Taking Dogs Abroad - help please

Old January 18th 04, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
AH

Default Taking Dogs Abroad - help please

A friend of mine (computer illiterate!), wants to take her dog to France
this summer.

She has done the necessary with regard to getting a Doggy Passport or
whatever they are called but has been told that her pooch has to be
inspected by a French vet between 48 and 24 hrs before they return to UK.

is this correct? is it easy to find a vet? and any other tips, advice or
help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

--
Remove "THE BRAIN" to reply

Old January 18th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
klyne

--
"AH" wrote in message
A friend of mine (computer illiterate!), wants to take her dog to France
this summer.

She has done the necessary with regard to getting a Doggy Passport or
whatever they are called but has been told that her pooch has to be
inspected by a French vet between 48 and 24 hrs before they return to UK.

is this correct? is it easy to find a vet? and any other tips, advice or
help would be very gratefully received.

Does your friend have access to a computer, if so I suggest it might be
worth looking at http://www.btinternet.com/~harryroge...lyspasport.htm

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old January 18th 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
HH

We have taken our dogs to Europe several times without any problems and
brought them back again without any problems!

We always allow three days in the Pas de Calais so that it is possible to go
the Vet we use in ARDRES - several campsites nearby and easy parking in
Ardres, good Champion supermarket too not far and about 15 mins from the
Tunnel - and at the Vets we make an appointment for the next day at a time
convenient for a Tunnel or ferry booking, made so that we travel early in
the 24hr - 48hr opening the regs allow.
As long as the paperwork is all complete, the three Veterinary partners at
the CLINIQUE du DRAP D'OR, in the market place in Ardres know what to do and
where to put their rubber stamps and signatures. They are helpful, and speak
a little English, tho some French helps. As with many things, the
Veterinaries in France are less expensive than in the UK and the drugs they
user considerably cheaper!

Once the injections have been done, 24hrs and one minute later it is OK to
leave France - at the ferry terminal for SEAFRANCE we have always found
staff helpful and the Tunnel has a separate check in office for travellers
with animals and the staff there are experts and very helpful. Travelling by
tunnel is more expensive but you don't have to leave the vehicle and there
are no uncertainties about weather delays. If travelling by ferry we always
assume that if the weather is at all bad we scrap the ticket and use the
tunnel in order to avoid the risk of not being able to dock at Dover and
dogs being in the motorvan in the hold and inaccessible for what could be
several hours.

There are two things to be aware of when travelling with animals in Europe:
temperatures are higher from early Spring to late Autumn than here in
general and a non-airconditioned vehicle might be hard on a dog in warm
weather and in Spain packs of "wild" dogs are not unknown in urban areas and
can be unpleasant.

On the plus side France and the French love dogs - in many shops,
restaurants, other public places it is quite normal to have yr dog with you
and is wonderful after the anti-dog mentality which has developed in the UK
in recent years. Dogs are welcome on campsites, on leashes of course, and
occasionally camp-site owners/staff will ask to see the vaccination
certificates.

There are individual regs in different countries relating to dogs in public
and those should be checked with Tourist Offices or Embassies or the Caravan
Club.

Malcolm
################################################## #################

Old January 18th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ben Franklin

"AH" wrote in message
A friend of mine (computer illiterate!), wants to take her dog to France
this summer.

She has done the necessary with regard to getting a Doggy Passport or
whatever they are called but has been told that her pooch has to be
inspected by a French vet between 48 and 24 hrs before they return to UK.

is this correct? is it easy to find a vet? and any other tips, advice or
help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Your friend should have no problem taking her dog to France, it's the return
journey to the UK that you have to take care. The dog has to be treated for
ticks and the fox tapeworm by a vet, and issued with the correct form to
certify this. You must then wait for 24 hours after treatment and no more
than 48 hours before boarding the ferry or train.

The EU has proposed that all countries issue a standard passport for pets,
rather like our own, which will contain all of the animal's details and
treatments. You can read more about this and more details about passports
for pets here http://freespace.virgin.net/passports.forpets/

Rabies vaccines in the UK are valid for 2 years and this also covers travel
anywhere in the EU even though in some countries, France is one of them,
insist on yearly boosters for resident pets.

Ben Franklin