Best caravan for zero damp

Old February 15th 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Murphy

Default Best caravan for zero damp

My ancient swift rapide is now nearing the end of it's life, killed by the
insidious creeping damp - why oh why even today do they rely on sealant to
keep the water out, instead of designing them differently?

So I'm looking for a S/H van, shipping length about 17 foot (I have to park
it"

Checking for damp is of course as we know difficult - but there must be some
vans out there that a less prone to it than others!

Experiences please?

I've also looked at a couple of Avondale Mayflys - they seem to be well-made
and from the looks of them might be more damp resistant than most-- again
any experiences?

And how can you detect damp without a damp detector (mine makes little holes
in the walls for the prongs!)

Many thanks - RM

Old February 15th 04, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:37:39 -0000, "Richard Murphy"
wrote:

Checking for damp is of course as we know difficult - but there must be some
vans out there that a less prone to it than others!

German ones

Lenny
Old February 15th 04, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GrahamW

Richard Murphy wrote:
Snip
Checking for damp is of course as we know difficult - but there must
be some vans out there that a less prone to it than others!

Snip

And how can you detect damp without a damp detector (mine makes
little holes in the walls for the prongs!)

Many thanks - RM

As Lenny has said, the German 'vans do seem to be less prone to damp.
Hymer especially use a different construction method which would almost
guarantee no water ingress.
Hobbys also have a good reputation.
As to detecting damp, use your sense of smell. Open all the cupboards and
lockers and have a good sniff.
If it smells musty it's damp.
If the caravans doors and windows are open when you arrive to see it, it's
damp and the owners are trying to dispell the musty smell.
If you can smell air-freshener, the 'van is damp (see above).
Check the grab handles at each corner. If they're loose at all it's likely
the corners are damp and the wood is going rotten.

Be careful out there. Caveat emptor.
Graham

Old February 15th 04, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lex M

"Richard Murphy" wrote in
:

http://members.home.nl/l.h.meuldijk/...lish/index.htm

--
Regards, Lex
http://biod.net
Old February 15th 04, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Guest

Not all German Ones, Not all British Ones. this question comes up many times
and one gets the same old results.

Look how many German vans they are in the UK against the rest of the other
Manufacturers and you have your answer.

Old February 15th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Murphy

aha - but who stocks them?

"Lex M" wrote in message
"Richard Murphy" wrote in
:

Old February 15th 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:30:39 -0000, Chuck wrote:

Not all German Ones, Not all British Ones. this question comes up many times
and one gets the same old results.

Look how many German vans they are in the UK against the rest of the other
Manufacturers and you have your answer.

The Hymer vans do have an advantage in that they have no wooden frame
to rot and a completely waterproof and rot proof barrier between the
outer aluminium and the inner exterior quality board. If any water
does get trough a screw hole there it will stay doing no harm there is
nowhere for it to go.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old February 15th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lex M

"Richard Murphy" wrote in
:

aha - but who stocks them?

Dealers or factory in Holland.
Like people who buy their van in Germany, you can buy a van in Holland. A
(now) friend of mine from Nottingham did it.
He bought a (used) BIOD in Holland, attached a number plate to it and towed
the van to Nottingham. He is still very happy with his 420T.
It can be serviced by any decent caravan dealer.
No damp testing necessary. :-)

--
Regards, Lex
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old February 15th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Guest

If any water
does get trough a screw hole there it will stay doing no harm there is
nowhere for it to go.

That's it bill no nowhere for it to go except build up, I spoke to a
Lowdhams caravan mechanic last month as he had had to put a new front end on
a hymer because of an accident etc, he told me about five pints of water
came running out of the offside wall panel when he and his workmates lifted
the front end off. He did point out that no damage would have accured even
12 month later until the build up of water reached the inner window frame.
He said he would not buy one. So there you go there is a downside to
everything. I have also been speaking to a Vanmaster salesman at the NEC he
sells me they have a lifetime Guarantee on water ingress.

I don't think you can beat the mastic way of doing things.

Old February 15th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Guest

They are the most ugliest looking caravan I have seen

"Lex M" wrote in message
"Richard Murphy" wrote in
: