Wheel bolt torque - how often

Old July 4th 03, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

Default Wheel bolt torque - how often

I was looking on the Al-Ko web site for some information and came across
this snip in their FAQ page,

''Standard AL-KO Chassis use M12 Wheel Bolts and these MUST always be
tightened to 88 Nm (65 lbs/ft), in sequence (ie, North, South, East, West)
NEVER clockwise or anti-clockwise. Always use a calibrated torque wrench
like the AL-KO Torque Wrench (see our Mail Order Section).

REMEMBER it is as dangerous to over-tighten wheel bolts as it is to
under-tighten them. Torque settings should be rechecked after 50 Km!''

I was amazed ..... surely 50Km can't be correct .... anyone any ideas?

If the foregoing is wrong what is the normal recommendation?

Richard

Old July 4th 03, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark Pewsey

In ,
Richard wrote:
| I was looking on the Al-Ko web site for some information and came
| across this snip in their FAQ page,
|
| ''Standard AL-KO Chassis use M12 Wheel Bolts and these MUST always be
| tightened to 88 Nm (65 lbs/ft), in sequence (ie, North, South, East,
| West) NEVER clockwise or anti-clockwise. Always use a calibrated
| torque wrench like the AL-KO Torque Wrench (see our Mail Order
| Section).
|
| REMEMBER it is as dangerous to over-tighten wheel bolts as it is to
| under-tighten them. Torque settings should be rechecked after 50 Km!''
|
| I was amazed ..... surely 50Km can't be correct .... anyone any ideas?
|
| If the foregoing is wrong what is the normal recommendation?
|
| Richard

They mean check once again after 50Km if you have had the wheels off -
not every 50Km!

Mark

Old July 4th 03, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

Richard wrote in message
I was looking on the Al-Ko web site for some information and came across
this snip in their FAQ page,

''Standard AL-KO Chassis use M12 Wheel Bolts and these MUST always be
tightened to 88 Nm (65 lbs/ft), in sequence (ie, North, South, East, West)
NEVER clockwise or anti-clockwise. Always use a calibrated torque wrench
like the AL-KO Torque Wrench (see our Mail Order Section).

REMEMBER it is as dangerous to over-tighten wheel bolts as it is to
under-tighten them. Torque settings should be rechecked after 50 Km!''

I was amazed ..... surely 50Km can't be correct .... anyone any ideas?

If the foregoing is wrong what is the normal recommendation?

I had my wheels off last week for new tyres before going away. I checked
them after thirty miles and they were down to about 40 ft lbs. Tightened
them up to 65 ft lbs, checked again at the site and they had loosened off,
but only a bit, so did them again. Checked when I got home and they were
fine, so probably a couple of checks is worthwhile.

Bill

Old July 6th 03, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
slnc

"Richard" wrote in message
| I was looking on the Al-Ko web site for some information and came across
| this snip in their FAQ page,
|
| ''Standard AL-KO Chassis use M12 Wheel Bolts and these MUST always be
| tightened to 88 Nm (65 lbs/ft), in sequence (ie, North, South, East, West)
| NEVER clockwise or anti-clockwise. Always use a calibrated torque wrench
| like the AL-KO Torque Wrench (see our Mail Order Section).
|
| REMEMBER it is as dangerous to over-tighten wheel bolts as it is to
| under-tighten them. Torque settings should be rechecked after 50 Km!''
|
| I was amazed ..... surely 50Km can't be correct .... anyone any ideas?
|
| If the foregoing is wrong what is the normal recommendation?
|
| Richard

Hi Richard,

It is best to check each time you take your Caravan out check that your
wheels are torque up to 65 lbs/ft,
And if you have your wheels off do them up about 3 to 4 time,
I do not why caravan wheels keep coming loess from time to time?,
But its all was best to check them before you take the caravan out.
Hope this is off help to you.

John
slnc
www.slnc.btinternet.co.uk
A Member of:-
C & C.C and C.C
K.I.O.T.R.C
It was my Spel Checker that check it not me?,

Old July 7th 03, 05:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
chrisnew

"slnc" wrote in message
"Richard" wrote in message
| I was looking on the Al-Ko web site for some information and came across
| this snip in their FAQ page,
|
| ''Standard AL-KO Chassis use M12 Wheel Bolts and these MUST always be
| tightened to 88 Nm (65 lbs/ft), in sequence (ie, North, South, East,

West)
| NEVER clockwise or anti-clockwise. Always use a calibrated torque wrench
| like the AL-KO Torque Wrench (see our Mail Order Section).
|
| REMEMBER it is as dangerous to over-tighten wheel bolts as it is to
| under-tighten them. Torque settings should be rechecked after 50 Km!''
|
| I was amazed ..... surely 50Km can't be correct .... anyone any ideas?
|
| If the foregoing is wrong what is the normal recommendation?
|
| Richard

Hi Richard,

It is best to check each time you take your Caravan out check that your
wheels are torque up to 65 lbs/ft,
And if you have your wheels off do them up about 3 to 4 time,
I do not why caravan wheels keep coming loess from time to time?,
But its all was best to check them before you take the caravan out.
Hope this is off help to you.

John
slnc
www.slnc.btinternet.co.uk
A Member of:-
C & C.C and C.C
K.I.O.T.R.C
It was my Spel Checker that check it not me?,

The suggested torque of 65 ft/lbs may be typical for steel wheels, but
plenty of new vans now have alloys. These, as with cars, require a higher
torque, usually around the 90ft/lbs mark.
Chris