Trooper

Old January 18th 04, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken Fraser

Default Trooper

Hi
we've bought a second hand Jap import Trooper Irmscher 3.1td swb for towing
(waiting for new Ranger to be delivered in May), not off-roading. The
previous owner fitted really big tyres (265x75x16) to make it sit even
higher.
Will these tyres have any adverse impact on towing? or should I go back to
the standard size (245x70x16)?
Grateful for any advice.
Regards
Ken

Old January 18th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Ken Fraser posted ...

Hi
we've bought a second hand Jap import Trooper Irmscher 3.1td swb for
towing (waiting for new Ranger to be delivered in May), not
off-roading. The previous owner fitted really big tyres (265x75x16)
to make it sit even higher.
Will these tyres have any adverse impact on towing? or should I go
back to the standard size (245x70x16)?
Grateful for any advice.

Yup .. my Disco has larger than standard tyres which are fine for
off-roading, they give a larger footprint, but raise the gearing slightly
and when going uphill with a wind against us when towing, we sometimes drop
to fourth. With stock size tyres the gearing is excellent, though we do aim
to change the gearing shortly as we like the 'feel' of larger tyres and will
be buying exactly the same ones again.

There is also the consideration of over-gearing messing with the speedo
reading. We found ours is now absolutely spot-on - with stock tyres it's
about 8% high, ie you're doing 27 but the speedo's reading 30 mph. Now when
our speedo says 30 we are doing 30. (Checked with GPS signals a number of
times in a number of locations over a number of days and weather conditions)

There is also the chance of raising the front of the 'van enough that it van
cause instability. We use an approved drop-plate to keep the outfit level.

--
Paul