood
under the hammer head part to stop the head digging into the ground and you
also have a hammer to bang them in.
MikeS

Old January 16th 04, 07:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:43:32 -0000, Tony Hayes wrote:

| Sigmund wrote:
|

| "Carl Barratt" wrote in message
| I am new to putting up awnings. Can someone tell me which pegs do you use
| for hard standing pitches?
|
| You can get steel pegs. They look like big nails and are about 9 inches
| long. They either have a plastic 'T' piece at the top or you can get them
| with a welded cross-bar on. Cost varies depending where you buy them (in
| caravan/camping shops) but expect to pay between 50p and 1 each. I use
| them all the time now, regardless of the pitch type. Plastic pegs just
| don't last very long.
|

| I've inherited some of these. How do you get them out of hard ground when
| you want to leave!?

Put a loop in the end of a long piece of guy rope.
Put the loop round the peg, and other end over your shoulder, free end
forward, in line with the peg.
Bend legs, tighten rope, straighten legs.
Job done.

Your legs are stronger than your arms or back.

Dave F

Old January 16th 04, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
Put a loop in the end of a long piece of guy rope.
Put the loop round the peg, and other end over your shoulder, free end
forward, in line with the peg.
Bend legs, tighten rope, straighten legs.
Job done.

Your legs are stronger than your arms or back.

Dave F

Thank you for that Dave. There you go I am generally thought to be a
practical person but I have never thought of that. I have used a short
piece of cord in the past, or a peg puller that I made some years ago with a
piece of metal rod 'Araldited' into a piece of broom handle and bent into a
hook at the end, but have always pulled with my arms and have had some
difficulty on occasions.

Regards.

Dave Dew

Old January 16th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hayes

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:43:32 -0000, Tony Hayes wrote:

| Sigmund wrote:
|

| "Carl Barratt" wrote in message
| I am new to putting up awnings. Can someone tell me which pegs do you use
| for hard standing pitches?
|
| You can get steel pegs. They look like big nails and are about 9 inches
| long. They either have a plastic 'T' piece at the top or you can get them
| with a welded cross-bar on. Cost varies depending where you buy them (in
| caravan/camping shops) but expect to pay between 50p and 1 each. I use
| them all the time now, regardless of the pitch type. Plastic pegs just
| don't last very long.
|

| I've inherited some of these. How do you get them out of hard ground when
| you want to leave!?

Put a loop in the end of a long piece of guy rope.
Put the loop round the peg, and other end over your shoulder, free end
forward, in line with the peg.
Bend legs, tighten rope, straighten legs.
Job done.

Your legs are stronger than your arms or back.

Dave F

Dave,

Presumably done very slowly, otherwise I can imagine one flying through the
air and doing some mischief ;-)

Tony
Old January 16th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Tony Hayes" wrote in message
t...

Presumably done very slowly, otherwise I can imagine one flying through

the
air and doing some mischief ;-)

Tony

Tony,

I thought of that immediately after I had posted my thanks to Dave. I think
he should tell us if there have been any mishaps. The result could be quite
amusing with about 6 feet of nylon cord pulled taut and a steel rock peg
suddenly releasing. Especially as I read it, you would have your back to
the peg. I shall have a go but will keep one hand covering the back of my
bald nut. :-)

Regards.

Dave Dew