Pressure cookers

Old February 29th 04, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
James Roberts

Default Pressure cookers

Hi everyone........We contemplating buying a small pressure cooker for the
van. Any suggestions or thoughts.

thanks

Carol & Jim R

Old February 29th 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

"James Roberts" wrote in message
Hi everyone........We contemplating buying a small pressure cooker for the
van. Any suggestions or thoughts.

The only problem I would have with that is that they are very heavy. For
that reason alone I don't take mine. If I take anything extra from the
kitchen it will be the electric steamer.

Ophelia

Old February 29th 04, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Ophelia wrote:

"James Roberts" wrote in message
Hi everyone........We contemplating buying a small pressure cooker
for the van. Any suggestions or thoughts.

The only problem I would have with that is that they are very heavy.
For that reason alone I don't take mine. If I take anything extra
from the kitchen it will be the electric steamer.

Ophelia

They *are* heavy compared with ordinary saucepans - but in absolute terms,
they're not going to make that much difference to the overall outfit weight.
And they do save an awful lot of gas!

We keep our old Prestige pressure cooker in the van. We had to replace it
for domestic use when we bought a new cooker with a ceramic hob - because it
was slightly bowed on the bottom. It's fine on gas though. I'm pretty sure
it's made of aluminium - albeit fairly thick, and I don't think it's quite
as heavy as its replacement. If you don't mind second-hand, you often see
them going for a song at car-boot sales.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old February 29th 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

[...]

I agree with all you say We always get electric hook up and use that in
preference to gas since it comes in with the cost of the site

Ophelia

Old February 29th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Murphy

big heavy, usual pressure cooker plusses and minuses, plus the gas saving of
course.

Question - with Propane, could you have the gas low enough, or would it be
too hot?

In damp weather might reduce any condensation problems you may have.

but the noise ... my wife won't use one in the caravan, thinks its too
embarrassing! - as for the whistle on the kettle .....

Old February 29th 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BrianG

"Richard Murphy" wrote in message
big heavy, usual pressure cooker plusses and minuses, plus the gas saving

of
course.

Question - with Propane, could you have the gas low enough, or would it be
too hot?

In damp weather might reduce any condensation problems you may have.

but the noise ... my wife won't use one in the caravan, thinks its too
embarrassing! - as for the whistle on the kettle .....

Only recollecltions of Pressure Cookers is when I cooked Lentil Soup many
years agao and the Lentils blocked the safety valve. The result in a Caravan
would have been even more devastating. BANG and lentils in places you've
never even thought of!

Old March 1st 04, 03:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark Pond

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:10:31 -0000, "James Roberts"
wrote:

Hi everyone........We contemplating buying a small pressure cooker for the
van. Any suggestions or thoughts.

If you're *really* stupid, you'll buy one.

Not only is it almost impossible to bring a pressure cooker up to the
required heat on your average caravan hob, but your caravan insurance
will be invalidated if you DO use one!

PLEASE, DON'T DO IT!

Mark.
Old March 1st 04, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

wrote:

Hi everyone........We contemplating buying a small pressure cooker for

the
van. Any suggestions or thoughts.

If you're *really* stupid, you'll buy one.

No James is NOT stupid. He was asking a valid question.

Ophelia

Old March 1st 04, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 07:18:32 -0000, "Ophelia" wrote:

| "Mark Pond" wrote in message
| On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:10:31 -0000, "James Roberts"
| wrote:
|
| Hi everyone........We contemplating buying a small pressure cooker for
| the
| van. Any suggestions or thoughts.
|
| If you're *really* stupid, you'll buy one.
|
| No James is NOT stupid. He was asking a valid question.

a Groups.google search
http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_group_search?hl=en
for "Mark Pond" reveals only the post quoted above :-(

Nuff said!

Dave F

Old March 1st 04, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
pb

"Mark Pond" wrote

If you're *really* stupid, you'll buy one.

Not only is it almost impossible to bring a pressure cooker up to the
required heat on your average caravan hob, but your caravan insurance
will be invalidated if you DO use one!

PLEASE, DON'T DO IT!

Mark.

We used a pressure cooker regularly when we camped. We had a normal camping
stove and had no problems that I can recall. As for insurance, I have no
idea, but why would they affect it? Pressure cookers are not particularly
dangerous, certainly no more so than say a frying pan or even a microwave.

pb