Sites in France

« - | - »

Old February 17th 04, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
paul

Default Sites in France

Dear Caravanners

My wife and I are traveling down to Spain (Barcelona) in Late July. Our
intention is to cross from Dover to Calais and travel through France taking
four days (3 overnight stops) to get there and the same coming back. The
whole holiday will take 3 weeks giving us about 2 weeks in Spain. Can
anybody recommend some reasonable stopover sites in France and a site near
Barcelona for our 2 week stop? I have travelled through France before so I
have a little insight into the general road rules and regulations but I
haven't been to Spain before so any tips would be much appreciated
Many thanks in anticipation.

Paul and Judy

Old February 17th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:02:34 -0000, "paul"
wrote:

Dear Caravanners

My wife and I are traveling down to Spain (Barcelona) in Late July. Our
intention is to cross from Dover to Calais and travel through France taking
four days (3 overnight stops) to get there and the same coming back. The
whole holiday will take 3 weeks giving us about 2 weeks in Spain. Can
anybody recommend some reasonable stopover sites in France and a site near
Barcelona for our 2 week stop? I have travelled through France before so I
have a little insight into the general road rules and regulations but I
haven't been to Spain before so any tips would be much appreciated
Many thanks in anticipation.

Paul and Judy

No problems driving in spain with a van, motoways cheaper than France
& they don't charge extra for the van.
The couple of times we have been we have driven down via the Pyrenees,
good Municipal site at Bourg Madame right on the border.
the N20/A20 is good route down, from just south of Orleans to Brive
its free.

How close to Barcelona do you want to be, we've stayed at Stiges about
½hr drive south, 3 camp sites there one in the town & 2 on the coast
about a 1 - 2 miles south, all about £25 a night.
If you are going into Barcelona from the south you car park in the
roads behind the Olympic Stadium for free & get the cable car (part of
the Metro System) to the Metro Station.

Lenny

Old February 17th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"paul" wrote in message
Dear Caravanners

My wife and I are traveling down to Spain (Barcelona) in Late July. Our
intention is to cross from Dover to Calais and travel through France

taking
four days (3 overnight stops) to get there and the same coming back. The
whole holiday will take 3 weeks giving us about 2 weeks in Spain. Can
anybody recommend some reasonable stopover sites in France and a site near
Barcelona for our 2 week stop? I have travelled through France before so I
have a little insight into the general road rules and regulations but I
haven't been to Spain before so any tips would be much appreciated
Many thanks in anticipation.

Paul and Judy

Have a look at my website under Travels in Europe and follow link to 'The
Route South' this lists all the campsites, with reports, that we have stayed
at over the years on the way down to the Med. On the links page is Leo's
interesting site which lists dozens of sites not far from the Autoroute. We
regularly take a 3 week holiday each year and it is plenty of time to get to
where you are going. Its a long time since I have been to Spain but
Barcelona is a lovely place.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old February 18th 04, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

haven't been to Spain before so any tips would be much appreciated
Many thanks in anticipation.

Diesel fuel in Spain is a bit cheaper than France. Travel across channel
with almost empty tank and fill up in Calais. Intermarche, Le Clerc and Atac
for best fuel prices.
Same advice for when you cross border into Spain. No point in shopping
around for cheapest fuel in Spain, the price is fixed by the government.
You need two emergency warning triangles for Spain, and a reflective jacket.
The price for this kit increases proportionately the closer to the Spanish
border you get.
Bikes can be carried on the car but if on a rear frame it mustn't be part of
the tow bar (says the latest Caravan Club advice).
Unlike France, there are no farm cl type or municipal sites in Spain. All
are commercial afaik.
In France, the further south and closer to the Med you travel you won't find
municipals either. July and August expect to pay about £20 a night on the
mediterranean beach sites.
Autoroute tolls are about the same in France and Spain. Car & caravan-Class
2, about tenpence a mile. At 30mpg makes a gallon of diesel equal to £5.50
instead of £2.25. I use toll roads from Calais to south of Paris then
national routes as far as possible.
CampingGaz refills are cheaper in Spain. So is wine, food, eating out. Shop
at Lidle, Aldi, Capobrabo. Intermarche too-they now have stores in Spain and
are cheaper than they charge for the same goods a few miles away in France.
First camp site in Spain, we quite like International Amberes at
Ampuriabrava near Figueres. Costa Brava-Bay of Roses.
Big site, very well managed, good security, 50 metre swimming pool and
access directly onto the beach. Lots to do and see in the region.
Have a good trip.
DaveK.

« - | - »