calais at night

Old July 14th 03, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mo

Default calais at night

We have always caught the late boat across i.e. 2 am ish. and travelled
about 60 or so Km put our feet down for a kip for a few hours.

My wife has suggested that this year we stay on Calais docks after the boat
has docked and sleep there All this about Noxious gas and stuff

-- Can you do this -- I have seen vans there when I have arrived early in
the morning previously which look as though they were "sleeping"

If so how do you get from the boat arrivals area to the Departure car park?

--
(All Incoming and Outgoing Emails Scanned With Norton Antivirus 2003)

Old July 15th 03, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JoBo

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:06:39 +0100, "mo"
wrote:

We have always caught the late boat across i.e. 2 am ish. and travelled
about 60 or so Km put our feet down for a kip for a few hours.

My wife has suggested that this year we stay on Calais docks after the boat
has docked and sleep there All this about Noxious gas and stuff

-- Can you do this -- I have seen vans there when I have arrived early in
the morning previously which look as though they were "sleeping"

If so how do you get from the boat arrivals area to the Departure car park?

Yes you can stay overnight and it is safe .. the park is well lit and
is under surveillance of cc tv .....When you get of the ferry turn
left at the roundabout and you will see the entrance to the park I
think there is a cafe and showers/toilets available also
Old July 15th 03, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Derek

You can sleep over in the car park but the noise is terrible
I would think again if you like a good nights sleep, there are vehicles
lorries, cars, caravans, moving all night we hardly got any sleep as the
road is next to the parking area plus the caravans were winding up there
legs at all hours much to noisy. there are sites just about 1/2 hours drive
from Calais in most directions. its not worth it in my opinion.
there are no problems moving from the car park to the ferry or exiting to
Calais and the motorway

Old July 15th 03, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mo

but can you get in a site at 4am??

we normally travel down to round about Bethune to a service station there
but mien frau is a bit worried about gas!!

Old July 15th 03, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Derek

I travel down from the North 330miles during the day, stay overnight on a
site IE Folkestone racecourse, early ferry across and travel down to Orleans
and stop about 5pm on a site then travel the rest of the day to where I need
to be, no night driving needed and your not tired either. my cost on the
ferry last year was 132 for car plus 6.5m caravan.
I only paid 132 for my ferry last year. bigger van this year 7.5 and its
still only 232.
I cross at 7-45 am travel back at 12 midday. booked in November 2002

Old July 15th 03, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rob

Try just driving round to the hoverport. It is not as noisy as the main
docks as Hoverspeed do not operate at night but you will still get some
noise from the nearby factory and motorway.

---

Old July 16th 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Webb

"Rob" wrote in message
Try just driving round to the hoverport. It is not as noisy as the main
docks as Hoverspeed do not operate at night but you will still get some
noise from the nearby factory and motorway.

They stopped hovering some time ago

Bob

Old July 16th 03, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rob

"Bob Webb" wrote in message

"Rob" wrote in message
Try just driving round to the hoverport. It is not as noisy as the main
docks as Hoverspeed do not operate at night but you will still get some
noise from the nearby factory and motorway.

They stopped hovering some time ago

Bob

Yes I know but they still operate the Seacat service from the port.

Old July 17th 03, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:36:55 +0100, "Rob"
wrote:

Try just driving round to the hoverport. It is not as noisy as the main
docks as Hoverspeed do not operate at night but you will still get some
noise from the nearby factory and motorway.

Agreed we always park up there.

Lenny