uk.rec.caravanning.moderated ?

Old January 21st 04, 05:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default uk.rec.caravanning.moderated ?

When?

I've noted that at least 2 of the NG's that suffer like ours have gone '
..moderated '.

In spite of the Message rules most of us set up they have started to get
through again.

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 21st 04, 07:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Bell

David wrote:

When?

I've noted that at least 2 of the NG's that suffer like ours have gone '
.moderated '.

In spite of the Message rules most of us set up they have started to get
through again.

It just needs someone with:
1. The time and energy to follow the rules,
2. Access to a moderating 'bot for first level moderation once the group
is up

to start the process. No point just talking about it! ;-)

Stuart
--
Spamfritterspam exists only in the world of the address
harvesting spam bot. Try stuartsmacs at the same domain
Old January 21st 04, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 06:59:49 -0000, "David"
wrote:

| When?
|
| I've noted that at least 2 of the NG's that suffer like ours have gone '
| .moderated '.

The problems of urc are an order, 1 1/0 less, than those experianced
elsewhere.

Davve F
Old January 21st 04, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"David" wrote in message
When?

I've noted that at least 2 of the NG's that suffer like ours have gone '
.moderated '.
In spite of the Message rules most of us set up they have started to get
through again.

I don't see many troll messages these days. The few that get through
(mostly from idiots replying to troll messages) are easily handled. I have
not got a single 'Message Rule' set up, I just Block Sender then choose the
option to have 'all' messages from that sender removed (this is in OE). If
they change ID they are soon spotted and seconds later they are history
again. It is so simple that I cannot imagine why anyone should still be
putting up with troll posts.

Old January 21st 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve W...

'
.moderated '.
In spite of the Message rules most of us set up they have started to get
through again.

I don't see many troll messages these days. The few that get through
(mostly from idiots replying to troll messages) are easily handled. I

have
not got a single 'Message Rule' set up, I just Block Sender then choose

the
option to have 'all' messages from that sender removed (this is in OE).

If
they change ID they are soon spotted and seconds later they are history
again. It is so simple that I cannot imagine why anyone should still be
putting up with troll posts.

Can you post up an idiots guide of how to do this please.

Steve...

Old January 21st 04, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"Steve W..." wrote in message
news
"Sigmund" wrote in message
I just Block Sender then choose
the option to have 'all' messages from that sender removed (this is in

OE).

Can you post up an idiots guide of how to do this please.

No problem. This is for Outlook Express 6. I can't help with other
newsreader progs though I suspect most of them will have similar features.

1. Click on the header of the offending message and leave it highlighted.
2. Click on 'Message' at top of screen, a drop down menu appears.
3. Click on 'Block Sender' - this will block the sender of the highlighted
message (and any future ones that they send) but ....
4. .... you will also be asked if you want to remove other messages from
that sender that have already made it to the ng - just click yes to that.
5. Repeat as necessary.

Finally, if you Block someone by accident go to 'Tools' (drop down menu
appears) then Message Rules (side menu appears) then Blocked Sender List -
you can then amend the list as you wish.

Old January 21st 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:24:57 -0000, "Steve W..."
wrote:

Can you post up an idiots guide of how to do this please.

I posted this message earlier this week, trust me it works. You will
get virtually nothing in that you have to filter at all.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:12:51 +0000, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:48:20 +0000 (UTC), "PacC"
wrote:

| Can anyone explain in "easy to follow" steps how to block cross posting
| N/Gs. Is it easy to block posts with more than 3 N/Gs?I am using outlook
| express which I gather isn't the best.
| Simple directions would be greatly appreciated as I am sick of the trolls.

Nothing is easy :-(
If as you are using OE nfilter/News proxy http://www.nfilter.org/ should
work.

Dave's recommendation of newsproxy is a solution to crossposters, they just disappear. He was the one whose recommedation I first followed but couldnot set it up to work. I then got infomation from Ian D who suggested the following links

For a very helpful doc. file,
http://web.archive.org/web/200210130...r.org/faq.html

and for the executable,
http://web.archive.org/web/200202080...120/np-120.exe

This is much easier to see what you are doing with it. To set it up to get rid of all the croos posts that have been arriving in this group for the past 48 hours or so ( I've not seen them but I know they have been there ) just look on the edit menu and edit filters by placing the following line at the bottom of the file.

uk.rec.caravanning drop newsgroups:*,*,*

In addition as I use Agent all I needed to do was to copy the name of the newserver I use into the relevant place on the networks tab of the newsproxy configuration section ( on the edit menu ) and then change the newserver in my copy of Agent to localhost. result not one piece of rubbish received since christmas. I see the number of headers that are available when Agent logs in and then compare it with the number of messages that it actually downloads and the difference is the rubbish. I know that last night it offered me something like 350 messages of which my setup only downloaded about 50 all relevant and all about caravans.

The following was posted in December about how to set it up to use in OE. The relevant thread is 2Filtering using OE and newsproxy "

2.1 How do I install nfilter?
Newer versions of nfilter (now called NewsProxy) are self-installing using
InstallShield. Just download the installation file from the web page and run
the application. It will take care of the rest of the process for you.

After installation, you need to do some configuration of nfilter.

For most purposes, the only information you need to change in the
configuration file is the "NewsServer" entry. Set this to the name of the
news server you normally read news from.

See 2.5 for more information on configuring.

2.2 How do I run it?
If you selected the defaults while installing nfilter, then a short cut has
automatically been created from your start menu. Click "start", select
"programs", then "Newsproxy" and then click the newsproxy icon. Before you
use NewsProxy you should confired the name of your news server in the
configuration/network panel. The fields are as follows:

server - The news server to connect to (eg. news.foo.com)

port - This optional field specifies what port to connect to on the remote
server. By default this is the nntp port (119).

listen port - This optional field specified which local port to listen to.
The default is nntp (119), but if you wish to run multiple proxies (eg. for
multiple news servers), you should set each one to listen to a different
local port.

I needed to do no more than the above for it to work ..

Setting up Outlook Express 6

Assuming you are using news.individual.net as your newsserver ..

Right click on news.individual.net, select 'properties', select 'Server'
tab, enter Server Name as 'localhost', instead of news.individual.net, but
keep 'log on' checked and the Account name and Password as they are for the
standard news server name.

Select 'Connection' tab, Add, 'Dial up to private network', General tab host
name needs to be '127.0.0.1', and check 'Dial another Connection First',
which is changed or kept to an existing Internet Account ..

I found no need to change any other OE settings ..

my thanks again to Dave Fawthrop for suggesting newsproxy in the first place and to Ian D for giving me a slightly different slant.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old January 21st 04, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Judith Mott

Thanks for that Steve W - sorted. Hopefully everyone else will do the same
and then this certain type of person won't be getting any feedback, then
will get bored and will have to find some other sad pastime!
"Steve W..." wrote in message

"Sigmund" wrote in message

"Steve W..." wrote in message
news
"Sigmund" wrote in message
[...]

List -

Old January 21st 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Steve W..." wrote in message
news
Can you post up an idiots guide of how to do this please.

I will try, hope I get it right.

Look at the many NGs they are xposting to.
Select one you do not wish to use, subscribe to it, and download the headers
only.
Now go to Tools then Message Rules, select News.
make new rule
Condition 1 click first box
Condition 2 click delete it
Cond. 3 click specified
select your selected NG
Ok

To catch all the Xposts you may have to do this for more than one NG.

Please reply to News Group.