Moderatd site

Old February 13th 04, 05:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Moderatd site

Is this going ro be a goer? My blocked senders' list is reaching biblical
proportions.

Jim

Old February 13th 04, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Jim" wrote in message
Is this going ro be a goer? My blocked senders' list is reaching biblical
proportions.

Jim

I dont think there is a limit, and besides Why should we be driven out from
our own group?

We need to continue to post topical carvanning issues here and filter the
crap from the others. If no one users this group for caravanning issues
then it will just cease on its own!

Kind Regards

Mike

Old February 13th 04, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"Mike R" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
Is this going ro be a goer? My blocked senders' list is reaching

biblical
proportions.

Jim

I dont think there is a limit, and besides Why should we be driven out

from
our own group?

We need to continue to post topical carvanning issues here and filter the
crap from the others. If no one users this group for caravanning issues
then it will just cease on its own!

Kind Regards

Mike

Yes, that is as maybe. But I am really getting fed up with the foul
language on what should be a family group. The continued changes of the
names used by the trolls means when I have been away for just a few days I
have to troll (Sorry no pun meant) through the postings to eliminate all
those which are obviously irrelevant.

I cannot understand the warped intentions of those who spend their time
gaining enjoyment from spoiling that of others. If we can migrate to a site
which allows us to continue to discuss our hobby then we are no more running
away than the Pilgrim Fathers did when they left England to settle in the
New World.

Old February 13th 04, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
warick_hunt

"Jim" wrote in message
news
Yes, that is as maybe. But I am really getting fed up with the foul
language on what should be a family group. The continued changes of the
names used by the trolls means when I have been away for just a few days I
have to troll (Sorry no pun meant) through the postings to eliminate all
those which are obviously irrelevant.

I cannot understand the warped intentions of those who spend their time
gaining enjoyment from spoiling that of others. If we can migrate to a

site
which allows us to continue to discuss our hobby then we are no more

running
away than the Pilgrim Fathers did when they left England to settle in the
New World.

But wouldn't that mean we were giving in to oppression? Bowing to those who
need to get a life beyond a computer screen? Jumping like rats off a sinking
ship?

I feel sad for the trolls as they clearly haven't got any worth in their
lives given the amount of time they dedicate to spoiling NG's for others.
What they need is a good woman in their life..... either that or to go and
discover cheap beer in the Students Union bar. Or perhaphs they aren't like
real men and inadequate in some way.

w.

Old February 13th 04, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

"Jim" wrote in message
news

"Mike R" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I do have to agee with you on this. Sadly they appear to have a foot
hold here.

I think the problem with setting up a moderated group is the time it takes
to get it going and keep it going. It really needs a "team" to run it and
it not to be too heavily moderated.

i.e

1. No cross posting outside agreed named groups i.e motorcaravans and
carvanning - possible camping.
2. No foul or abusive language
etc...

The above should be easy to filter automatically with some software.....

This site http://www.usenet.org.uk explains all

All we need is backing and people with time to set it up

Kind Regards

Mike

Old February 13th 04, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:40:23 -0000, "warick_hunt"
wrote:

| I feel sad for the trolls as they clearly haven't got any worth in their
| lives given the amount of time they dedicate to spoiling NG's for others.

| go and
| discover cheap beer in the Students Union bar. Or perhaphs they aren't like
| real men and inadequate in some way.

They are too young to be admitted to bars, please do not encourage illegal
acts.

Dave F

Old February 13th 04, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Jim" wrote in message
news
Snip snip

Yes, that is as maybe. But I am really getting fed up with the foul
language on what should be a family group. The continued changes of the
names used by the trolls means when I have been away for just a few days I
have to troll (Sorry no pun meant) through the postings to eliminate all
those which are obviously irrelevant.

I cannot understand the warped intentions of those who spend their time
gaining enjoyment from spoiling that of others. If we can migrate to a

site
which allows us to continue to discuss our hobby then we are no more

running
away than the Pilgrim Fathers did when they left England to settle in the
New World.

Jim,
I do tend to agree with you. I really resent the filth and rubbish that
that I am forced to see invading my home. In the past I have recommended
this NG to almost every caravanner I meet but just imagine the impression
that would be created to a person logging on for the first time. They would
think we were all a bunch of perverts, mentally deranged and idiots.
Although I know the simple answer is to unsubscribe and there are several
other moderated caravanning forums that we could use, I also resent be
driven off. This NG has been a great pleasure to my family for a number of
years, so at the moment I think will continue with the gigantic 'blocked
senders' list and just hope we can bore the vandals to death. They make lots
of jokes about 'netkops' but it is easy to see how society can break down
without some form of law enforcement. If they behaved like they do here on
the streets they would be locked up. There are always people who take
advantage of liberty to ruin the lives of others, and I only hope that one
day the technology will be there to strip away their anonymity. Perhaps
there already is but I do not know how to do it.
The van goes in for its annual warrantee service in a couple of weeks and
then we shall be making plans for the next trip to France. We are booked on
the ferry from Portsmouth on 24th May and will be away for five weeks. Have
not yet decided where to go but there again we just usually follow our noses
and generally end up somewhere very nice.

Keep posting Jim.
Regards.
Dave Dew

Old February 13th 04, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike R

[snip]
The van goes in for its annual warrantee service in a couple of weeks and
then we shall be making plans for the next trip to France. We are booked

on
the ferry from Portsmouth on 24th May and will be away for five weeks.

Have
not yet decided where to go but there again we just usually follow our

noses
and generally end up somewhere very nice.

Keep posting Jim.
Regards.
Dave Dew

Dave

Please let us know how your trip goes, It would be great to see a report on
this NG. I have alway enjoyed France for camping and - As a new caravanner
I have yet to venture there with our van.

Kind Regards

Mike

Old February 13th 04, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian D

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 08:49:02 -0000, "Mike R"
wrote:

1. No cross posting outside agreed named groups i.e motorcaravans and
carvanning - possible camping.

No problem with doing that.

2. No foul or abusive language
etc...

Not a hope in hell. Any moderation process which would stop that would
require 'moderation on content', which as things stand is explicitly
ruled out in the uk.* heirarchy.
If you go along that line then you'd have to set the group up in
another heirarchy, with all the drawbacks that entails.

The above should be easy to filter automatically with some software.....

Not unless the software scanned each message body for banned words or
phrases.
As I said, the rules eliminate that one, in uk.* anyway, and in any
case it would impose too many delays.

Cheers
Ian D
Old February 13th 04, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Default Re-making an awning, was Moderatd site

"Mike R" wrote in message
Please let us know how your trip goes, It would be great to see a report

on
this NG. I have alway enjoyed France for camping and - As a new

caravanner
I have yet to venture there with our van.

I'm never likely to go to France with or without the 'van but it's always
good to hear others' experiences.

We're off to Wales next week, not with a 'van but we'll stay in our little
van while there, it now lives permanently on a daughter's farm.

It's a 10' Sprite 400 (I think) which we gutted and re-designed and
re-built. We obtained (through this group) an awning but when we put it up
we found that it was only about 4' deep. That's not big enough for a table
and chairs, which we like to have when entertaining.

So Spouse has made a larger one smaller (also obtained through this group!).
If anyone's interested I'll let you know how it goes. The alteration is far
greater than the commercial people are prepared to do but we've had this
experience before.

Nevertheless we'll be putting it up with great difficult (crossed fingers
don't make for ease). And we're taking the too-small one with us, just in
case ...

Mary

Kind Regards

Mike