Help! Any cure for scratched acrylic windows?

Old July 16th 03, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Westwell

Default Help! Any cure for scratched acrylic windows?

Hi all.....

Well got the new van yesterday and all was fine. Decided on the way home to
try it out on the storage site as it is difficult access and this van is a
metre longer. All seemed to go ok until tonight I discovered I have
scratched 3 of the windows on the hedge.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

At the moment I'm a little cheesed off but I guess it's no big deal just
very annoying and stupid as I realised I just caught the hedge but it never
crossed my mind about the windows. Funny thing is (not that I'm laughing) is
my previous caravan was at the same site for 4 years and I never noticed,
maybe the windows on that were so scratched I never noticed!

So the question is this.......

Is there any way to remove scratches from acrylic windows? The scratches are
lovely long vertical ones, if you run your nail across them you can feel
them although only very slightly, there are not deep scratches and are most
noticeable at night looking in when a light is on.

Please let there me a miracle cure, I've only had it day!

Regards,

Paul

Old July 16th 03, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
One of my manuals recommended metal polish (such as Brasso) will do the
trick but not tried it myself.
Curlytail

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message
| Hi all.....
|
| Well got the new van yesterday and all was fine. Decided on the way home
| try it out on the storage site as it is difficult access and this van is

| metre longer. All seemed to go ok until tonight I discovered I have
| scratched 3 of the windows on the hedge.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
|
| At the moment I'm a little cheesed off but I guess it's no big deal just
| very annoying and stupid as I realised I just caught the hedge but it
never
| crossed my mind about the windows. Funny thing is (not that I'm

laughing)
is
| my previous caravan was at the same site for 4 years and I never

noticed,
| maybe the windows on that were so scratched I never noticed!
|
| So the question is this.......
|
| Is there any way to remove scratches from acrylic windows? The scratches
are
| lovely long vertical ones, if you run your nail across them you can feel
| them although only very slightly, there are not deep scratches and are
most
| noticeable at night looking in when a light is on.
|
| Please let there me a miracle cure, I've only had it day!
|
| Regards,
|
| Paul

Or Silvo or even Duraglit if it is still made. Even more important is to
use a very soft cloth (Not a man made material) and plenty of water at the
same time. Rub the cloth round in small circles, don't apply too much
pressure and don't let it dry out. Not bad for tarting up watch glasses
as well.

Old July 17th 03, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Westwell

Thanks for the reply's guys, I will give this a go this evening... Thanks
also Bailey.. found your reply in the other thread!

One further question then.. Is one of the following likely to be better then
the others

Brasso
Duraglit
Silvo

If one is likely to have the edge I'll use it.

And finally...

Although in the past I have made silverware look great with the above
products I assume they work by abrasion but must be extremely fine
particles? If you apply these to Acrylic windows then do you not see any
fine marking?

Any recommendations of the cloth to use?

Regards and thanks...

Paul

Old July 17th 03, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"bowtiejim" wrote in message

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
One of my manuals recommended metal polish (such as Brasso) will do

the
trick but not tried it myself.
Curlytail

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message
| Hi all.....
|
| Well got the new van yesterday and all was fine. Decided on the way

home
| try it out on the storage site as it is difficult access and this

van
is
| metre longer. All seemed to go ok until tonight I discovered I have
| scratched 3 of the windows on the hedge.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
|
| At the moment I'm a little cheesed off but I guess it's no big deal

just
| very annoying and stupid as I realised I just caught the hedge but

it
never
| crossed my mind about the windows. Funny thing is (not that I'm

laughing)
is
| my previous caravan was at the same site for 4 years and I never

noticed,
| maybe the windows on that were so scratched I never noticed!
|
| So the question is this.......
|
| Is there any way to remove scratches from acrylic windows? The

scratches
are
| lovely long vertical ones, if you run your nail across them you can

feel
| them although only very slightly, there are not deep scratches and

are
most
| noticeable at night looking in when a light is on.
|
| Please let there me a miracle cure, I've only had it day!
|
| Regards,
|
| Paul

Or Silvo or even Duraglit if it is still made. Even more important is

use a very soft cloth (Not a man made material) and plenty of water at

the
same time. Rub the cloth round in small circles, don't apply too much
pressure and don't let it dry out. Not bad for tarting up watch

glasses
as well.

The finer the grain of the polish the better. I think jewellers use
something even finer that the above.

Old July 17th 03, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Paul
Westwell writes
If one is likely to have the edge I'll use it.

No you don't want anything with an edge.
--
hugh
Reply to address is valid
Old July 18th 03, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

[...]

Paul,
Teecut the stuff forecourt salesmen tart up cars with this it brings back
the gloss finish on paint that has dulled to a mat I used it on a car for
the same reason, I noticed that the rage, I used, turned the same colour as
the paint. I figured that it must be a very fine abrasive so would do the
same thing for plastic windows.
Mike

Old July 18th 03, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Westwell

Thanks all for your replies....

I tried three main caravan dealers out of interest and they all said they
use T Cut, gentle pressure and circular motion. I opted for this and it
worked a treat, windows as good as they were when new 1 day previous :-)

Was not sure if to apply polish to them afterwards or not?

Regards,

Paul

Old July 18th 03, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bailey

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message
Thanks all for your replies....

I tried three main caravan dealers out of interest and they all said they
use T Cut, gentle pressure and circular motion. I opted for this and it
worked a treat, windows as good as they were when new 1 day previous :-)

Was not sure if to apply polish to them afterwards or not?

Why not ask the Three main Dealers ?........
You come in here and ask for advice....you get it ....
Then you ask Dealers and follow there advice (which is mostly the same
advice given here)
Then ask should i polish........if you dont trust the advice already given,
why ask for more ???.

The Artist Formerly Known as Bailey
Will now be known as BM...for reasons I may or may
not reveal in the future.

BM.

Old July 19th 03, 06:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Cohen

In article ,
(Mike) wrote:

I noticed that the rage, I used, turned the same
colour as the paint.

Red?

Paul C.

Old July 19th 03, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Paul Cohen" wrote in message
.uk...
In article ,
(Mike) wrote:

I noticed that the rage, I used, turned the same
colour as the paint.

Red?

Paul C.

Paul,

I suppose we are ment to take that read !