Microwave advise please .

Old February 23rd 04, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Davey Boy

Default Microwave advise please .

Can any of you good caravanners out there give me some advice please.

I am looking to buy a microwave for my tourer,
Firstly can any one advise me on the maximum wattage microwave that I
can use on a site hook-up as most modern microwaves tend to be 800W.
secondly is the size , I am rather limited to space so a compact oven
is really essential.
I always use hook-up when on site so 240 volt will be fine,
Any help or website references would be appreciated.

Thanks
Davey Boy
Old February 23rd 04, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I am looking to buy a microwave for my tourer,
Firstly can any one advise me on the maximum wattage microwave that I
can use on a site hook-up as most modern microwaves tend to be 800W.

We've had no problems with 800w microwaves. Some sites with 3amp trips might
cut it off but most have a good power suply nowadays.
Shop around- think Makro, or maybe Aldi had them a few weeks ago for about
30.
DaveK.

Old February 23rd 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

DaveK wrote:

I am looking to buy a microwave for my tourer,
Firstly can any one advise me on the maximum wattage microwave that I
can use on a site hook-up as most modern microwaves tend to be 800W.

We've had no problems with 800w microwaves. Some sites with 3amp
trips might cut it off but most have a good power suply nowadays.
Shop around- think Makro, or maybe Aldi had them a few weeks ago for
about 30.
DaveK.

BUT, be aware that a microwave with 800 watts of cooking power will consume
at least TWICE that in input power. You would thus need over 6.5 amps just
for the microwave. This is not a problem with a 16A supply - and is probably
not a problem with a 10A supply as long as you don't have too many other
things (kettles, space heaters, etc.) switched on at the same time.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old February 23rd 04, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

We have used a 650 Matsui from Curry's for many years and only problem
arises when amps is less than 6; then we have to switch everything else off
and switch on the microwave by closing the door instead of turning the
switch.
To travel we place it on floor with padding around; in use it sits either on
the glass top of the cooker or on the flat top opposite.
Remember to wrap the glass turntable in a dishtowel or similar.

Old February 23rd 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Green

Davey.

Do not get confused as to the ratings on microwaves. The input wattage is
about twice the output therefore a 800W microwave will need approx. 1600W to
power it. This is about 6.5 amps ignoring any start-up surges.

Richard

Old February 26th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:56:25 -0000, "Richard Green"
wrote:

Davey.

Do not get confused as to the ratings on microwaves. The input wattage is
about twice the output therefore a 800W microwave will need approx. 1600W to
power it. This is about 6.5 amps ignoring any start-up surges.

Richard

True of older microwaves, it really depends of the type of oven,
modern inventer types are much more efficient. Our Panasonic one at
home has a 1000 watt output for 1260 watt input.

As Richard says the start up current will often take out the pitch
trip.
You should be OK in the UK as nearly all hook-ups are 10 or 16 amp,
France & Spain most are 5A older sites 3A, Germany 10A, Italy nearly
all sites are 3A.

Lenny