Legacy auto towcar

Old February 9th 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff

Default Legacy auto towcar

I've seen a Subaru Legacy Outback for sale at a good price. Only problem may
be that it is an automatic. Van weight would be less than 60% of the Kerb
weight, and about the same % of the max permitted weight for a braked
trailer. Any thoughts about towing with an automatic, or Subaru in general?

Thanks
Geoff

Old February 9th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Geoff posted ...

I've seen a Subaru Legacy Outback for sale at a good price. Only
problem may be that it is an automatic. Van weight would be less than
60% of the Kerb weight, and about the same % of the max permitted
weight for a braked trailer. Any thoughts about towing with an
automatic, or Subaru in general?

A most excellent car ..

We eventually chose a Land Rover Discovery, but that was 'cos of other
considerations too, like seven seats for the family, and was an extremely
close decision. We researched the Outback quite a lot and could find no
real inherent faults with it, whether manual or automatic. It was also a
very comfortable, fast, smooth and 'easy' drive.

--
Paul

Old February 9th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Xbase

I expect it will be fine

60% is pretty light.

Autos can make pretty good tow cars

Old February 10th 04, 03:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:19:58 -0000, "Geoff"
wrote:

I've seen a Subaru Legacy Outback for sale at a good price. Only problem may
be that it is an automatic. Van weight would be less than 60% of the Kerb
weight, and about the same % of the max permitted weight for a braked
trailer. Any thoughts about towing with an automatic, or Subaru in general?

You will have to replace the car's torque-converter (very, VERY
expensive) every 6,000 Miles if you try to tow anything approaching
that weight with an automatic vehicle.

Don't even consider it.

Pete.
Old February 10th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"Pete" wrote in message

You will have to replace the car's torque-converter (very, VERY
expensive) every 6,000 Miles if you try to tow anything approaching
that weight with an automatic vehicle.

Rubbish - Non-CVT autos tow better than manuals and don't have the problem
of burning out the clutch.

We tow at 85% with an auto and have had no problems whatever - including the
Alps and Pyrenees.

Budgie

Old February 10th 04, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff

Wow! Those last two responses have given me some alternatives to ponder!!
So now I'm left sitting on the fence....more opinions please.

Geoff

Old February 10th 04, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
john

"Geoff" wrote in message
news

Wow! Those last two responses have given me some alternatives to ponder!!
So now I'm left sitting on the fence....more opinions please.

Geoff

The one about the torque converter is either from a Troll (I think it must
be!) or from someone who knows nothing about modern autos. I have towed
85% - 95% with a variety of autos for years - much more relaxing towing. the
only thing you may need depending on the vehicle is an additional oil
cooler, fitted by a garage for about 85 - 125, or do your own for about
40.

Old February 10th 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ron Moss

"Geoff" wrote in message
I've seen a Subaru Legacy Outback for sale at a good price. Only problem

may
be that it is an automatic. Van weight would be less than 60% of the Kerb
weight, and about the same % of the max permitted weight for a braked
trailer. Any thoughts about towing with an automatic, or Subaru in

general?

Thanks
Geoff

Hi Geoff

I tow with a Legacy 2.5 Auto Saloon - have done for 18 months - and it's
just about the best towcar I've had.
For peace of mind fit a separate auto gearbox oil cooler (though I've only
once had a problem with gearboxes overheating and that was with a 2.9
Scorpio - and they were known for it!)
The security of 4 wheel drive (cutting in when required) and superb
roadholding, power and torque combined with legendary reliability makes it a
very satisfying car to drive.
Poppydog.

Old February 10th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

wrote:

I've seen a Subaru Legacy Outback for sale at a good price. Only problem may
be that it is an automatic. Van weight would be less than 60% of the Kerb
weight, and about the same % of the max permitted weight for a braked
trailer. Any thoughts about towing with an automatic, or Subaru in general?

Thanks
Geoff

Subaru's have a very good name as tow cars and generally autos make
far better tow cars.
I tow with a Sedona auto with the van weighing in at about 70 - 75%, I
would never go back to towing with a manual box.

Lenny
Old February 10th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

I've seen a Subaru Legacy Outback for sale at a good price. Only problem may
be that it is an automatic. Van weight would be less than 60% of the Kerb
weight, and about the same % of the max permitted weight for a braked
trailer. Any thoughts about towing with an automatic, or Subaru in general?

You will have to replace the car's torque-converter (very, VERY
expensive) every 6,000 Miles if you try to tow anything approaching
that weight with an automatic vehicle.

Don't even consider it.

Pete.

CC recomend towing with an auto, mind you when I tried it I was not
impressed and went back to a manual. The above information is a load
of rubbish I know of many friends who tow with auto boxes who have had
no problems at all over extended periods of towing.

(remove the spam to reply)