Fun and games!!

Old February 22nd 04, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

Default Fun and games!!

Just come back from Half Term away. Went to the Club site at Newark - which
we have been to before, is fairly close to home, even closer to relatives,
and we like it there!

VERY windy when setting off - and I was not looking forward to the drive
home.

10 minutes away from the site, a car horn hooted as overtaking us on the A46
dual-carriageway coming out of Newark. Quick look in the mirror showed the
rooflight flapping away in the wind.

We had had problems with it previously, which I "solved" by taping it shut
using newspaper and electrical tape, and no problems with it since August.

I stopped in the nearest layby, and discovered that the the rooflight was
two plastic panes glued together, and these had come apart. I was certain
that taping them together would enable me to crawl home (45 miles or so)
before considering my options. However, I had no tape!

I called Direct Line (in respect of another post - I am a member of Direct
Line, but not through the Caravan Club). They came out to me even though
the car was fine! They proceeded to remove the two glass panes completely -
leaving me with no rooflight panels at all!

By this point, I had already decided to drive the caravan back to the
dealers in South Lincolnshire rather than towing back to Grimsby only to
have to take it to them at some point, anyway, for repair.

I duly did, through gale, snow, sleet (fortunately, nothing got into the
caravan).

It is now safely tucked up at the dealers, who will carry out a couple of
warranty repairs, give it its annual service (slightly early) and replace
the water pump (see my post of early Jan).

A fun day!

Old February 22nd 04, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
[...]

What do you do for excitement?

Mary

Old February 22nd 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:16:23 -0000, "Leyland_Leopard"
wrote:

| I stopped in the nearest layby, and discovered that the the rooflight was
| two plastic panes glued together, and these had come apart. I was certain
| that taping them together would enable me to crawl home (45 miles or so)
| before considering my options. However, I had no tape!

smug
That is nothing, I once sat down very hard on, and broke, the bit of wood
which was the base of the bed and the table, in the middle of Germany, when
we could *had* to get to the next site on time. So we were lacking a bed
and table :-( Having no German, we could not recognise the equivalent of
B&Q though we must have passed several. Eventualy we saw something which
said "Hobby and Gardening" So we bought a tape measure, measured up the
hole and pursuaded this German bloke to cut some wood to size without
either of us understanding a word the other said.
/smug
The "bits box" in the new van has an amazing selection of ?useful? things,
to go with the tool kit in the car. Must put gaffer tape in before we go
out again.

Dave F
Old February 22nd 04, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
Just come back from Half Term away. Went to the Club site at Newark -

which
we have been to before, is fairly close to home, even closer to relatives,
and we like it there!

For anyone interested, pics of the week away (not of the damaged skylight!)
@ http://tinyurl.com/ywvaz

Old February 22nd 04, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
Just come back from Half Term away. Went to the Club site at Newark -

which
we have been to before, is fairly close to home, even closer to

relatives,
and we like it there!

For anyone interested, pics of the week away (not of the damaged

skylight!)
@ http://tinyurl.com/ywvaz

A VULCAN!!! :-)))))))))))))))))

Thanks :-)

Mary

Old February 22nd 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Mary Fisher wrote on Sunday (22/02/2004) :
A VULCAN!!! :-)))

Thanks :-)

Mary

Pointy ears?

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Old February 22nd 04, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

And it is one that I have worked on many years ago.

Cheers, Peter.

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
:
: "Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
: ...
:

Old February 22nd 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
freeman

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message
And it is one that I have worked on many years ago.

Have you flown in one?

Old February 23rd 04, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

"freeman" wrote in message

"Peter Milnes" wrote in message
And it is one that I have worked on many years ago.

Have you flown in one?

No but I have sat in the co-pilot's seat and we used to be under the flight
path for Waddington