Suitable Roads

Old February 12th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
V.L.K

Default Suitable Roads

How do I find out if a road is suitable to travel on with a caravan. I want
to travel this summer past the Little St Bernard Pass between France and
Italy. Does anyone know this road?

Regards

Vaughn

Old February 12th 04, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MikeE

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:52:26 +0000, V.L.K wrote:

How do I find out if a road is suitable to travel on with a caravan. I
want to travel this summer past the Little St Bernard Pass between
France and Italy. Does anyone know this road?

Regards

Vaughn

The Caravan Club's "Caravan Europe 1" is useful, for the Petit St Bernard
it says:

max gradient 1 in 12; usually closed mid-Oct to June, minimum road width
5m, fairly easy approach from France, poor surface and unguarded broken
edges near summit, good on descent in Italy; BUT - closed to vehicles
towing another vehicle.

So I guess you're out of luck with a caravan.

Mike
Old February 14th 04, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

"MikeE" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:52:26 +0000, V.L.K wrote:

How do I find out if a road is suitable to travel on with a caravan. I
want to travel this summer past the Little St Bernard Pass between
France and Italy. Does anyone know this road?

Regards

Vaughn

The Caravan Club's "Caravan Europe 1" is useful, for the Petit St Bernard
it says:

max gradient 1 in 12; usually closed mid-Oct to June, minimum road width
5m, fairly easy approach from France, poor surface and unguarded broken
edges near summit, good on descent in Italy; BUT - closed to vehicles
towing another vehicle.

So I guess you're out of luck with a caravan.

Mike

In my and DVLC opinion, a caravan is not a vehicle. "Caravan Europe"
states: "caravans prohibited" when this is the case.

Paul

Old February 14th 04, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
MikeE

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:45:53 +0000, ZZhivago wrote:

"MikeE" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:52:26 +0000, V.L.K wrote:

....snip

In my and DVLC opinion, a caravan is not a vehicle.

Good point, but I'm not sure how much weight DVLC opinion carries with the
French or Italian authorities. This is why I posted the quote and my
"guess" - so Vaughn could make his own decision. The Collins English
Dictionary BTW does define a caravan as a vehicle g

Mike
Old February 15th 04, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

Caravan Europe uses the term "caravans prohibited" for many of these passes.
My interpretation explains the use of separate terms.

Paul

"MikeE" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:45:53 +0000, ZZhivago wrote:

"MikeE" wrote in message
news

...snip