Hymer at NEC

Old February 20th 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Default Hymer at NEC

I looked at the Hymers for the 4th year running the 470 end bathroom still
have the oven at stoop level.

The drop down door above it about 6 inches deep houses the gas turn of taps
could have been a good cutlery draw. I pointed this out for the third year
running to a salesman to whom I suggested that they could have sited them
underneath the oven or the side in the long cupboard that houses the drying
cloths drying rack. He replied its for heath and safety they have to be
there because one would have to get to them quickly. I noted on a two berth
end kitchen model they had housed the gas shut of taps there I had
suggested. So how is it health and safety rules change between models?!

He went on to say that Hymer would not make any concessions to the kitchen
and wont put the taps elsewhere and have made provision for cutlery storage
in an alcove where the jumble of cutlery would be on permanent display and
need packing away whilst in the move, otherwise one may find the carving
knife stickup from the floor on arrival at one destination, I also noted,
that this cutlery holder could not be removed for cleaning, so much for
hygiene! But you can get to the gas shut of taps quickly them if the oven
caught fire buy turning of the gas taps with flames licking around you
hands!

It is this and this alone, that has put me off purchasing a 470 Hymer for
the last 4 years. The Germans may be good at engineering but haven't a clue
how to sell to the Brits or are they just plain arrogant or are the Lowthams
the importers unable to communicate?
MikeS