DOGS AND CARAVANNING - ADVICE NEEDED

Old January 16th 04, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Judith Mott

Default DOGS AND CARAVANNING - ADVICE NEEDED

We have been caravanning for a few years with our now 8 year old son, and
we have just got a new member to our family - a border collie puppy. We
intend to continue caravanning as much as possible 'cause we love it and
hope that our new puppy will come to love the lifestyle as well. If there
is any advice anyone can give us re dogs and caravanning - anything to make
life easier, or little suggestions to help in the day to day business of
having a dog in the caravan and, or, awning, we would be very grateful.
Many thanks,
Jude.

Old January 16th 04, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Judith Mott" wrote in message
We have been caravanning for a few years with our now 8 year old son, and
we have just got a new member to our family - a border collie puppy. We
intend to continue caravanning as much as possible 'cause we love it and
hope that our new puppy will come to love the lifestyle as well. If there
is any advice anyone can give us re dogs and caravanning - anything to

make
life easier, or little suggestions to help in the day to day business of
having a dog in the caravan and, or, awning, we would be very grateful.

When our children were young we had a dog and he caravanned well.
But be mindful of others.
Take care where you walk him and pick up the results.
Keep him under control so he does not wee on awnings of others, it ruins
them.
Do not let him bark continuosly.

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 16th 04, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bev Dickinson

"Judith Mott" wrote in message
We have been caravanning for a few years with our now 8 year old son, and
we have just got a new member to our family - a border collie puppy. We
intend to continue caravanning as much as possible 'cause we love it and
hope that our new puppy will come to love the lifestyle as well. If there
is any advice anyone can give us re dogs and caravanning - anything to

make
life easier, or little suggestions to help in the day to day business of
having a dog in the caravan and, or, awning, we would be very grateful.
Many thanks,
Jude.

Hi;
We too caravan with both kids and a dog. The dog is also a staffordshire
Bull Terrier, which some times raises a few frowns, although he is friendly
with people.

We have a very strong screw thing, bit like a corkscrew, which we screw into
the ground and a long lead, (it is actually a lead rein for a shire horse),
both of which are strong. These we fasten the dog to whilst setting up on
site, if we want the door open on sunny days etc. Although we have a full
awning the dog is always fastened to this if he is outside the caravan.

Never let your dog roam free, always keep on a lead on sites. I have seen
plenty walking their dogs around the site without, but even if your dog is
well behaved it doesn't mean the one he has gone to say hello to is.

Stock up with pooh bags, I use cheap nappy sacks, which also are scented,
if you have a pound shop near they do boxes of 150 for a 1.

We tend to stay on CL's and they often have livestock near, ours is scared
of sheep so not a problem really, however you may find yours wishes to herd
things, be aware of it.

Always check that the site allows dogs, some ask the breed, we have been
refused because of this.

We also have a single duvet cut in half, one in the awning, one in the
caravan, this is the dogs space, if he gets tired or bored etc, he has
learnt that no-one bothers him there, like you having a quiet five minutes
with a coffee, the duvets have covers on, Thomas tank engine I think,
which are easy to wash.

Take plenty of old towel for wiping muddy paws on, we have a big plastic
box kept under the caravan for the dogs toys, towels, treats etc. This
means you can wipe paws before they leap in the caravan.

Try not to leave the dog in the caravan at all, but occasionally you do, we
do, then pull blinds, curtains on the side towards most activity, but let
them look out of at least one window, it helps stop barking. Also cover
seats with old towels or something, and make sure you let down any tables,
we thought ours only sat on the seat, till we caught him spread on the
table. You won't keep them off the seats when you are out.

Hope this helps

Bev

Old January 16th 04, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

life easier, or little suggestions to help in the day to day business of
having a dog in the caravan and, or, awning, we would be very grateful.
Many thanks,
Jude.

I quite like dogs. However, they smell. (So do smokers).
When you come to sell/part ex the van it will be noticed and the value
reduced accordingly.
DaveK.

Old January 16th 04, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Bev Dickinson" wrote in message

Try not to leave the dog in the caravan at all, but occasionally you do,

we
do, then pull blinds, curtains on the side towards most activity, but let
them look out of at least one window, it helps stop barking. Also cover
seats with old towels or something, and make sure you let down any tables,
we thought ours only sat on the seat, till we caught him spread on the
table. You won't keep them off the seats when you are out.

Our dog, male, allways when we left him on his own would sit/sleep on my
seat. Same if left in the car.

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 16th 04, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Albert

|^eekaye wrote:
Judith Mott vomited DOGS AND CARAVANNING - ADVICE NEEDED onto my
velour:

We have been caravanning for a few years with our now 8 year old
son, and we have just got a new member to our family - a border
collie puppy. We intend to continue caravanning as much as possible
'cause we love it and hope that our new puppy will come to love the
lifestyle as well.

great, more dog**** on site.

just what the kids need to play in

Old January 16th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"Judith Mott" wrote in message
We have been caravanning for a few years with our now 8 year old son, and
we have just got a new member to our family - a border collie puppy. We
intend to continue caravanning as much as possible 'cause we love it and
hope that our new puppy will come to love the lifestyle as well. If there
is any advice anyone can give us re dogs and caravanning - anything to

make
life easier, or little suggestions to help in the day to day business of
having a dog in the caravan and, or, awning, we would be very grateful.
Many thanks,
Jude.

We have two dogs and often take them to the caravan with us. Here are some
general 'Do's and Dont's', most are common sense but they often form part of
site rules anyway.
Keep your dog on a lead while on site (except when he's inside the caravan
with you). There's nothing worse than having a strange dog wandering round,
cocking his leg everywhere and generally being a nuisance.
Walk your dog off-site or in the site's designated dog walking area (if they
have one).
Clean up after your dog.
Don't leave your dog unattended in the awning or caravan - unless it's just
for a few minutes while you go to empty rubbish or get water etc. The main
irritant to other caravanners (apart from poop) is continual barking and
this is often caused by owners going off, for hours sometimes, leaving the
dog wondering where his pack has got to.

Not all sites accept dogs, though the majority do, and this makes business
sense because I think that around a third of all caravan users have dogs
with them. Some sites will charge you extra if you bring your dog - about
50p to 1 a night.

We keep to the same doggie routine as at home, i.e. feeding and walking them
at the same times.
The dogs stay in the awning during the day and for part of the evening. We
got them a sleeping mat so that they don't have to lie on grass that may be
getting damp from dew etc (they usually ignore the mat and lie on the grass
anyway). They spend the night inside the caravan with us.
To tether your dog while he's in the awning you can get a ground spike that
looks like a giant corkscrew from most caravan accessory shops. Screw it
into the ground and fasten his lead to it. If you want to give him some
extra room, buy some chain from B&Q and attach it to the ground spike and
fit a lead clip to the other end. The CC and C&CC have rules about the
maximum lead length you can use - from memory I think they say 'nothing
longer than six feet' but I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm
wrong.

Our dogs love caravanning - so many new things to sniff - I'm sure your dog
will love it too.

Old January 16th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"David" wrote in message

When our children were young we had a dog and he caravanned well.
But be mindful of others.
Take care where you walk him and pick up the results.
Keep him under control so he does not wee on awnings of others, it ruins
them.
Do not let him bark continuosly.

Excellent advice, well done for having the courage to say it!

Mary

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 16th 04, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:38:17 -0000, "Albert"
wrote:

just what the kids need to play in

Children should be on leads at all times !
Old January 16th 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Judith Mott
writes
We have been caravanning for a few years with our now 8 year old son, and
we have just got a new member to our family - a border collie puppy. We
intend to continue caravanning as much as possible 'cause we love it and
hope that our new puppy will come to love the lifestyle as well. If there
is any advice anyone can give us re dogs and caravanning - anything to make
life easier, or little suggestions to help in the day to day business of
having a dog in the caravan and, or, awning, we would be very grateful.
Many thanks,
Jude.

When arriving on a site we always seek a pitch as close to the dog walk
as possible. This means minimum time to get him to an acceptable place
to relieve himself and minimum risk of accidental fouling.
--
hugh