Moving Caravan by Electric Motor?

Old February 16th 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BoB-B

Default Moving Caravan by Electric Motor?

I understand there is some sort of 'Caddy' (for want of a better word) that
you can connect upto a caravans towbar and by battery power move said
caravan around. Can anyone supply with me web sites where I can get hold of
one please?

Bob

Old February 16th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

BoB-B posted ...

http://www.powrwheel.com/

--
Paul

Old February 16th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , BoB-B
muttered:
I understand there is some sort of 'Caddy' (for want of a better word) that
you can connect upto a caravans towbar and by battery power move said
caravan around. Can anyone supply with me web sites where I can get hold of
one please?

You're talking about a "mover". There are various ones available, but
they are quite expensive (~600+?). Truma make one, another make is
Reich. Both of these are fitted to the 'van underneath, then your 'van
can be manoeuvred using a control similar to a tv remote!

There are others that attach to the hitch, as you suggest - but for me
the ones you fit to the underside of the 'van are much better. The
underside ones are a permanent fixture.

Link (hastily found):

http://www.trumauk.com/mover.htm

Hope this helps!
--
Andy
Old February 17th 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"andy" wrote in message
In message , BoB-B
muttered:
[...]

Does anyone know how many amps the motors use for average usage.
As I'm interested in getting one these movers (the German one is favourite
at this moment). I have a two 70amperhour batteries I'm wondering if this is
enough.

I have plans to stow the extra battery, behind the passenger seat in a
strong plastic covered box, moving the seat back to hold it up against the
rear seat. Connecting a cable to this battery from the charging circuit to
the van's battery. I use this arrangement, without the charging circuit, to
transport the spare battery in a Sainsbury plastic box, they used to sell,
to my van and change over from the one in the van every month or so, because
I have an alarm fitted and so keep a fully charged battery on the van.
I know many people used to do this keeping the battery in a box in the boot.
If I ]kept it in the boot of my estate it would have to be against the rear
of the rear seats and would be inconvenient to remove to swap over with the
one on the van. Any ideas or thoughts.
MikeS

Old February 17th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HN

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:05:11 -0000, "BoB-B"
wrote:

I understand there is some sort of 'Caddy' (for want of a better word) that
you can connect upto a caravans towbar and by battery power move said
caravan around. Can anyone supply with me web sites where I can get hold of
one please?

Bob

Hi

From your description, you are referring to a Shifta or similar.

I don't have a URL to hand but I would STRONGLY recommend that you do
not buy one without trying it out first on your caravan, in your own
circumstances.

I had the opportunity to buy one of these 2nd hand. The chap selling
it suggested I try it first - VERY glad I did, it was hopeless
compared to the old solid tyred Motor Mover ET(powered jockey wheel)
I've been using. It would not move my 'van at all.

Please try before you buy!

Neil

Old February 18th 04, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Mike" wrote in message

"andy" wrote in message
In message , BoB-B
muttered:
[...]

30A max ...... but _normally_ you are not using the mover for too long.
However, most seem to advise you upgrade the caravan battery to 110Ah when
you fit this type of system.

HTH ..... Richard

Old February 18th 04, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Bradbury

In message , HN
writes
wrote:

I understand there is some sort of 'Caddy' (for want of a better word) that
you can connect upto a caravans towbar and by battery power move said
caravan around. Can anyone supply with me web sites where I can get hold of
one please?

Bob

Hi

From your description, you are referring to a Shifta or similar.

I don't have a URL to hand but I would STRONGLY recommend that you do
not buy one without trying it out first on your caravan, in your own
circumstances.

I had the opportunity to buy one of these 2nd hand. The chap selling
it suggested I try it first - VERY glad I did, it was hopeless
compared to the old solid tyred Motor Mover ET(powered jockey wheel)
I've been using. It would not move my 'van at all.

Please try before you buy!

Neil

Had a "Motormover" on the old caravan and found it would struggle for
grip unless you sat on the towbar to give additional nose weight.

These cost around 600 if I remember right - the new type - Reich etc -
around 1000. The benefit is well worth the additional facilities
--
John Bradbury
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old February 27th 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HN

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:55:07 +0000, John Bradbury
wrote:

Had a "Motormover" on the old caravan and found it would struggle for
grip unless you sat on the towbar to give additional nose weight.

These cost around 600 if I remember right - the new type - Reich etc -
around 1000. The benefit is well worth the additional facilities

I know they're not cheap now, but I paid about 120 for mine
second-hand from a dealer on the understanding I could have my money
back if it wasn't satisfactory.

OK, so to get enough traction, I do have to put a bit of extra weight
on the A frame in the form of the enormously heavy battery I use to
power it. But it makes moving the 'van about on the drive a lot
easier.

The tyre on mine is somewhat smaller now than it was new, so I guess I
will be getting a replacement wheel and drive gear in the
not-to-distant future. They do an exchange service for about 30,
which doesn't seem too dear.

I personally could not justify the cost of a fitted mover on my
smallish 'van

Neil