Tow car replacement?

Old February 28th 04, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Reed

Default Tow car replacement?

Hi,

Thinking of replacing the old Rover 827 auto (G reg) which has been fanatic
for the last seven years towing.

I like the idea of diesel power for torque and economy around town, I like
the idea of an automatic (but not important) but realise that there's not
enough choice in diesel form!

I'm now beginning to have trouble getting into my car or any car that is low
down, so properly looking at the medium size MPV's?

Any thoughts on the Ford Focus C-Max, or New shape Renault Scenic?

Thanks

Stephen Reed

Old February 28th 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:59:51 -0000, "Stephen Reed"
wrote:

Hi,

Thinking of replacing the old Rover 827 auto (G reg) which has been fanatic
for the last seven years towing.

I like the idea of diesel power for torque and economy around town, I like
the idea of an automatic (but not important) but realise that there's not
enough choice in diesel form!

I'm now beginning to have trouble getting into my car or any car that is low
down, so properly looking at the medium size MPV's?

Any thoughts on the Ford Focus C-Max, or New shape Renault Scenic?

I would have thought that either of these would be a lot less capable
than your old Rover, my old Rover was a superb tug. One of the few
vehicles towing a similar sized caravan to mine which overtook me and
diappeared into the dust whilst towing on the motorway was a Seat MPV,
diesel version.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old February 28th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Stephen Reed posted ...

Hi,

Thinking of replacing the old Rover 827 auto (G reg) which has been
fanatic for the last seven years towing.

I like the idea of diesel power for torque and economy around town, I
like the idea of an automatic (but not important) but realise that
there's not enough choice in diesel form!

I'm now beginning to have trouble getting into my car or any car that
is low down, so properly looking at the medium size MPV's?

Any thoughts on the Ford Focus C-Max, or New shape Renault Scenic?

I dunno the Scenic, but I do know the 1.9 turbo engine (same as a Laguna)
that it's fitted with, and it's more capable for towing than the Rover 827
lump ..

The engine mapping is excellent for towing with a lot of low-down grunt
(torque) but with enough high-end to be fun too .. A most excellent engine.

I couldn't say what the chassis itself tows like ... but the Laguna,
possibly only a family resemblance though, was well behaved, but not quite
as impeccable as my current Land Rover Discovery ..

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Old February 28th 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Glynn

wrote:

[...]

The Seat MPV would probably have the 1.9 diesel(130ps) in it, its made by
Volkswagen. In fact they have the same diesel engines in the Volkswagen
Sharon, Ford Galaxy,Seat Alhambra and some Skoda's. Its supposed to be
really good although rather dearer than its petrol counterparts.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old February 28th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Reed

Thanks, I could go for a test drive and study the vehicles weights etc, it
may be a pleasent drive without the van, but who knows what's it like when
towing? Just have to go for the 1.9 turbos, just to be on the right side?

Steve

Steve

Old February 28th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:02:14 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

I dunno the Scenic, but I do know the 1.9 turbo engine (same as a Laguna)
that it's fitted with, and it's more capable for towing than the Rover 827
lump ..

I'm not sure that I would agree with you, I used an 2litre Rover for
some years and it was a superb towcar with torque and power in all the
right places, The 827 produced more power and more torque in the same
places and was by all accounts even better. As an aside it took me a
considerable time to get used to towing with the Volvo I replaced the
Rover with, on this 2 litre car the torque and power are there in
plentiful supplies but not at the points where you would use them,
which means I either drive at abot 65 in 5th or at about 55 in fourth
if I want a responsive car. Mind you as the Volvo is a superbly stable
and competent tig, and as the years go by I get better at using it's
capabilities.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old February 29th 04, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

bill lord posted ...

wrote:

I dunno the Scenic, but I do know the 1.9 turbo engine (same as a
Laguna) that it's fitted with, and it's more capable for towing than
the Rover 827 lump ..

I'm not sure that I would agree with you, I used an 2litre Rover for
some years and it was a superb towcar with torque and power in all the
right places, The 827 produced more power and more torque in the same
places and was by all accounts even better.

I can assure you that the 827 our family had for a while was OK at towing,
but by no means good. The engine wasn't too bad, but the suspension was
crap, and the steering sharpness so compromised that you more hinted at
steering rather than driving it. Overall it was just crap. Maybe it was
just a bad example ..

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Old February 29th 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Reed

My 827 is still firm on the suspension at 103,000 miles and the steering
very percise. I'm now thinking of just keeping the Rover for towing and just
getting a diesel run-a-bout...

Thanks for all your help,

Steve
bill lord posted ...

Old February 29th 04, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sam Tana

Stephen Reed wrote:

Any thoughts on the Ford Focus C-Max, or New shape Renault Scenic?

The C-Max got a very good review in a recent C&CC mag. Described as
something like "a near perfect towcar".

Sam

Old February 29th 04, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:08:49 +0000, Sam Tana
wrote:

The C-Max got a very good review in a recent C&CC mag. Described as
something like "a near perfect towcar".

But not heavy enough for the vast majority of new vans.
(remove the spam to reply)