Car trailer - dimensions for custom made one?

Old February 21st 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.driving
Lobster

Default Car trailer - dimensions for custom made one?

I'm currently getting a trailer built to my own specifications;
basically I want it as large as possible but still be able to stand up
on its rear end in my garage and fit through the door, for storage -
that is a fairly severe constraint, 77.5" max. Question is, what
dimensions can I get away with for (a) the length of the towing
coupling and (b) the width of the trailer? Obviously if (a) is too
short and (b) is too long, then the corner front of the trailer will
hit the car when I turn a corner or reverse. If I err to far on the
side of safety then I waste volume of the trailer.

Isn't there a 'standard' answer for this? I can't find any info about
it anywhere on the web or usenet.

At the moment, I'm going for a 48"-square trailer (excluding coupling)
- does that sound OK?

Thanks
Old February 21st 04, 01:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.driving
Hitch Lock

Lobster wrote:

I'm currently getting a trailer built to my own specifications;
basically I want it as large as possible but still be able to stand up
on its rear end in my garage and fit through the door, for storage -
that is a fairly severe constraint, 77.5" max. Question is, what
dimensions can I get away with for (a) the length of the towing
coupling and (b) the width of the trailer? Obviously if (a) is too
short and (b) is too long, then the corner front of the trailer will
hit the car when I turn a corner or reverse. If I err to far on the
side of safety then I waste volume of the trailer.

Isn't there a 'standard' answer for this? I can't find any info about
it anywhere on the web or usenet.

At the moment, I'm going for a 48"-square trailer (excluding coupling)
- does that sound OK?

Thanks
David

I don't know about any published rules, but I have just measured my Daxara
trailer. That has a body length of 59", and the hitch length - to the centre
of the towball - is about 28", making the overall length about 88" - which
would seemingly be too long for your purposes. I think that 28" is
reasonable for the hitch length, though. Any less, and you're in danger of
the trailer hitting the car on tight turns. That would seem to fit ok within
your 48" body length and 77.5" overall length suggestion.

I presume that 77.5" is the height of your garage ceiling? The trailer may
have to be less than this in order to fit - depending upon whether the
effective pivot point on the back, when in the process of standing it up, is
at the same height as the hitch when the trailer is horizontal. If it isn't,
you'll have to cater for a diagonal, and will need to invoke our old friend
Pythagoras.

Axle position is also important. To make it easier to reverse **, the axle
needs to be as far back as possible. However, if you put it too far back,
too much of the trailer's load will be imposed on the towball rather than on
the trailer's axle. You should aim at a hitch load of about 7% of the
trailer's fully laden weight - provided this doesn't exceed your towbar's
max. permissible hitch load.

I believe that all trailers these days have to be fitted with a plate which
specifies unladen and fully laden weights (and maybe other things?). I
presume that you are getting your one-off trailer plated, in order to comply
with the regulations?

** If you're interested in the mathematics of trailer reversibility, see
http://www.hampton-magna.freeserve.c...Jack-knife.pdf

[Any trailer of the dimensions you are contemplating is going to b****y
difficult to reverse compared with (say) a caravan].
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old February 21st 04, 01:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.driving
Knight of the Road

"Lobster" wrote

Isn't there a 'standard' answer for this? I can't find any info about
it anywhere on the web or usenet.

Hello David,

I built a trailer based on a caravan chassis when I used to go banger
racing.

Before I did, I went to the library (no internet in them there days) and
found a book, which was published by Indespension, for home builders of
trailers using their parts. This had several plans for trailers, and gave
an enormous amount of advice.

It is especially critical to make the A frame at the front sufficiently
strong, and I remember there was a table showing the strength of steel and
dimensions required according to the weight of the towed vehicle and other
factors.

Personally, in your situation I would find a trailer of the type you
require, ask the owner if you can go over it with a measure, then build it
to the same sizes.

Vince

Truck Driving In Russia- www.coventon.co.uk

Old February 21st 04, 01:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.driving
Hitch Lock

Hitch Lock wrote:

Lobster wrote:

[...]

An afterthought . . Have you considered making the whole thing longer by
using a de-mountable hitch? It this hinged into the upright position, or
even folded away underneath, before standing the trailer on end - but locked
solidly into the horizontal position for towing - the body length rather
than the overall length could then approach your ceiling height limit.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old February 21st 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.driving
Drew

"Lobster" wrote in message
om...
I'm currently getting a trailer built to my own specifications;
basically I want it as large as possible but still be able to stand up
on its rear end in my garage and fit through the door, for storage -
that is a fairly severe constraint, 77.5" max. Question is, what
dimensions can I get away with for (a) the length of the towing
coupling and (b) the width of the trailer? Obviously if (a) is too
short and (b) is too long, then the corner front of the trailer will
hit the car when I turn a corner or reverse. If I err to far on the
side of safety then I waste volume of the trailer.

Isn't there a 'standard' answer for this? I can't find any info about
it anywhere on the web or usenet.

At the moment, I'm going for a 48"-square trailer (excluding coupling)
- does that sound OK?

Thanks
David

I built a trailer some months ago and like you I could not find any
information on the web, well not for free any way, everyone wanted to sell
plans.
My trailer is slightly bigger than you want at 93 inches overall but is
absolutly rock solid on the road
The dimentions are,
Body width, 42 inches.
Body length, 61 inches.
Body hight, 16 inches.
Drawbar including towhitch, 32 inches.
I would advise shrinking yours down to the size you want *proportionatly*
(the drawbar of my trailer could have been 2 inches shorter but no more than
that and I would have moved the axle back a couple of inches for stability)
as you dont want a trailer that is wider than its length, You sugest a width
of 48", depending on the wheels you fit you could end up with a trailer that
is as wide or wider than your car which means you clipping the kerb at every
corner.
I have emailed you a (bad) drawing, hope I have helped
If you want me to send a photo of my trailer let me know (via group unless
you can work out my spamtrapped e-mail address)

Old February 21st 04, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Screamingwitch." [email protected]****er.**** wrote in message
...youre the
biggest troll here,

Compliments will get you nowhere sweetie

Old February 21st 04, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Fry" wrote in message
Dave singlehandedly destroyed uk.local.yorkshire with his trolling.

You are too kind