Mobile phone use in France

Old July 16th 03, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken L

Default Mobile phone use in France

I have an Orange phone and looking on their website tonight, I find that all
of the three providers in France, say text back to the UK "not available".
This surprises me as when we were there last year we were able to text back
via "Itineris". has anyone been to France recently and successfully texted
back to the UK ?

regards ... ken

Old July 17th 03, 05:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger M

Yes, no problems with text on my Vodafone a/c. But the non text use cost me
a fortune!

I was away for 8 weeks touring around May/June and used several different
French providers without problem.

Roger

Old July 17th 03, 05:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Ken L" wrote in message
I have an Orange phone and looking on their website tonight, I find that

all
of the three providers in France, say text back to the UK "not available".
This surprises me as when we were there last year we were able to text

back
via "Itineris". has anyone been to France recently and successfully texted
back to the UK ?

regards ... ken

My wife has a Virgin phone and she corresponds with our children in the UK
by text message from all over France. Most recently last month from
Biarritz and Royan.

Regards

Dave Dew.

Old July 17th 03, 06:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Erdefen

Ken L wrote:

I have an Orange phone and looking on their website tonight, I find that all
of the three providers in France, say text back to the UK "not available".
This surprises me as when we were there last year we were able to text back
via "Itineris". has anyone been to France recently and successfully texted
back to the UK ?

regards ... ken

I have an Orange P as YG and I cannot send or receive text messages when in
France, I have a friend who also has an Orange, she has the same problem when in
France.
Erdefen

--
(Antispam, drop pants to EMail)
All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

Old July 17th 03, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

"Ken L" wrote in message
I have an Orange phone and looking on their website tonight, I find that

all
of the three providers in France, say text back to the UK "not available".
This surprises me as when we were there last year we were able to text

back
via "Itineris". has anyone been to France recently and successfully texted
back to the UK ?

Ken

I have always thought that a bit odd about Orange. My youngest son uses
Orange and he has texted me from in Europe and to the UK. You might want to
have a look at Virgin Mobile which is what I use, they certainly allow text
and the cost of their calls from Europe to the UK at .55p a minute is one of
the cheapest and you don't pay any monthly fee, you just pay for the calls
you make. It does depend on the pattern of phone use.

David - Milton Keynes

Old July 17th 03, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike @ www.sivros.net

"Ken L" wrote:

I have an Orange phone and looking on their website tonight, I find that all
of the three providers in France, say text back to the UK "not available".
This surprises me as when we were there last year we were able to text back
via "Itineris". has anyone been to France recently and successfully texted
back to the UK ?

regards ... ken

IIRC, Orange pay-as-you-go phones cannot send/receive
text messages in France but Orange monthly contact
phones can.

--

Mike @ www.sivros.net
Old July 17th 03, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve B

"Ken L" wrote in message
I have an Orange phone and looking on their website tonight, I find that

all
of the three providers in France, say text back to the UK "not available".
This surprises me as when we were there last year we were able to text

back
via "Itineris". has anyone been to France recently and successfully texted
back to the UK ?

regards ... ken

Both me and her indoors have Orange phones on contract. No problem sending
txt messages. We found SFR was a bit cheaper than Itineris but coverage for
us was better with Itineris (Royan/Bordeaux neck of the woods). Im assuming
that you've spoken to Orange and set your account up for roaming ?

Cheers

Old July 17th 03, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gill107

"Ken L" wrote in message
I have an Orange phone and looking on their website tonight, I find that

all
of the three providers in France, say text back to the UK "not available".
This surprises me as when we were there last year we were able to text

back
via "Itineris". has anyone been to France recently and successfully texted
back to the UK ?

regards ... ken

-----------------------------------
Wwe came back from the Perigord verte area of the Dordogne last weekend.
We have an Orange 'Pay-as-you-go' and we were regularly texting back to our
daughter's Orange mobile in the Uk. Cost 40p to send a text and nothing for
us to receive. I think my daughter's texts to us cost her 12p.
We were picking up OrangeF or SFR but there were a couple of days when we
couldn't get a message out because of low signal strength at the Chateau Le
Verdoyer campsite about 40 miles N of Perigueux.(Great site though!)

Gillian

Old July 17th 03, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BrianG

I don't know if this will help you or not. BUT when abroad (anywhere in the
world) I use the internet and go to Genie.co.uk and send text messages free
of charge.

--
BrianG
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old July 17th 03, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

"BrianG" wrote in message
I don't know if this will help you or not. BUT when abroad (anywhere in

the
world) I use the internet and go to Genie.co.uk and send text messages

free
of charge.

--

And how much do you pay to get on the internet?