'Holdons" ?

Old February 25th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

Default 'Holdons" ?

Hi All,

Anyone used any of those 'Holdons' (no, not holdups Mary) like wot you
see advertised in the C&CC mag and found on:

www.holdon.info

?

They seem like a good idea for ground sheets or holding back the odd
awning etc?

Might even allow me to fit some exta tie-down points on the motorcycle
covers to stop them lifting off in the gales?

All the best ..

T i m
Old February 28th 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HN

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:27:56 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

Anyone used any of those 'Holdons' (no, not holdups Mary) like wot you
see advertised in the C&CC mag and found on:

www.holdon.info

?

They seem like a good idea for ground sheets or holding back the odd
awning etc?

Might even allow me to fit some exta tie-down points on the motorcycle
covers to stop them lifting off in the gales?

All the best ..

T i m

Hi Tim

Looks to me like they're plastic - i.e. breakable!

Best way to do what you want(and for free!) is to push a small smooth
pebble(or marble) into the material at the point you want an extra
fastening, and then tie your cord around the material wrapped pebble,
and guy to where ever you need.

With this method, you can place extra fastenings anywhere in your
material, you're not restricted to the edges! With the right knot,
this fastening cannot pull out, and is unbreakable.

A friend and I used this method to construct a large shelter/tent in a
wood, out of an old cargo parachute.

Neil

Old March 3rd 04, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:15:49 +0000, HN wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:27:56 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

Anyone used any of those 'Holdons' (no, not holdups Mary) like wot you
see advertised in the C&CC mag and found on:

www.holdon.info

?

They seem like a good idea for ground sheets or holding back the odd
awning etc?

Might even allow me to fit some exta tie-down points on the motorcycle
covers to stop them lifting off in the gales?

All the best ..

T i m

Hi Tim

Looks to me like they're plastic - i.e. breakable!

Hi Neil g Hmm, could be so .. ?

Best way to do what you want(and for free!) is to push a small smooth
pebble(or marble) into the material at the point you want an extra
fastening, and then tie your cord around the material wrapped pebble,
and guy to where ever you need.

Learnt that in the Scouts did we .. what a simple idea ..!

With this method, you can place extra fastenings anywhere in your
material, you're not restricted to the edges! With the right knot,
this fastening cannot pull out, and is unbreakable.

Till the material rots etc ..

A friend and I used this method to construct a large shelter/tent in a
wood, out of an old cargo parachute.

Hmm, ok, might give it a go .. need some marbles (lost mine years ago
(before Mary chips in)) .. now where's my daughters toy box ;-)

All the best Neil ...

T i m
Old March 4th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HN

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 12:32:06 +0000, T i m wrote:

[...]

By breakable, I fear that they could snap in a gust of wind.

No, I was never in the Scouts! I think I must have read it in a book
a long, long time ago. But it really is simple, and you can nearly
always find a pebble outdoors.

"Till the material rots etc .." ? That's about right ) The only
real risk is using an inappropriate knot, and then being unable to
remove it (

Have fun if you try it.

Neil

Old March 5th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Trevor

HN wrote in message . ..
[...]

I have used them for extra guying points on the sides of an Isabella
suncanopy. They held extremely well during a howling gale (and did not
break!). I think they are well worth the cost.

Trevor