Caravanning in France

Old February 20th 04, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave P

Default Caravanning in France

Hi
Were off to france in the summer but the ferry gets in about 4pm to
calais so I have a few questions for any experienced Caravanners out
there
1.Anybody know a good site so I can overnight somewere on the way to
paris or their a bouts----or whats it like to get going and find some
ware to pull over on the way down---I am looking to go to the loire
valley or some were not much further down than that
2.Whats the story on credit cards??? are they a problem??--I have
heard some stories that you need pin numbers or some thing when you go
for petrol and such
3.Anybody got a nice site recommendation-----Preferably quite---with
electric---nice loos and not to far for a walk into town
4. Its 10 years since we towed abroard so Any other tips we might need
i.e.What the speed limits are ---do I need anything for the healights
etc
Any help will be gratefully accepted
Regards
Dave P
Old February 20th 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jez Harper

"Dave P" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'll answer 2 and 4 and leave the others for someone else to recommend as
whenever I go (every year) I go to the Med.

Credit cards, shops, cashpoints, petrol stations are all fine, with one
exception which caught us out badly. Some petrol stations take credit cards
outside of normal operating hours. Our UK credit cards (with the exception
of the new Cahoot card) will not work in these pumps as they require the
electronic chip. We were lucky as a local allowed us to use his credit card.

Speed limits on the autoroutes are 130kmh in the dry, 110 kmh in the wet and
in areas of high cross winds. If you make sure your van is perfectly loaded
(as you should anyway) these speeds are not a problem.

Headlight adapters......hmmm, I expect this is going to be an argued (it
usually is). You MUST use beam benders if your headlights cannot be adjusted
to point the other way (like the 7 series BMW and a few others). There are
usually people who will say that as it is a short term trip (less than 3
months) then it is not a legal requirement, but for the cost and effort
involved, is it really worth the risk of dazzling someone and causing an
accident?

Have a good trip.

Cheers

Jez

Old February 20th 04, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Dave P" wrote in message
[...]

If you want to stay over night near Calais have a look on my web site where
there are a couple of site reports. I think Jez has answered most of your
other points and I agree with what he says about beam benders.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old February 20th 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

Credit cards, shops, cashpoints, petrol stations are all fine, with one
exception which caught us out badly. Some petrol stations take credit

cards
outside of normal operating hours. Our UK credit cards (with the exception
of the new Cahoot card) will not work in these pumps as they require the
electronic chip. We were lucky as a local allowed us to use his credit

card.

Cheers

Jez

You single out the new cahoot card as being capable of being used in petrol
pumps. Do you know this to be the case? It is my understanding that although
these cards are already moving over to the new chip and pin system, this
system will not be compatible with the 10 yr established French system until
this French system has been modified... later this year at the earliest.

Cheers Paul

Old February 21st 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
sewdaft

In article ,
says...

Thanks all for the advice
Will check out your site
Cheers
Dave
Old February 21st 04, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jez Harper

"ZZhivago" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

snip
You single out the new cahoot card as being capable of being used in

petrol
pumps. Do you know this to be the case? It is my understanding that

although
these cards are already moving over to the new chip and pin system, this
system will not be compatible with the 10 yr established French system

until
this French system has been modified... later this year at the earliest.

Cheers Paul

er, um, well, I, er.......hmmm, no, I do not know this to be the case, but I
was led to believe it was. I am riding over to France mid May to watch the
LeMans Motorcycle GP, so I can let the group know if the new Cahoot cards
work or not when I get back.

Cheers

Jez

Old February 22nd 04, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

"Jez Harper" wrote in message

"ZZhivago" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

snip
You single out the new cahoot card as being capable of being used in

petrol
pumps. Do you know this to be the case? It is my understanding that

although
these cards are already moving over to the new chip and pin system, this
system will not be compatible with the 10 yr established French system

until
this French system has been modified... later this year at the

earliest.

Cheers Paul

er, um, well, I, er.......hmmm, no, I do not know this to be the case, but

was led to believe it was. I am riding over to France mid May to watch the
LeMans Motorcycle GP, so I can let the group know if the new Cahoot cards
work or not when I get back.

Cheers

Jez

http://www.pinpad.co.uk/main_docs/PR...ardholders.pdf

is relevant and interesting

Paul

Old February 27th 04, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Al Stevenson

In message , Jez Harper
writes

"Dave P" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

You will also see on the autoroutes speed limit signs specially for
caravans on down gradients - a most excellent idea, as it reminds us of
our limits

Headlight adapters......hmmm, I expect this is going to be an argued (it
usually is). You MUST use beam benders if your headlights cannot be adjusted
to point the other way (like the 7 series BMW and a few others). There are
usually people who will say that as it is a short term trip (less than 3
months) then it is not a legal requirement, but for the cost and effort
involved, is it really worth the risk of dazzling someone and causing an
accident?

Have a good trip.

Cheers

Jez