Amphibious Caravans

Old February 13th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Default Amphibious Caravans

Mike wrote:

Is there a caravan than can be towed by car or boat?

There used to be! I saw one in a boatyard in Cornwall many years ago. It was
a cross between a caravan and a boat - and would allegedly float (I saw it
out of the water!) and could be towed on the road. I think it had its own
propulsion system for marine use rather than needing to be towed by another
boat.

I've no idea who made it, or how many were made.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old February 13th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Hitch Lock" wrote in
:

There used to be! I saw one in a boatyard in Cornwall many years ago.
It was a cross between a caravan and a boat - and would allegedly
float (I saw it out of the water!) and could be towed on the road. I
think it had its own propulsion system for marine use rather than
needing to be towed by another boat.

I've no idea who made it, or how many were made.

According to a Discovery Channel program about transport that didn't quite
make it, the Amphicar -- an amphibious car along the lines of the Dutton
but based on the Triumph Herald chassis -- could tow a specially-designed
caravan. The caravan could be converted quickly to a house-boat, which the
amphicar towed with a rope bridle when afloat.

That said, I don't think they sold many!

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old February 17th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John B

There was an amphibious caravan made, the Caracraft, made in Ireland. I
believe only eight were made and a friend of mine has one. He sometimes has
it on the Lancaster canal where there was another one recently. There was
also an article on the craft in Practical Caravan (I think) about two years
ago. It is a very interesting bit of kit. I might try to post a photo
sometime.

John B

--
Remove nospam from email address to reply
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"Hitch Lock" wrote in
:

There used to be! I saw one in a boatyard in Cornwall many years ago.
It was a cross between a caravan and a boat - and would allegedly
float (I saw it out of the water!) and could be towed on the road. I
think it had its own propulsion system for marine use rather than
needing to be towed by another boat.

I've no idea who made it, or how many were made.

According to a Discovery Channel program about transport that didn't quite
make it, the Amphicar -- an amphibious car along the lines of the Dutton
but based on the Triumph Herald chassis -- could tow a specially-designed
caravan. The caravan could be converted quickly to a house-boat, which the
amphicar towed with a rope bridle when afloat.

That said, I don't think they sold many!

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

---

Old February 17th 04, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DC

Amphibious caravans were built by a company in Nelson Lancs during the '70s
and ceased trading .
The company was very close to Reedyford Memorial Hospital and backed onto
the Leeds and Liverpool canal off Regent Street Nelson it was very close to
what is now junction 13 on the M65

Cheers

DeeSee

"John B" wrote in message
There was an amphibious caravan made, the Caracraft, made in Ireland. I
believe only eight were made and a friend of mine has one. He sometimes

has
it on the Lancaster canal where there was another one recently. There was
also an article on the craft in Practical Caravan (I think) about two

years
ago. It is a very interesting bit of kit. I might try to post a photo
sometime.

John B

--
Remove nospam from email address to reply
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
"Hitch Lock" wrote in
: