Avoiding Trolls

Old February 20th 04, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Boss

Default Avoiding Trolls

After a long period when this NG was unusable due to troll activity,
which caused me to unsubscribe and resubscribe several times to see if
things had got better, I have now switched to the Gravity newsreader
whose easily set-up rules have allowed me to filter out the troll
postings. I would recommend it to anyone still having trouble reading
the group due to trolls. Nfilter/NewsProxy appears to be unobtainable
(well my browser can't find the webpage!) and other methods of filtering
messages seem quite complex, especially if you're not particularly
computer-savvy!I built my own PC last year, but I don't understand how
the filters in XNews are set up!
Google on Gravity, download and install and a troll-free NG can be
yours!
Regards,
MadNurseGaz
Old February 20th 04, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Google on Gravity, download and install and a troll-free NG can be
yours!

Regards,

Sounds fair, but I'm being inundated with spam, porn, Microsoft (alleged)
updates which carry a worm- on my Outlook Express address.
I'm waiting a reply from Freeserve having asked if the only way to escape is
to start afresh with a new identity.
OT I know but need help.
DaveK.

Old February 20th 04, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

"DaveK" wrote in message
Google on Gravity, download and install and a troll-free NG can be
yours!

Regards,

Sounds fair, but I'm being inundated with spam, porn, Microsoft (alleged)
updates which carry a worm- on my Outlook Express address.
I'm waiting a reply from Freeserve having asked if the only way to escape

is
to start afresh with a new identity.
OT I know but need help.
DaveK.

Get Mailwasher, cheap as chips download and register...view the posts before
downloading... mailwasher has it's own database of repeat offenders and it's
easy to filter the other stuff without dumping your old address...and very
satisfying... I only have to click on a couple of emails to add to the
blacklist out of around 80 to 100 a day now.

http://www.firetrust.com/home/index.php

You can also look via freeserves browser mail function or similar mail2web
but that won't have the advantages of mailwasher, just saves you downloading
and running direct in OE.

Lee D

Old February 21st 04, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:37:14 -0000, The Boss
wrote:

Nfilter/NewsProxy appears to be unobtainable
(well my browser can't find the webpage!)

For a very helpful doc. file,
http://web.archive.org/web/200210130...r.org/faq.html

and for the executable,
http://web.archive.org/web/200202080...120/np-120.exe

This is where I got Newsproxy just after Xmas

(remove the spam to reply)
Old February 21st 04, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:41:20 -0000, "DaveK"
wrote:

Sounds fair, but I'm being inundated with spam, porn, Microsoft (alleged)
updates which carry a worm- on my Outlook Express address.
I'm waiting a reply from Freeserve having asked if the only way to escape is
to start afresh with a new identity.
OT I know but need help.

You need an identity that you can use on newsgroups that wil collect
all the rubbish, and that you can view with webmail to check if anyone
you recognise has sent a message that way just before you dump it. It
helps if this identity is readily changeable so that when the idiots
fill it too quickly you can rename your mailbox and start afresh.
Then you need an identity that you can use for your personal mail. One
of the really good things about NTLworld, now Ntlfreedom is that you
are allowed up to 12 mailboxes that you can change the names on at
will. Up till recently I would have recommended NTL to anyone using a
56k dial up and having a BT line, but they have been playing around
with their connection numbers and nowadays it is not always easy to
get a connection, though it is improving. The deal however is still
just about the best available. Pay 15 a month to NTL and get 15
worth of phone calls from them, plus unmetered internet access 24/7.
Any calls beyond the 15 are charged at the same reasonable rates or
you can use a different supplier for them. I have used them for three
years now and have only ever paid more than 15 three times. This has
brought my total quarterly phone bill down from about 120 to a very
regular 75 ( 30 BT plus 45 Ntl )

(remove the spam to reply)
Old February 21st 04, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
freeman

"The Boss" wrote in message
After a long period when this NG was unusable due to troll activity,
which caused me to unsubscribe and resubscribe several times to see if
things had got better, I have now switched to the Gravity newsreader
whose easily set-up rules have allowed me to filter out the troll
postings.

I'm sorry, but if your brain can't act as a filter, I see little hope. Are
you suggesting
that you cannot detect wheat from chaff using god-given grey-cells?

Old February 21st 04, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Boss

In article ,
says...
Google on Gravity, download and install and a troll-free NG can be
yours!

Regards,

Sounds fair, but I'm being inundated with spam, porn, Microsoft (alleged)
updates which carry a worm- on my Outlook Express address.
I'm waiting a reply from Freeserve having asked if the only way to escape is
to start afresh with a new identity.
OT I know but need help.
DaveK.

Hi, Dave!
You could give MailWasher a try. Get a free download from
www.mailwasher.net
It lets you preview your EMail while it's still on the server, so that
you can decide whether to bounce it, delete it, block it or allow it to
be downloaded. The only setting up is your email account details.
Some users have reported an increase in spam after installing
MailWasher, but most folk seem happy with it.

Suggested action plan:-
1)Open a web-based email account with Hotmail or Yahoo Mail or whoever-
this is your "public" email address, which you should use when
registering with websites, filling in forms, posting to newsgroups, etc.
2)As you suggest above, start afresh with a new identity on your
"outlook express" account- this is your private email address, only
given to people or places you trust. Use it for your personal email.
3)Install MailWasher on your "outlook express" account, and use it to
keep spam out of your Inbox!

Your EMail address is vulnerable to being harvested by Spambots-
webcrawlers which send home any address details they may find on any
server. You can spam-proof your address by adding a word or phrase in
the middle to make it invalid- you do need to inform people of this,
though! As an example, if your email address is , give your
reply address as
or something similar, and then
include something like"reply address is spam-proofed.remove the obvious
to reply" in your signature.
HTH,
Regards,
MadNurseGaz

Old February 21st 04, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
freeman

"Joe Le Caravan" [email protected] wrote in message
That's corny. It was supposed to be rye. It's spelt wrong.

DOH pikey

Old February 21st 04, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
freeman

"Joe Le Caravan" [email protected] wrote in message
Sock paranoia, dude. I'm no-one you know.

It's near enough for me matey.
I can't sit around here all night chatting to you, I need beauty sleep, god
knows

Old February 21st 04, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
freeman

"Joe Le Caravan" [email protected] wrote in message
OK. Night-night. No arse-****ing.

Not tonight, it's banned