Unsubscribing

Old January 21st 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Glynn

Default Unsubscribing

I'm unsubscribing to this newsgroup forthwith until people start to grow up,
pity really had found it quite useful.

---

Old January 21st 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Funkyman

"Stephen Glynn" wrote in message
I'm unsubscribing to this newsgroup forthwith until people start to grow

up,
pity really had found it quite useful.

I will still lurk and exercise my killfile a little more.

Dave

Old January 21st 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Preston

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:52:19 +0000, Stephen Glynn warbled:

I'm unsubscribing to this newsgroup forthwith until people start to grow up,
pity really had found it quite useful.

---

That's a pity Stephen. I assume you're referring to the troll activity.
Waiting for them to grow up might take awhile though and since some of
them are capable of breeding they may be replaced when they do. A
better solution is to use a "killfile", since I removed x-posts and
anything coming via Ambyte the group content is both sensible and useful.

--
Steve

My sig is short - but the rest of me is OK
Old January 21st 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bungle & Zippy

"Stephen Glynn" wrote in message
I'm unsubscribing to this newsgroup forthwith

Why announce the fact?

until people start to grow up,

This is supposed to make them grow up?

pity really had found it quite useful.

It is VERY useful even with the current crud
(of which I'm part and I apologise for baiting).

You could always grow up yourself, read the good stuff and dump the rest?
Or even use newsproxy, it isn't too difficult to do.
Personally I don't, but that's just me (I didn't grow up).

I'm honestly not wishing to offend Stephen, if you don't want to read their
posts then don't. If you can't help yourself, run newsproxy, the jobs a
goodun.

Old January 21st 04, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bungle & Zippy

"8gh42nfg-vo-mqe-[" r wrote
in message eels...
Now come on, what have you posted here in the last two months apart from
posts about me, or replies to me?

You dickwit, wtf has that got to do with the price of eggs?

Old January 22nd 04, 06:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve W...

"Steve Preston" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:52:19 +0000, Stephen Glynn warbled:

I'm unsubscribing to this newsgroup forthwith until people start to grow

up,
pity really had found it quite useful.

---

That's a pity Stephen. I assume you're referring to the troll activity.
Waiting for them to grow up might take awhile though and since some of
them are capable of breeding they may be replaced when they do. A
better solution is to use a "killfile", since I removed x-posts and
anything coming via Ambyte the group content is both sensible and useful.

What do you mean by Ambyte Steve & how do I add it?

Old January 22nd 04, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Got 95 posts early this am.
This inspite of all my rules and blocking, what it would be if I took the
blocks off I dread to think. Lets go moderated please.
Only 2 were ok and they are about xposting and not caravanning.
My door for unsubsribing is open.

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 22nd 04, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:58:17 -0000, "David"
wrote:

| Got 95 posts early this am.
| This inspite of all my rules and blocking, what it would be if I took the
| blocks off I dread to think. Lets go moderated please.
| Only 2 were ok and they are about xposting and not caravanning.
| My door for unsubsribing is open.

talking to the deaf
But your killfile is full of reasonable posters.
/talking to the deaf

:-(

Dave F

Old January 22nd 04, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

Could it have been David who typed:

|| Got 95 posts early this am.
|| This inspite of all my rules and blocking, what it would be if I
|| took the blocks off I dread to think. Lets go moderated please.
|| Only 2 were ok and they are about xposting and not caravanning.
|| My door for unsubsribing is open.
|| --
|| Regards,
|| David
snip:
|| grow
||| up,
|| useful.
||| What do you mean by Ambyte Steve & how do I add it?

I have started using news proxy and once its set up I have a usable
newsgroup. Search for Bill Lords posts which I will copy again below,

it really is that easy..............instructions follow

If as you are using OE nfilter/News proxy http://www.nfilter.org/ should
work.
Dave's recommendation of newsproxy is a solution to crossposters, they just
disappear. He was the one whose recommendation I first followed but couldn't
set it up to work. I then got information from Ian D who suggested the
following links

For a very helpful doc. file,
http://web.archive.org/web/200210130...r.org/faq.html

and for the executable,
http://web.archive.org/web/200202080...120/np-120.exe

This is much easier to see what you are doing with it. To set it up to get
rid of all the cross posts that have been arriving in this group for the
past 48 hours or so ( I've not seen them but I know they have been there )
just look on the edit menu and edit filters by placing the following line at
the bottom of the file.

uk.rec.caravanning drop newsgroups:*,*,*

In addition as I use Agent all I needed to do was to copy the name of the
newserver I use into the relevant place on the networks tab of the newsproxy
configuration section ( on the edit menu ) and then change the newserver in
my copy of Agent to localhost. result not one piece of rubbish received
since Christmas. I see the number of headers that are available when Agent
logs in and then compare it with the number of messages that it actually
downloads and the difference is the rubbish. I know that last night it
offered me something like 350 messages of which my set-up only downloaded
about 50 all relevant and all about caravans.

The following was posted in December about how to set it up to use in OE.
The relevant thread is Filtering using OE and newsproxy "

2.1 How do I install nfilter?

Newer versions of nfilter (now called NewsProxy) are self-installing using
InstallShield. Just download the installation file from the web page and run
the application. It will take care of the rest of the process for you.

After installation, you need to do some configuration of nfilter.
or most purposes, the only information you need to change in the
configuration file is the "NewsServer" entry. Set this to the name of the
news server you normally read news from.

See 2.5 for more information on configuring.

2.2 How do I run it?
If you selected the defaults while installing nfilter, then a short cut has
automatically been created from your start menu. Click "start", select
programs", then "Newsproxy" and then click the newsproxy icon. Before you
use NewsProxy you should confirm the name of your news server in the
configuration/network panel. The fields are as follows:

server - The news server to connect to (e.g.. news.foo.com)

port - This optional field specifies what port to connect to on the remote
server. By default this is the nntp port (119).

listen port - This optional field specified which local port to listen to.
The default is nntp (119), but if you wish to run multiple proxies (eg. for
multiple news servers), you should set each one to listen to a different
local port.

I needed to do no more than the above for it to work ..

Setting up Outlook Express 6
Assuming you are using news.individual.net as your newsserver ..
Right click on news.individual.net, select 'properties', select 'Server'
tab, enter Server Name as 'localhost', instead of news.individual.net, but
keep 'log on' checked and the Account name and Password as they are for the
standard news server name.

Select 'Connection' tab, Add, 'Dial up to private network', General tab host
name needs to be '127.0.0.1', and check 'Dial another Connection First',
which is changed or kept to an existing Internet Account ..

I found no need to change any other OE settings ..

Thankyou to all who have suggested this, and the instructions that have been
posted ad nausium! (here they are again!)

Des

---

Old January 22nd 04, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Preston

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:56:09 +0000, Steve W... warbled:

"Steve Preston" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:52:19 +0000, Stephen Glynn warbled:

I'm unsubscribing to this newsgroup forthwith until people start to grow

up,
pity really had found it quite useful.

snip
What do you mean by Ambyte Steve & how do I add it?

ambyte provide a usenet service that has an acceptable use policy which
allows virtually any amount of newsgroup abuse and in addition guarantees
privacy for its membership. It is a favourite for trolls.

For stopping it - depends on your newsreader. Check out Des's post.