Help Pajero owners Please

« - | - »

Old February 28th 04, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Glenn Clark

Default Help Pajero owners Please

Hi all

I need some advice from the Pajero owners out there, just sold my Frontera
for my new long saved for Pajero and now need to fit a towbar. I have seen 2
types fitted out and about, 1 that fits in the middle of the chrome bumper
removeding the towing eye and 1 that fits underneath across the vehicle.

Can anyone tell me how easy either of these is to fit and also how did you
go about wiring up the electric, I did my Frontera but all the light wires
were already sat underneath in a plug which I just cut off. How did you run
the wires from the battery and the alternator light from the front to the
back, I had a quick look and could not see and easy way to connect to the
alternator light.

Sorry for all the question but have saved for years to buy 1 of these and
want to get it right. Thanks in advance

Glenn

Old February 28th 04, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Digital

"Glenn Clark" wrote in message
news:jI_%[email protected]
[...]

If you saved for years and the car is your pride and joy, I can't understand
why you are trying to save a couple of hundred pounds by D.I.Y'ing it.

You run the risk of invalidating the warranty on any items that Mitsubishi
claim to have been affected by the installation - modern cars are so complex
that who knows 'what' might be linked into the harness?

I change my car on a regular basis, and factor in the cost of a
professionally fitted bar (not necessarily 'dealer fitted') as a matter of
course - cheaper in the long run.

Old February 28th 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Glenn Clark

Its not a brand new 1 its a 94, the problem is I can't get it done for a
month from the local suppliers and we are going away before this

Old February 28th 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Digital

"Glenn Clark" wrote in message
news:GZ_%[email protected]
[...]

Sorry, my mistake.

At '94, the wiring will probably be much simpler. I have wired my own cars
in the past - and never had any real problems. I don't understand why you
want to connect to the alternator though?

I used to break into the rear lighting harness (using 'scotch-locks -
although there are probably better connectors available now) and run a
single cable direct to the positive terminal on the battery for the fridge
relay (using the car bodywork in the boot for an earth) You can usually
find a way through the bulkhead for the single cable - a grommet, or
similar.

Use an audible warning for the flashers - and that's about it, really.

Old February 28th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Glenn Clark

I thought you needed to fix a wire to the alternator light for the split
charge relay so it does not draw power when the engine is off.

Old February 28th 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Digital

"Glenn Clark" wrote in message
news:Z7%%[email protected]
I thought you needed to fix a wire to the alternator light for the split
charge relay so it does not draw power when the engine is off.

Pass. I'm not an auto electrician and wouldn't want to give you he wrong
advice.

I certainly don't remember wiring up to the alternator, although it's been
many years since I wired my last tow car ( Fiat Strada, IIRC)

There will be lots of people here who can give you chapter and verse on it,
though.

Good luck

Old February 28th 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

"Digital" wrote in message

"Glenn Clark" wrote in message
news:Z7%%[email protected]
I thought you needed to fix a wire to the alternator light for the split
charge relay so it does not draw power when the engine is off.

Pass. I'm not an auto electrician and wouldn't want to give you he wrong
advice.

I certainly don't remember wiring up to the alternator, although it's been
many years since I wired my last tow car ( Fiat Strada, IIRC)

There will be lots of people here who can give you chapter and verse on

it,
though.

Good luck

Glenn you are right. I usually wire a relay to the alternator such that if
the charge light illuminates the relay cuts the feed to the battery in the
caravan and fridge. That way you will be safe in the knowledge that your car
battery will always be safe and not get flattened if you stop for lunch
somewhere or what haveyou. This is about the simplest form of split charge
circuit and works.

Sorry I can't offer any advice regards the rest but good luck with it, and
it's nice to see that someone isn't rushing in head first.

Lee D

--
________________________________
www.lrproject.com

Old February 28th 04, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:40:36 -0000, "Glenn Clark"
wrote:

I thought you needed to fix a wire to the alternator light for the split
charge relay so it does not draw power when the engine is off.

It used to be common practice to wire the switching wire from the
relay to the alternator warning light terminal. This is not
recommended on modern alternators the extra load can damage the
alternator.
Wire it to a switched ignition feed or fit a voltage sensing relay.

Lenny
Old February 28th 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

It used to be common practice to wire the switching wire from the
relay to the alternator warning light terminal. This is not
recommended on modern alternators the extra load can damage the
alternator.
Wire it to a switched ignition feed or fit a voltage sensing relay.

Easiest I found on a Xantia was to connect into the glove box lamp. Live
only with ignition on.
Inside the car and easy to get at. Wire to the relay tucked nicely under the
carpet trim
DaveK.

Old February 28th 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane

In article jI_%[email protected],
says...
[...]

I have installed and wired a couple of tow bars and found the easiest
way to run the wires from the battery to the back of the car is to go
underneath. That way you don't need to worry about breaking through the
bulkhead and it is usually easy to find some way into the back of a
vehicle. I put the convoluted tubing round the cables too give added
protection and used cable ties round whatever holes were convenient in
the chassis, running up inside box sections where able to.

You shouldn't need to connect to the alternator light. Use a voltage
sensing split charge relay fitted under the bonnet, connected to a feed
directly to the battery. It senses the increase in voltage when the
battery is charging and only feeds the power through then.

You will find useful info on relays etc on the the Ryder Towing and
Towitall sites

http://www.rydertowing.co.uk/

http://www.towitall.co.uk/trailer_wi...structions.htm

I used the Ryder split-charge and by-pass relays on my last install, no
problems whatsoever.

Ian

« - | - »