LR Defender110 for caravan towing

Old February 10th 04, 01:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

Default LR Defender110 for caravan towing

Hi all

Having recently had a LWB Shogun 2.8 knicked I am starting to look for a
replacement towing vehicle.
I am considering a Defender 110 Station Wagon and would appreciate any
feedback that anyone can give me with regards to towing large caravans (Mine
is a Swift 640 Conqueror).

My reasons for the consideration a
Large Boot/storage space for dog, gas bottles camping gear etc.
4 seater +
Towing capacity (1600kg mglw)

I appreciate that the defender hasn't got the refinement/luxuries of the
Discos & Range Rovers,
but size of boot rules out the Disco & cash supply solves the Range Rover
option.

Can anyone tell me what the likelyhood is of having a Defender knicked as
opposed to the more "fashionable" targets.

TIA
Ian
Antispam applied

Old February 10th 04, 04:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:20:57 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

Hi all

Having recently had a LWB Shogun 2.8 knicked I am starting to look for a
replacement towing vehicle.

By any chance, did you recently post details of the vehicle to this
newsgroup?

Many, many vehicle & van thieves lurk here in the hope of gathering
information on potential targets.

I am considering a Defender 110 Station Wagon and would appreciate any
feedback that anyone can give me with regards to towing large caravans (Mine
is a Swift 640 Conqueror).

Personally, I don't think it would be at all suitable.

Can anyone tell me what the likelyhood is of having a Defender knicked as
opposed to the more "fashionable" targets.

There is a VERY high likelyhood of it being stolen if you post any
traceable details to this newsgroup.

Pete.
Old February 10th 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Domingo

"The Most Rev. Peter Parsnip" wrote in message
s.com...
The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Pete, and
I thusly replied:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 02:20:57 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

Hi all

Having recently had a LWB Shogun 2.8 knicked I am starting to look for a
replacement towing vehicle.

By any chance, did you recently post details of the vehicle to this
newsgroup?

Many, many vehicle & van thieves lurk here in the hope of gathering
information on potential targets.

I am considering a Defender 110 Station Wagon and would appreciate any
feedback that anyone can give me with regards to towing large caravans
(Mine is a Swift 640 Conqueror).

Personally, I don't think it would be at all suitable.

Can anyone tell me what the likelyhood is of having a Defender knicked
as opposed to the more "fashionable" targets.

There is a VERY high likelyhood of it being stolen if you post any
traceable details to this newsgroup.

It's true. Someone stole my vicarage!

----

No! - it was carefully explained to you at the time, by your Bishop!

The people who were housed in your former home are called ' Asylum
Seekers' - anyone would think that you didn't want to do your bit to help
them!

What a whining NIMFOGR ('not in my fine old Georgian rectory') you
are!.......

Old February 10th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Ian
writes
Hi all

Having recently had a LWB Shogun 2.8 knicked I am starting to look for a
replacement towing vehicle.
I am considering a Defender 110 Station Wagon and would appreciate any
feedback that anyone can give me with regards to towing large caravans (Mine
is a Swift 640 Conqueror).

My reasons for the consideration a
Large Boot/storage space for dog, gas bottles camping gear etc.
4 seater +
Towing capacity (1600kg mglw)

Certainly meets all those requirements
I appreciate that the defender hasn't got the refinement/luxuries of the
Discos & Range Rovers,
but size of boot rules out the Disco & cash supply solves the Range Rover
option.

Boot space in RR isn't all that great with rear seats in use.
Can anyone tell me what the likelyhood is of having a Defender knicked as
opposed to the more "fashionable" targets.

Impossible to say. Certainly they are targeted because they are easily
broken down into parts. As with any other vehicle fit a good quality
anti-theft system and a Tracker.

I run a V8 90 (on LPG) towing a twin axle, no problems.

TIA
Ian

--
hugh
Old February 10th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Pete
writes
I am considering a Defender 110 Station Wagon and would appreciate any
feedback that anyone can give me with regards to towing large caravans (Mine
is a Swift 640 Conqueror).

Personally, I don't think it would be at all suitable.

Snip
Y not?
--
hugh
Old February 11th 04, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian

Cheers Hugh

I was planning on removing the rear seats to optimise the load space,
keeping the front 2 rows.
A LPG conversion would be a possible option though they seem to be less
numerous.

Alarm & Immobiliser is a priority along with other visible deterrents. I saw
a large metal box that fitted over the pedals, some years ago and though
about one of those. Also looking into DIY tracker (though police said they
*may* not be able to trace it)

I posted similar on landrover newsgroup and got similar comment to yours,
with a few saying they wouldn't mind a bit more "uphill power".

Ian

Old February 11th 04, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

Could it have been Ian who typed:

|| Cheers Hugh
|| I was planning on removing the rear seats to optimise the load space,
|| keeping the front 2 rows.
|| A LPG conversion would be a possible option though they seem to be
|| less numerous.
|| Alarm & Immobiliser is a priority along with other visible
|| deterrents. I saw a large metal box that fitted over the pedals,
|| some years ago and though about one of those. Also looking into DIY
|| tracker (though police said they *may* not be able to trace it)
|| I posted similar on landrover newsgroup and got similar comment to
|| yours, with a few saying they wouldn't mind a bit more "uphill
|| power".
|| Ian

They do make good load luggers and tow-vehicles if not the quietest or most
comfertable vehicles in the world!, one thing I remember from a few years
ago because they are 10 seaters in standard trim if you go abroad they need
a tacho and a different licence, that could have changed with euro
legislation (or got worse).
That was in an old 108 safari diesel ! and that was was certainly not
comfortable nor quiet.......or fast.....
Des

---

Old February 11th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Des
writes
Could it have been Ian who typed:

|| Cheers Hugh
|| I was planning on removing the rear seats to optimise the load space,
|| keeping the front 2 rows.
|| A LPG conversion would be a possible option though they seem to be
|| less numerous.
|| Alarm & Immobiliser is a priority along with other visible
|| deterrents. I saw a large metal box that fitted over the pedals,
|| some years ago and though about one of those. Also looking into DIY
|| tracker (though police said they *may* not be able to trace it)
|| I posted similar on landrover newsgroup and got similar comment to
|| yours, with a few saying they wouldn't mind a bit more "uphill
|| power".
|| Ian

They do make good load luggers and tow-vehicles if not the quietest or most
comfertable vehicles in the world!, one thing I remember from a few years
ago because they are 10 seaters in standard trim if you go abroad they need
a tacho and a different licence, that could have changed with euro
legislation (or got worse).
That was in an old 108 safari diesel ! and that was was certainly not
comfortable nor quiet.......or fast.....
Des

Err do you mean 109 ??? The 110's are much better and the tdi engines
are also a big improvement esp the TD5
--
hugh
Old February 11th 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Des

Could it have been hugh who typed:

|| In message , Des
|| writes
||| Could it have been Ian who typed:
||| They do make good load luggers and tow-vehicles if not the quietest
||| or most comfertable vehicles in the world!, one thing I remember
||| from a few years ago because they are 10 seaters in standard trim
||| if you go abroad they need a tacho and a different licence, that
||| could have changed with euro legislation (or got worse).
||| That was in an old 108 safari diesel ! and that was was certainly
||| not comfortable nor quiet.......or fast.....
||| Des
|| Err do you mean 109 ??? The 110's are much better and the tdi engines
|| are also a big improvement esp the TD5

oops! keyboard not behaving itself, reminds me of trying to book a Range
Rover on a calmac ferry, was asked short or long wheelbase!!
and yes I know they made extended versions!!
The modern engine are a quantum leap in refinement and performance, mind you
I had a S3 swb with a perkins(mazda) 4.154 and that was an excellent engine
powerful, economical and quiet, towed well (power not comfort!!)

---